Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, September 12, 2013, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Chris in Prague

EtchedPixels

I use it copiously along with the extremely handy

http://www.brmna.org/xrefs.shtml

Still looking for some good SER drawings though (I have SECR ones but not much for earlier - eg the 4/6 wheelers)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Chris in Prague

talisman56

Resurrecting this old thread to pass on some news...

There has been a lot of frothing over at t'other place about the forthcoming Dapol Maunsell coaches, if you must go see then here's the link: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88448-dapol-maunsell-coaches-in-n/

The discussions resulted in my placing a question on the Dapol Facebook page to the effect that if they're producing Restriction 4 coaches how can they market a set with coaches that were Restriction 1?

And I got an answer!  :claphappy:

Apparently 2P-012-251 'Set 450' has been cancelled as they are not producing R1 stock.
They will be producing, at some point, the 4-compartment BTK (so we can run sets with those and the CKs), and the all-important 6-compartment BCK.

This will give them the opportunity, should they choose to take it, of marketing a set with two 4-compt BTKs and a CK...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Chris in Prague

Sounds good. Thanks, Talisman. Now, are they the coaches that would be seen in the South-West, too? Specifically, North Cornwall and will they be available in BR SR Green?

talisman56

Quote from: Chris in Prague on July 29, 2014, 05:52:25 PM
Sounds good. Thanks, Talisman. Now, are they the coaches that would be seen in the South-West, too? Specifically, North Cornwall and will they be available in BR SR Green?

The sets with the 4-compt BTK and CK coaches are described on the SEMG sets spreadsheet as 'Waterloo-West of England' so they and the BCKs would be candidates for any SR line west of Exeter on through services. Some of the sets later appeared on the S&DJR.

The initial release will be in 1930s lined Olive Green, but the catalogue page has a note that they will also be produced [later] in 'SR Green' (presumably Malachite), 'BR Carmine & Cream' aka Crimson/Cream, and BR Green.

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0

Chris in Prague

Many thanks, again, for that quick and very positive response. BR SR Green in 2015? (My wallet would appreciate a rest.)

For my 1960s WTT, I need some Maunsell BCKs, BTKs, and CKs; but also TKs.

talisman56

The TKs that Dapol are producing were loose stock for strengthening sets in busy periods, eg summer holidays, so would be seen with the sets and BCKs.

Chris in Prague

Quote from: talisman56 on July 29, 2014, 06:33:34 PM
The TKs that Dapol are producing were loose stock for strengthening sets in busy periods, eg summer holidays, so would be seen with the sets and BCKs.

Exactly, that's why I need some.  :thankyousign:

I'll then be able to 'transfer' (sell) more of my BR SR Green MkIs that are 'stand ins'. After patiently waiting, I have been able to pick up one each of the BR SR Green Bulleid coaches (the SO was used in the 'Car Carrier') so some of my former BR SR Green MkIs have already been transferred to other NGF members' layouts! 8-)

Dorsetmike

The sets with the 4-compt BTK and CK coaches are described on the SEMG sets spreadsheet as 'Waterloo-West of England' so they and the BCKs would be candidates for any SR line west of Exeter on through services. Some of the sets later appeared on the S&DJR.

More correctly most steam hauled lines out of Waterloo which included Bournemouth, Weymouth and prior to electrification, some Portsmouth services. Bournemouth & Weymouth services could be found with a 3 set from the 390-399 series having an added "Ironclad" restaurant car and open third forming the Bournemouth West portion, a 2 set 6 compartment BCK & BTK, for Swanage and a 3 set plus loose coach for Weymouth.

As Talisman states  some of the 39x sets ended up on the S&DJR in the 50s, replacing ex LSWR sets

For those wanting more detail Gould's Maunsell Southern Steam (Oakwood press paperback) stock gives fairly comprehensive data on production dates, set allocations and duties, for additional info including detailed scale drawings the Mike King' s Illustrated history of Southern Coaches can't be beat.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

dodger

A bit short sighted of Dapol to produce a 6 compartment BTK as only for were built for Central section business sets, plus 2 BSK for the Newhaven Boat train. Rather limits the possible sets unless alot of "rule 1" formations are used. The WoE sets used 4 compartment BTK's.

High window stock would have been better.

Dodger

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 29, 2014, 08:47:27 PM

More correctly most steam hauled lines out of Waterloo which included Bournemouth, Weymouth and prior to electrification, some Portsmouth services. Bournemouth & Weymouth services could be found with a 3 set from the 390-399 series having an added "Ironclad" restaurant car and open third forming the Bournemouth West portion, a 2 set 6 compartment BCK & BTK, for Swanage and a 3 set plus loose coach for Weymouth.

As Talisman states  some of the 39x sets ended up on the S&DJR in the 50s, replacing ex LSWR sets

For those wanting more detail Gould's Maunsell Southern Steam (Oakwood press paperback) stock gives fairly comprehensive data on production dates, set allocations and duties, for additional info including detailed scale drawings the Mike King' s Illustrated history of Southern Coaches can't be beat.

Thanks, Mike. (I know that we've had this conversation some time ago, already.) I do have both Gould books but not King. I just wanted to check that the forthcoming Dapol Maunsells would be suitable for North Cornwall services as Maunsell and Bulleid carriages are a VERY complex subject! (Alas Graham Farish never produced the hoped-for Bulleid BCK.)

Chris in Prague

Quote from: dodger on July 29, 2014, 08:58:43 PM
A bit short sighted of Dapol to produce a 6 compartment BTK as only for were built for Central section business sets, plus 2 BSK for the Newhaven Boat train. Rather limits the possible sets unless a lot of "rule 1" formations are used. The WoE sets used 4 compartment BTK's.

High window stock would have been better.

Dodger

Thanks, Dodger; NOT good news for my North Cornwall services, then. Very short-sighted indeed of Dapol as I would have thought carriages suitable for West of England services would sell rather better than carriages for the Central and South-eastern sections?

EtchedPixels

The people who buy central and eastern section coaches will buy more than two 8)

The rest can be done with etched sides and a hacksaw.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations