Farish NEM short couplings

Started by terrysoham, January 22, 2012, 06:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrysoham

If I use these on my dmu how much closer will the carriages be?  In other words how much shorter are they?
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of High Lodge logging railway (009) and in the process of building a new layout based on Soham in 1944

Jack

I have a new three car 101 and a two car 101.

I found that using all short couplings they both had trouble on both 3rd & 4th curves, buffer problems :( . I ended up fitting the short rapidos just on the middle coach of the three car unit and just one short on one side of the two car unit, which made a bit of difference.

Jack

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

terrysoham

Quote from: Jack9465 on January 22, 2012, 06:51:20 PM

I have a new three car 101 and a two car 101.

I found that using all short couplings they both had trouble on both 3rd & 4th curves, buffer problems :( . I ended up fitting the short rapidos just on the middle coach of the three car unit and just one short on one side of the two car unit, which made a bit of difference.

Jack
Thanks, but how much closer were the carriages?

Terry
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of High Lodge logging railway (009) and in the process of building a new layout based on Soham in 1944

Jack

Terry

The gap between my two car 101 is 2.5mm, that's using one short rapido and one normal one. The overall length is 252mm buffer to buffer.

If you look at http://www.ehattons.com/10349/Graham_Farish_371_501_Class_101_2_car_DMU_in_Regional_Railways_livery_/StockDetail.aspx  you'll see the length it normally would be. (one of the pictures has a rule lying along the two car unit)

It does make things look better particularly if you remove the rapidos from the front and rear of the complete 101 unit. I can't do photos at the moment to show you.

Hope that helps.

Jack

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations