!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 33907 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #735 on: April 16, 2018, 12:54:37 pm »
Iíve been experimenting with point rodding ideas.  Looking at the method used by @N-Gauge-US (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36742.msg433466#msg433466) I tried something similar but using .5mm square styrene instead of wire for the rodding. I cut the cranks using the Silhouette Portrait machine. They look a bit coarse but I might be able to slim them down a bit. I donít feel inclined to join the 2mmFS Society just to buy a fret of cranks! And the method of making rodding described in a recent MRJ looks far too fiddly for me.

A couple of photos show the result before painting. The cranks to the left of the shots are where the rodding enters the signal box. Imagine the points being operated to be somewhere behind the test track.

Hereís how it looks after adding some scatter and painting the rodding.

Itís going to be quite tricky adding the rodding to the layout. Iíve tried digging out the ballast and scatter to see how practical it would be to install the stools and itís not at all easy! I dug right down to the baseboard finding some plaster under the scatter. But going that deep would be the only way to get the stools level. And Iíd need to fit over fifty of them for the run from the signal box to the most southerly points so itís not going to be a quick job! I think I can patch the damage that would be caused. Fortunately I havenít weathered the ballast yet, so any new stuff should match ok, and the scatter is a standard mix.

So Iím uncertain whether to give this a go. Any thoughts welcomeÖwill adding this rather crude rodding be an improvement or am I risking spoiling the layout?

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #736 on: April 16, 2018, 01:08:08 pm »
What a dilemma. To my untrained eye your point rodding and cranks looks pretty damned good but, in all the great pics you've posted, I have never thought to myself "That would look better with point rodding". If it were not so much hassle I'd say go ahead but ask yourself if it really adds something.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #737 on: April 16, 2018, 01:12:40 pm »
Iíve been experimenting with point rodding ideas. .......

They look a bit coarse but I might be able to slim them down a bit. I donít feel inclined to join the 2mmFS Society just to buy a fret of cranks!........

So Iím uncertain whether to give this a go. Any thoughts welcomeÖwill adding this rather crude rodding be an improvement or am I risking spoiling the layout?

As someone who hadn't even given consideration to such things in N gauge, I think they look great. Your camera shows a level of detail which I would not discern from 3 feet away.......so I would keep them. Having said that, you have set the bar so high Roger that I feel bad just commenting, let alone giving an opinion  :beers:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:14:04 pm by DaveGlew »
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #738 on: April 16, 2018, 01:25:52 pm »

This looks stunningly effective to me. I've been mulling adding rodding for 3/4 points controlled from my signal box for some time, and you might just have talked me into it.

So far as getting the stools straight and level, I'd be tempted to put in a line of suitably spaced track-pins (etc), then level those, epoxy the stools onto them and build up ballast/foliage to a convincing level.

Mike

Offline sp1

• Awards
« Reply #739 on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:35 pm »
Point rodding is one of those things that looks great and adds to what is already there,.....but...how many notice itís absence? What you have done looks much better once painted, which helps to disguise the size, but to me it jars because 0.5mm in this scale is equivalent to 6 inches! Is there some way of doing this with wire?

Edit to add: what about guitar strings- .08 available from most music shops very cheaply, and reasonably strong....just a thought....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:02:20 pm by sp1 »

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #740 on: April 16, 2018, 03:15:47 pm »
NO,don't do this to me,Hawes Junction is over 24ft long,I may have to steal this idea  :hmmm: It looks too good!

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: April 16, 2018, 03:50:16 pm »
I think your point rodding looks excellent, Roger.

If you are unsure about it, why not install the rodding coming out of the signalbox, where it is most obvious, first and then decide whether to proceed.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #742 on: April 16, 2018, 06:02:26 pm »
because 0.5mm in this scale is equivalent to 6 inches! Is there some way of doing this with wire?

At 2mm=1 foot I make 0.5mm 3 inches.   ;)

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #743 on: April 16, 2018, 06:21:39 pm »
because 0.5mm in this scale is equivalent to 6 inches! Is there some way of doing this with wire?

At 2mm=1 foot I make 0.5mm 3 inches.   ;)

Me too........ but started to doubt my sums. Sorry but in my (imprecise) book, if it looks right it probably is.
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #744 on: April 16, 2018, 08:03:18 pm »
As a retired chalkie, I can affirm the above post.

What's a pencil, by the way?  :D
A pencil is something we used to use in the Olden Days instead of a keyboard.
But what's a chalkie? :confusedsign:

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #745 on: April 16, 2018, 08:27:30 pm »
I like the point rodding. But instead of starting from the signal box why not start the rodding from  the sidings. If you don't like it, rust it and assume it's been disconnected and put a hand lever next to the point.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #746 on: April 16, 2018, 08:38:31 pm »

What's a pencil, by the way?

You put one up each nostril, put your undies on your head and say "Wibble"

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #747 on: April 17, 2018, 02:59:38 pm »

What's a pencil, by the way?

You put one up each nostril, put your undies on your head and say "Wibble"

:laughabovepost:  A cunning plan per chance?

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #748 on: April 17, 2018, 09:49:10 pm »
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I might just give this project a go. It should keep me busy for a while...

I like the point rodding. But instead of starting from the signal box why not start the rodding from  the sidings. If you don't like it, rust it and assume it's been disconnected and put a hand lever next to the point.

I was planning to put a ground frame with a couple of levers for the three-way point in the goods yard - that avoids having a run of five rods. But I will start at the south end of the layout, furthest from the signal box. If it all goes wrong it should be fairly easy to lift the stools and re-ballast.

Is there some way of doing this with wire? Edit to add: what about guitar strings- .08 available from most music shops very cheaply, and reasonably strong....just a thought....

The test piece by N-Gauge-US did use wire and I gave it a try. I also tried fishing line. But I really want square section rodding (don't think I'll bother with inverted U-channel!) and I also feel that it will be easier to glue the parts together if it's all the same material. Agree that it is over-scale, though. I can't find a dimensioned drawing of the real thing, but I guess the rods are a couple of inches or less.

So far as getting the stools straight and level, I'd be tempted to put in a line of suitably spaced track-pins (etc), then level those, epoxy the stools onto them and build up ballast/foliage to a convincing level.

I've had a think about that idea. I think the pins would have to go below ballast level so there would still have to be some scraping away. The ballast between the pin heads would prevent putting a straight edge along them to get them level, though it would be easy enough to make a little jig that would sit across the rails and thus align the pins to the track - I hope that's level!

NO,don't do this to me,Hawes Junction is over 24ft long,I may have to steal this idea  :hmmm: It looks too good!

I'd work out how many sleepers there are in that length, divide by four and wonder how you'd make that many stools!!

I'll report progress, if any, in due course...

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #749 on: April 18, 2018, 02:38:29 am »
I'd work out how many sleepers there are in that length, divide by four and wonder how you'd make that many stools!!
Guinness is your friend here! :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here