!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: change function from latching to trigger  (Read 290 times)

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
change function from latching to trigger
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:08:29 pm »
hi

using nce powercab can I change a sound function from latching to trigger?  the sound decoder is esu.

I tried google but I can't find a straight forward answer for this question.

cheers

Tim

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: change function from latching to trigger
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:20:33 pm »
a quick google search for "nce power cab non latching function" found the answer immediately for me. This from NCE's web site:

Page 27 of the Ph-Pro system Manual /   Page 24 of the Power Cab Manual

The behavior of the keys on the Power Cab and Pro Cab cannot be modified. By design the horn key is momentary, all other keys are on/off latching.

https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201995049-Pro-Cab-Power-Cab-Function-Keys

Also found RMWeb posts on the same subject, giving the same answer.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80262-nce-powercab-changing-latching-keys/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:28:28 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:30:52 pm »
I asked the same sort of question in this very forum:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40218.0
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:39:39 pm »
many thanks ntp and tony

I'll just have to leave it then but if I buy a new dcc system in the future I'll select one that allows this change

tbh I wasn't sure if this was something you could change on the decoder with cvs or if it relied on the actual controller.

cheers

Tim

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 10:04:29 pm »
I have NCE gear myself (PowerHouse Pro 10amp for LGB and a Power Cab for 009), I've never found the latching functions to be a problem - I just press twice.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:32:34 pm »
I have NCE gear myself (PowerHouse Pro 10amp for LGB and a Power Cab for 009), I've never found the latching functions to be a problem - I just press twice.
You're not the first person to advise that  :)

Some functions really do need a very quick tap, and I found I couldn't do the two presses fast enough. Manual dexterity is not one of my strong points.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:06:48 pm »

An option for the moderately geeky Powercab user (and other US designed systems) is to involve two throttles: one PowerCab (for speed and a few functions) and one Smartphone/Tablet (for all the other functions).  Arranged thus:

Computer running JMRI, and in JMRI, run the WiThrottle server.  On tablet download App (WiThrottle if its an Apple device, EngineDriver if its Android).  Connect Tablet App to JMRI, and prove it can run a loco. Now disconnect this throttle.
In Decoder Programming, setup the consist behaviour of functions on the individual decoder.  So, the horn/whistle (F2) and sound on/off (F1) are on the consist address, and all other functions on the loco address.   
In JMRI, for the loco in the roster, label the function keys with their correct sounds (eg. Guard's whistle), and select whether latching or non-latching. 

Now for driving...   Manually change CV19 in the loco to a consist address, which is anything between 1 and 127, but I recommend you stick to 1 to 99.   

On NCE throttle, call up the Consist Address of loco and drive it.  Sound on/off and horn work from the NCE throttle.  At same time, on Tablet, call up the Loco Address.  All other sounds now work from tablet throttle, labelled on screen.
At end of driving, reset the Consist Address (CV19) to zero.

It works for PowerCab,  I've setup someone I know with this arrangement to overcome complexity of remembering all the function labels on sound locos. 

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 11:27:30 am »
Nice one Nigel that’s very handy for us Powecab users, worth thinking about if I ever get sound.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here