a complete newbie !

Started by cjbeattie, January 12, 2015, 01:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjbeattie

Hey i just wondered is there a dcc train set starter set for sale anywhere in N gauge and from uk? that would save alot of hassle in the end and having to convert later on.. If the DCC controller etc were aleady there.. and save me money in the long run..

looked on ebay but cant find one..

jesus train sets use to be easy theres so much stuff out there now its a mine field to newcomers

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 05:26:50 PM
Hey i just wondered is there a dcc train set starter set for sale anywhere in N gauge and from uk? that would save alot of hassle in the end and having to convert later on.. If the DCC controller etc were aleady there.. and save me money in the long run..

jesus train sets use to be easy theres so much stuff out there now its a mine field to newcomers

Graham Farish do a couple http://www.grahamfarish.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=farish&prod=0
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 05:26:50 PM

Dapol do one too http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=177_59_278
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

cjbeattie

thanks austinbob

that looks very nice indeed..

http://www.grahamfarish.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/farish/370-080.jpg&cat_no=370-080&info=209&width=600&height=424

cheaper here

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000589/1000699/N_Gauge_Train_sets_DCC/prodlistbyscaleandtype.aspx

hold on a minute if with DCC you can run multiple trains on the same line isnt collisions possible then? :confused1:

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 05:37:09 PM
thanks austinbob

that looks very nice indeed..

http://www.grahamfarish.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/farish/370-080.jpg&cat_no=370-080&info=209&width=600&height=424

hold on a minute if with DCC you can run multiple trains on the same line isnt collisions possible then? :confused1:

Yup -  but you're driving and you can adjust the speed of all the trains. You can also make sure, like in real life, that only one train is running on one stretch of track at a time. Your DCC set up would allow you, for example. to run a train on each of an inside and outside loop while shunting another in the sidings.
???

Bob Austin

cjbeattie

wow dcc really has transformed things from the old 'mainline' days.. shunting while running another  :claphappy:

the old mainline train which i still have for someone who asked earlier is a wee green 6 wheeled thing with the number 3205 not sure what type it is.. just kept it for sentimental reasons i guess..

so with the above set if i bought it the dcc controller with that set would be compatible with any dcc engine i bought then? Gonna have a word with my other half tonight about the price  ::)

wish me luck ! lol

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 05:50:08 PM
wow dcc really has transformed things from the old 'mainline' days.. shunting while running another  :claphappy:
so with the above set if i bought it the dcc controller with that set would be compatible with any dcc engine i bought then? Gonna have a word with my other half tonight about the price  ::)

wish me luck ! lol
Generally that's right - you should be able to use any NRMA standard controller with any NRMA standard DCC chipped loco. I think the Farish and Dapol sets I've pointed you towards should be ok in this respect. I'm not a DCC man myself - I use a DC layout and there are probably hundreds of people on this forum who could give you much better informed advice on DCC. It might be worth reading a couple of books about DCC to give you more insight about what DCC is and what it can do.
I couple of books I have found useful are 'Digital Command Control - the definitive guide' by Ian Morton and  'A practical introduction to Digital command control for railway modellers' by Nigel Burkin.

Good luck with the other half on explaining the outlay!!
:beers:

Bob Austin

cjbeattie

thanks bob

may i ask why you never moved to dcc? watched a few videos on utube regarding it and it looks amazing the control one has compared to what it use to be..

Im hoping that controller will run all the dcc engines i buy.. i will test with a cheap second hand one first

thanks for the good luck word! ill need it i think, i think my other half see's it as a complete waste of money..   :laugh:

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 06:25:43 PM
may i ask why you never moved to dcc? watched a few videos on utube regarding it and it looks amazing the control one has compared to what it use to be..
The main reason I haven't gone DCC is I don't feel the need to run several trains at once. Before I moved to N gauge I used to model in EM gauge (similar to OO but with a more realistic track gauge) and everything was DC at that time. I'm an Electronics Engineer so I don't have any problems with the extra wiring that DC operation sometimes involves. Also - and this is probably an age thing - I find flicking switches to isolate locos on a DC system, rather than pushing buttons to control each loco, very satisfying.
There's no doubt though - DCC has a lot going for it. As I said in my previous post - read up about DCC before you make your decision. DC or DCC you're sure to have a lot of fun!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on January 12, 2015, 06:02:41 PM
Generally that's right - you should be able to use any NRMA standard controller with any NRMA standard DCC chipped loco.
By the way that should be the NMRA standard - too many glasses of Chardonnay!!

Bob Austin

cjbeattie

Stay off the pop during the day bob  :laugh3:

When did this digital revolution start by the way? looking on ebay and other sites there seems to be more locos without dcc than with..will a non dcc loco work with a dcc controller?

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 07:34:15 PM
Stay off the pop during the day bob  :laugh3:

When did this digital revolution start by the way? looking on ebay and other sites there seems to be more locos without dcc than with..will a non dcc loco work with a dcc controller?

Must be 15 years plus -but things have moved on very fast in the last few years and sizes an costs have come right down. - He says sipping next glass of Chardonnay.

Bob Austin

johnlambert

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 07:34:15 PM
will a non dcc loco work with a dcc controller?

As I understand it, no it won't and it is a very bad idea to try as it isn't good for the motor.

If you want a DCC starter set the Dapol ones are very good, the Gaugemaster controller I think has more features than the DCC controller that you get in the Bachmann sets and is more easily upgraded.

But you might be better going to a shop that has several DCC systems (maybe not in N gauge) that you can try to see if there's one you prefer.  There's no point choosing a system just because it comes with a train set if you find it difficult to use.

cjbeattie

thanks john..

because of space it has to be N gauge... AS for dcc was thinking about what bob said and why he dosnt bother changing to dcc.. To have more than one train running? and other wee quirks u get with dcc but it seems by getting dcc you actually cut off a big chunk of potential stock i.e engines etc.. or what you can get second hand anyways...

Newportnobby

There are not many locos that come 'DCC fitted' i.e. they already contain the chip. There are many locos that are 'DCC ready' and they are fitted with a blanking plug to enable running on DC. The idea is you run the loco in on DC, remove the blanking plug and then fit the chip of your choice rather than a factory fitted one. (note, however, this invalidates the warranty)
However, there are many old DC farts like me who have a large collection of DC locos from the stone age which would cost a small fortune to fit chips to or, even worse, pay someone else to do it.
However, with DC it is perfectly possible to have trains running on loops whilst shunting etc is carried out and that's enough to keep me happy :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations