Searching

Started by Sprintex, November 21, 2014, 06:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprintex

Hello all :wave:

We get quite a few comments and complaints that the Search facility doesn't find certain topics or keywords on occasion. It appears that many people are using the Search box in the top right corner of the page, which apparently only searches the current topic unless you change the parameter in the dropdown box.

A much better option is to use the Search button located in the main menu at the top, highlighted in bold for ease of location, situated next to "NGF Links". This has more options and automatically defaults to searching ALL sub-forums unless you change the ticked checkbox.

Hopefully this will help people finding out if key topics have previously been discussed :thumbsup:

Paul

Brooksy

I don't suppose that it is possible to get to search box top right to default to 'Entire Forum' is it? That would be the much easier solution - I generally use this search box and change manually.

railsquid

That would be preferable to hoping newcomers unfamiliar with the system search for advice on search which they can't find due to the non-obvious search default  :confused2:

Bealman

I really think this is a bit of a no brainer discussion. I'm on my phone at the moment here in Australia and if I click on the top right search box I get the drop down and can search the entire forum.

Don't see what the problem is and I certainly don't think it's worth software changes.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

The problem is that, not being familiar with this particular forum/forum software, one puts a term in the search box that's in the same place as on similar forums, clicks "search" without noticing the drop-down box, and finds - nothing as it's the opposite to expected behaviour. It happened to me a couple of times before I cottoned on (and I'm used to working round unexpected behaviour in software; my first guess was that search was broken, which is not unknown), and I keep seeing posts from people who say they searched and didn't find anything followed by a slightly sarky post from someone who's been here a bit longer along the lines "Hey dude, why didn't you find these totally obvious links?".

Caz

That's why every time I mention the search function I always say the search function "in the menu bar".  I believe the search box is hard coded into the software package the forum uses and cannot be changed.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Bealman

If you find a post offensive, such as the one you quote, please report it, railsquid.

railsquid

OK, I'm exaggerating a bit there, but (as a relative noob myself) I do detect a certain mismatch between the experiences of newcomers and of those more used to the idiosyncracies of this particular board which could potentially easily be solved, or at least be made aware of.

(On a more positive note, I actually like this board software in general and once the delivery of round tuits arrives I might convert one of my own boards).

Bealman

I got meself a Commodore VIC-20 back in 1982 and am now typing this on a phone. If people join this forum, they are interested in model railways and, I presume intelligent enough to work it out.

We don't need to dumb down the format.

railsquid

Commodore, eh? Meh. Sinclair all the way  :claphappy:

Anyway I'll shut up now and go back to asking dumb questions about DCC or something  :D

Bealman

I had one of those Sinclair white things... ZX80? Then one of those horrible ZX81s. Thank heavens I didn't buy a Spectrum.  :thumbsup:

Tank

I must admit to being caught out in searches in the past myself.  :)  You soon realise that 'entire forum' needs to be chosen when you are currently within a thread, as otherwise you're just searching the thread.

I'm happy for it to stay as it is for now.

Sprintex

Oi don't dis the Spectrum, those rubber keys came in very handy when you'd misplaced your pencil eraser! :P Still got a Spectrum for retro-gaming, it's upstairs with the Atari 2600 and Atari ST :D

Paul

Bealman

You know that you can turn yer phone into a C64? As if yer'd want to, like....

:offtopicsign:

PLD

The internal search function is a weakness of most forum software... Infact SMF is better than most, once you understand the options... There is a whole lot worse out there!!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations