Ccleaner cookie removal?

Started by petercharlesfagg, February 02, 2015, 10:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

Running Ccleaner clears most of the rubbish that accumulates but is there an easy method of deleting the cookies?

On the page where you can save cookies that you need and a list of those that are placed automatically, after sorting through it still leaves several hundred cookies that are useless.

I realise that they are doing no harm, I also realise that by holding the Ctrl button and selecting the items to remove and then the delete button works but it is an awful faff!

Any ideas?

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Bealman

Hey Peter.... wot you talk about, cookies? Americans eat them, as do we here in Australia,  but call them biscuits.

Cookies. Dunno what they are in computer parlance, and have never had need to. In the words of a relatively infamous Aussie politician,

"Please explain."
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on February 02, 2015, 10:29:15 AM
Friends,

Running Ccleaner clears most of the rubbish that accumulates but is there an easy method of deleting the cookies?

On the page where you can save cookies that you need and a list of those that are placed automatically, after sorting through it still leaves several hundred cookies that are useless.

I realise that they are doing no harm, I also realise that by holding the Ctrl button and selecting the items to remove and then the delete button works but it is an awful faff!

Any ideas?

Peter.
Peter
If you are using Explorer 11 then go to 'Tools' - 'Delete History' and uncheck everything except the ' Cookies and website data' box then click 'Delete' If you keep all the boxes checked then you will delete all of your browsing history.
If you are using Chrome then this URL will tell you how to delete cookies https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en-GB
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Bealman on February 02, 2015, 10:38:33 AM
Hey Peter.... wot you talk about, cookies? Americans eat them, as do we here in Australia,  but call them biscuits.

Cookies. Dunno what they are in computer parlance, and have never had need to. In the words of a relatively infamous Aussie politician,

"Please explain."
Cookies are, if you like, instructions to tell the computer what your preferences are on a particular website and whether you want to allow data to be transferred to the owner of the website. They are quite often used to see what sort of things you look at on the web site and then target specific adverts on your Browser. Haven't you often wondered how when you've been looking hoovers or washing machines or shoes or something - associated adverts magically appear in your Browser??
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Malc

I use Norton as my virus/firewall and it periodically tells me it has removed tracking cookies. Ie the ones that tell the owners what you have been looking at.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

Thanks, Bob! Yes, I have often wondered about that. Now all is clear. Thank you!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

talisman56

CCleaner as it comes 'out of the box' will remove Cookies from your system.

If your copy is not then check that 'Cookies' is ticked on the IE section in the 'Windows' tab in 'Cleaner', and also in the relevant places in the Browser sections in the 'Applications' tab.

There is also a 'Cookies' section in 'Advanced' where there is a default set of Cookies that CCleaner won't delete. You'll need to check whether that section meets your requirements.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

austinbob

I sometimes wonder if its worth deleting cookies. Often, if you revisit the web site, you have to allow cookies to be reinstalled otherwise you get limited or no access to the site.

Bob Austin

petercharlesfagg

My thanks to all who responded, I will just have to grin and bear it and hope that I don't pick up any dodgy cookies!

Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

austinbob

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on February 02, 2015, 06:24:19 PM
My thanks to all who responded, I will just have to grin and bear it and hope that I don't pick up any dodgy cookies!

Peter.

I can't say I've ever had a problem with cookies other than the thought of them taking up some of your valuable memory bytes. That might have been a problem 15 years ago but not now.
Not so much related to cookies but do you use Malwarebytes Peter? I've found that it's pretty good at finding dodgy web sites and preventing access (or warning about access). You can get a free version which you run periodically to check for PUPs (here we go again) which are potentially unwanted programs which install themselves on you computer and do things (not always dodgy things) to your computer without you knowing. They also detect malware which is evil stuff intended to harm your computer or data in some way.
You can, for a few pounds, buy a version of Malwarebytes which runs all the time in the background and blocks installation of PUPs or malware from dodgy websites and emails.

Bob Austin

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: austinbob on February 02, 2015, 06:40:45 PM
Quote from: petercharlesfagg on February 02, 2015, 06:24:19 PM

Peter.

I can't say I've ever had a problem with cookies other than the thought of them taking up some of your valuable memory bytes. That might have been a problem 15 years ago but not now.
Not so much related to cookies but do you use Malwarebytes Peter? I've found that it's pretty good at finding dodgy web sites and preventing access (or warning about access). You can get a free version which you run periodically to check for PUPs (here we go again) which are potentially unwanted programs which install themselves on you computer and do things (not always dodgy things) to your computer without you knowing. They also detect malware which is evil stuff intended to harm your computer or data in some way.
You can, for a few pounds, buy a version of Malwarebytes which runs all the time in the background and blocks installation of PUPs or malware from dodgy websites and emails.

Thankyou Bob, I actually purchased the Premium version last year of Malwarebytes and, as you say, it finds 99% of evil things on my PC!

Regards, Peter.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations