Problem accessing certain photos located on forum.

Started by Brooksy, October 08, 2014, 08:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooksy

Dear Tech Gurus,

I'm having problems viewing certain photos. Specifically the last five photos posted by user redtrain in his media gallery. I first saw this in the thread "Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N". The photos that he (redtrain) linked to did not show on my computer but just displayed "Sorry, you are not allowed to view this file. Make sure you are connected to the server."

This was on my home computer, on my work computer it was OK and I didn't have that problem. Now I'm back home again I see the problem again. If I go to redtrain's media album I can see all the thumbnails of his photos, but if I move my pointer over the latest five images I get the same "Sorry, you are not allowed to view this file. Make sure you are connected to the server." message. The other 30-odd photos in that album seem OK.

I don't seem to be having a problem with any other photos posted by other users. I am using firefox on windows 8.1 on the affected computer. At work I use firefox on windows 7 so maybe it is a windows issue but that doesn't seem plausible.

Any suggestions to what I can do to fix this?

Cheers,

Brooksy

Tank

Sorry for the delay!

I've checked the folders permissions and everything is set up correctly.  All I can suggest is that you clear your cache on the machines that aren't working with the pictures, and then they 'should' work.  :)

Keep me posted!

Brooksy

Hi Tank,

Now managed to get a go on the offending computer. I didn't really want to clear my entire cash so did a bit of searching and found that key combination ctrl+F5 clears the cache for a particular page and that worked - yay! Then I tried it for another image I am having problems with:

[smg id=17123]

which is quoted in thread:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24000.msg253934#msg253934

Other people also reported problems in observing this image in that thread. Here, for me, the ctrl+F5 did not work. I could try the clear cache option or maybe 'forget about this site' but then I don't really want to so might live with it.

Also in regards this image, when I go to Oldun's (the OP) media gallery I do not see any of his pictures. It says there are 231 items but when I click the hyperlink (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=profile;u=3137;area=aevaitems) no images appear. I can see there should be 12 pages of images and click on page 2,3, etc. but never see any images.

If I switch to windows explorer on the same computer I do not have this problem - all very strange.

Cheers,

Brooksy

petercharlesfagg

If it is ANY consolation, I have just tried to view using IE8, Firefox and Chrome and they all give me the same error message that you have found!!

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Brooksy

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on October 14, 2014, 08:22:54 AM
If it is ANY consolation, I have just tried to view using IE8, Firefox and Chrome and they all give me the same error message that you have found!!

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry to say that it is a little bit of consolation. I have also realised that I have this problem on this computer too, whereas my original problem was only on one computer.

Cheers,

Brooksy

Caz

On the affected computer and using Firefox, when on the NGF find a picture you can see and right click on it.  Select "Image Info" and a window should come up with a list of info, across the top of the pop up window is a series of buttons, select "Permissions" and check that the permissions for the "N Gauge Forum" are either set to "Default" or "Allow" as these settings can affect what Firefox can show on what website.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Brooksy

Quote from: Caz on October 14, 2014, 05:35:04 PM
On the affected computer and using Firefox, when on the NGF find a picture you can see and right click on it.  Select "Image Info" and a window should come up with a list of info, across the top of the pop up window is a series of buttons, select "Permissions" and check that the permissions for the "N Gauge Forum" are either set to "Default" or "Allow" as these settings can affect what Firefox can show on what website.

Hi Caz,

I did check what you suggested and the permissions were OK, but also on that window there was a section for cookies and there I deleted all the cookies from the NGF. After that the images did show but I couldn't log in to the forum again because I couldn't remember my password. I've now found out my password so will, this evening, check again on that computer and see if everything is OK.

Cheers,

Brooksy

Brooksy

Nope - now logged in again and pictures are not accessible.  :(

Pengi

Can you delete the cache and the cookies again and check if you can see the images when you are not logged in and when you are logged in?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Brooksy

Quote from: Pengi on October 16, 2014, 10:00:41 PM
Can you delete the cache and the cookies again and check if you can see the images when you are not logged in and when you are logged in?

Sorry I can only check things in the evening but I did already check what you suggested with regards cookies (but not cache). I coluldn't see the image initially, then I deleted the cookies and so was in un-logged in state and could see the images but then when logged back in could not see the images. I'll check again later with regards deleting the cache.

Brooksy

Just tried that - deleted complete cache and cookies - could view images and Oldun's media gallery - log back in and all gone again.

Pengi

Quote from: Brooksy on October 17, 2014, 08:29:30 PM

Just tried that - deleted complete cache and cookies - could view images and Oldun's media gallery - log back in and all gone again.
Can you check if you can see the images now - I have changed a setting
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Brooksy

Quote from: Pengi on October 18, 2014, 07:31:07 AM
Can you check if you can see the images now - I have changed a setting

Yes! I can!   :claphappy:  :claphappy:  :claphappy: :thankyousign:

I don't know what you did, but it worked! I need to press ctrl+F5 on this page for a full refresh but when I clicked onto Oldun's media gallery I could see all the pictures straight away.

Thanks again for your help.

Brooksy

Brooksy

Got a problem with another image - this time number 8210.

[smg id=8210]

I noticed it referenced here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17436.msg175516#msg175516 by Only Me, but I am not sure if it's his image (I guess so). Is there a way to search the media gallery for a particular image (e.g. number 8210) - I couldn't see this?

This post is a year old so is it possible the image has been deleted? If not, is the same problem as before?

Brooksy

Quote from: Only Me on October 29, 2014, 10:00:40 AM
We lost a lot of images during the sever move, think this is one of them!

What can I help you with ?

I was just reviewing the rest of the rusting/griming thread and thought that the problem was the same as one I had before. In that case Pengi tweaked a setting and the picture magically reappeared. If it is lost maybe you can edit your original post with a message along the lines: sorry image lost.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations