I still hate computers.

Started by N Gauge Bob, January 20, 2015, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: Dorsetmike on January 20, 2015, 02:24:45 PM
I would agree that Vista is not much good, I bought a new PC a few months ago and also upgraded a 7 year old Gateway with dual core Pentium which was running XP it now runs Windows 7 home premium 64 bit from this site, not just the licence scroll down a bit to the full thing £44.95,

http://itrevive.co.uk/windows-7-home-premium-license-key-download-link-for-windows-7.html?gclid=CI6DwbSTmcICFanMtAodjRgAeA

It only has on board Intel graphics, not a graphics card, never has a problem with the toob vids.

Ebuyer have some good deals on new PCs, this is same make and similar spec to my new one

http://www.ebuyer.com/662327-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-1019

If you have problems running older software, there is a free XP emulator that will run in Win 7

Thanks MIKE. Got all that. New computer will have all the latest kit but as this one will be nothing more than a stock book at the end of the day, I am happy to buy a secondhand graphics card to run it.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

Chinahand

Hi Bob,

Personally I'm still using XP as I refuse to buy a whole lot of new software because all my old software, including MS Office Pro, is not compatible with Windows 7. XP is a tried and tested OS which is stable. OK so Microsoft don't support it any more but provided you have good anti-virus software (I use AVG Internet Security) and you don't use Internet Explorer (I use Google Chrome) I see no point is replacing something that ain't broke.

As far as the graphics card is concerned I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT250 card which, despite being 7 years old and no longer available can still deal with everything that YouTube throws at it. You can pick up a brand new GeForce GT730 card for between £40 and £60 and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Just out of interest, how much memory do you have installed as this can sometimes be a limiting factor for graphics cards. You should really have not less than 4GB to give you reasonable graphics speeds.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Jools

As a former computer technician (I've now moved onto phone systems) I'd agree that Vista did get a bad press, mostly because so much was changed without explanation. - The driver and software incompatibility due to the increased security that affected a tiny percentage of hardware and users in the grand scheme of things were were a nightmare for those that suffered but one things for sure if Microsoft hadn't increased the security there would have been massive hacks that would have made the north korea <> sony spat look like a bit of a tiff!

The first thing to do is check is that the graphics drivers have definitely updated - though you've downloaded the new ones they may not have installed correctly, and the symptoms you are describing sound very much like what you would experience if windows was trying to use its default VGA driver which cannot use anything but the most basic features of your specific graphics card.

To check - right click on your desktop and goto "Personalise" then Select Display Settings in the personalisation dialog.
in the window that pops up, you should see a representation of your monitor, and below it a box with
"monitor name/model" on "graphics chip name/model"
the monitor name may be "generic PNP monitor" as vista hardly ever recognised specific monitors, but your graphics card should be listed by name rather than "default vga adapter"

if its correct, then we've ruled out the most likely cause and can look to other things, and if its not, then you'll need to re install the new drivers again.

Unfortunately I've binned all of my old AGP graphics cards or i'd have gladly popped one in the post for you to see if a different model was any better!

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: Chinahand on January 20, 2015, 02:50:32 PM
Hi Bob,

Personally I'm still using XP as I refuse to buy a whole lot of new software because all my old software, including MS Office Pro, is not compatible with Windows 7. XP is a tried and tested OS which is stable. OK so Microsoft don't support it any more but provided you have good anti-virus software (I use AVG Internet Security) and you don't use Internet Explorer (I use Google Chrome) I see no point is replacing something that ain't broke.

As far as the graphics card is concerned I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT250 card which, despite being 7 years old and no longer available can still deal with everything that YouTube throws at it. You can pick up a brand new GeForce GT730 card for between £40 and £60 and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Just out of interest, how much memory do you have installed as this can sometimes be a limiting factor for graphics cards. You should really have not less than 4GB to give you reasonable graphics speeds.

Hi Trevor

Running 2 meg on memory which is all the computer will take  :worried:
It was fine on XP.
I have always used full package AVG and I wouldn't go near Internet Explorer for any money!! Like you I'm a Google Chrome man.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: Jools on January 20, 2015, 03:00:44 PM
As a former computer technician (I've now moved onto phone systems) I'd agree that Vista did get a bad press, mostly because so much was changed without explanation. - The driver and software incompatibility due to the increased security that affected a tiny percentage of hardware and users in the grand scheme of things were were a nightmare for those that suffered but one things for sure if Microsoft hadn't increased the security there would have been massive hacks that would have made the north korea <> sony spat look like a bit of a tiff!

The first thing to do is check is that the graphics drivers have definitely updated - though you've downloaded the new ones they may not have installed correctly, and the symptoms you are describing sound very much like what you would experience if windows was trying to use its default VGA driver which cannot use anything but the most basic features of your specific graphics card.

To check - right click on your desktop and goto "Personalise" then Select Display Settings in the personalisation dialog.
in the window that pops up, you should see a representation of your monitor, and below it a box with
"monitor name/model" on "graphics chip name/model"
the monitor name may be "generic PNP monitor" as vista hardly ever recognised specific monitors, but your graphics card should be listed by name rather than "default vga adapter"

if its correct, then we've ruled out the most likely cause and can look to other things, and if its not, then you'll need to re install the new drivers again.

Unfortunately I've binned all of my old AGP graphics cards or i'd have gladly popped one in the post for you to see if a different model was any better!

Well there you go Jools. I never knew that ever existed!!!
I went into display settings and it gave me the choice of two monitors despite the fact I only have one!!!

HPw19 wide LCD Monitor on Radeon 9000 family
(default monitor) on Radeon 9000SEC family XDD

Then asked which is main monitor?
Extend desktop onto monitor?

Why would I have this twice? I am confused...one saying 9000 and one saying 9000SEC
I certainly only have 1 monitor.

??? :confused2: :'(
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

keithfre

Quote from: Chinahand on January 20, 2015, 02:50:32 PM
Same here! I use BitDefender for antivirus and firewall and haven't experienced any threats. I've never used Outlook, which is eminently hackable, using as it does the Windows Address Book.

N Gauge Bob

Well there you go Jools. I never knew that ever existed!!!
I went into display settings and it gave me the choice of two monitors despite the fact I only have one!!!

Why would I have this twice? I am confused...one saying 9000 and one saying 9000SEC
I certainly only have 1 monitor.

??? :confused2: :'(
Cheers
Bob
[/quote]

Forgot to mention.
Re You Tube
I can only run on the setting 240. If I try 360, 480 or anything higher up to HD it simply doesn't run!!

Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MikeDunn on January 20, 2015, 02:13:32 PM
To my mind, Vista gets an undeserved level of criticism,
I agree with Mike ! (this time, lol!)
I've been using Vista on this laptop (cos it was already installed when I bought it s/h) for several years and it has not given me any hassle.
I can watch YT online using a 3G wireless dongle (but it gets a little buffery during torrential downpours !) so a 50M link+Vista should be more than enough !

Sorry no more ideas Bob.
Good luck.

Railwaygun

Quote from: N Gauge Bob on January 20, 2015, 04:55:12 PM
t gave me the choice of two monitors despite the fact I only have one!!!

Bob

do not "tick" extend monitor

either monitor setting should be OK

what video card does it see? - there should be a named card ( hopefully yours!)

latest drivers for Radeon 9000 are here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/archive/radeon-prer300-xp
nr
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

longbridge

Not trying to be clever but thank goodness for Linux Operating Systems, I don't have to worry about any virus or any other types of nasties, I have been using Linux Mint for over 7 years never used antivirus or anti spyware just the supplied firewall and never had a hint of trouble.  :thumbsup: whats even better is its free, before I went back to windows I would use a Carrier Pidgin to deliver my mail.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

austinbob

Quote from: longbridge on January 20, 2015, 06:18:30 PM
Not trying to be clever but thank goodness for Linux Operating Systems, I don't have to worry about any virus or any other types of nasties, I have been using Linux Mint for over 7 years never used antivirus or anti spyware just the supplied firewall and never had a hint of trouble.  :thumbsup: whats even better is its free, before I went back to windows I would use a Carrier Pidgin to deliver my mail.
I don't think Linux is going to solve N gauge Bob's problem. In fact installing that might just introduce more problems. If his computer was mine, I would back up all my files (photos, documents, movies, spreadsheets etc.) and reinstall XP using the installation disk or installation partition on the hard disk and start again.
I don't think the issue of Microsoft support for XP is going to cause any problems with a decent antivirus program installed and perhaps a malware program such as Malwarebytes.
Now, if N gauge Bob doesn't have an installation disk or partition then I don't know what to suggest. I think I would just bite the bullet and get a new PC. - Just my opinions...
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: austinbob on January 20, 2015, 06:28:28 PM
Quote from: longbridge on January 20, 2015, 06:18:30 PM
I don't think Linux is going to solve N gauge Bob's problem. In fact installing that might just introduce more problems. If his computer was mine, I would back up all my files (photos, documents, movies, spreadsheets etc.) and reinstall XP using the installation disk or installation partition on the hard disk and start again.
I don't think the issue of Microsoft support for XP is going to cause any problems with a decent antivirus program installed and perhaps a malware program such as Malwarebytes.
Now, if N gauge Bob doesn't have an installation disk or partition then I don't know what to suggest. I think I would just bite the bullet and get a new PC. - Just my opinions...
:beers:

No back up discs sadly, but my thoughts are going back to XP would be a good idea.
I'll try and see if I can find a copy somewhere.
Never tried Linux. Always used Microsoft so think I'll stay there.
Cheers
N Gauge Bob
Remember this:

austinbob

Quote from: N Gauge Bob on January 20, 2015, 06:44:57 PM
No back up discs sadly, but my thoughts are going back to XP would be a good idea.
I'll try and see if I can find a copy somewhere.
Never tried Linux. Always used Microsoft so think I'll stay there.
Cheers
N Gauge Bob
Microsoft XP was/is a very respected operating system. Many Companies still use it. Vista was a bit iffy when it was first released (bit like some Dapol and Farish locos) particularly with lack of driver support. Much better in its final version. I suspect some of your current problems may be driver problems after you installed Vista. The Radeon 9000 series video cards and even a much slower broadband connection should be fine for utube videos.
Linux, for some people, rings their bells but most of the support and applications out there are for Microsoft. In my opinion Linux is an enthusiasts toy and not generally suitable for people like you and I who just want to buy a computer and use it without faffing about.
Enough of this rambling - best to find a way to reinstall XP IMHO.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Papyrus

I've been having similar problems to Bob. I have Vista on my laptop, which generally I am quite happy with, but videos are very jerky and the sound is crackly. I've been considering upgrading to Windows 7 to see if that will solve the problem. Is this likely to help or would I be wasting my time?

(No, a new laptop is not the answer! Domestic management has recently bought a new one and we can't afford another!!)

Cheers,

Chris

Bealman

I got my laptop back in 2007 and to be honest, never gave any thought to the operating system.  Turns out it was Vista,  and, touch wood, it has not given me any problems to date. l have not noticed any of the UTube problems mentioned in this thread. Just lucky, maybe  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations