!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 122609 times)

mjspeed, Matt1974 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2205 on: April 15, 2018, 08:02:52 pm »
It was a lovely morning this morning.  I managed a quick session in the Train Shed before we went for our Sunday morning walk along the river. First, I connected up all the droppers.

Then, I cut off the sharp protruding ends of the track pins with a small cutting disk/

After that we went for our walk.  It was sunny and there was little wind, which came from behind us, so we soon became quite warm.  We walked along the beach a short way, but it is quite hard walking because it is a mixture of different sized shingles.  When we reach the track we walked alongside the railway.  When we turned round to return, there was a little breeze in our faces, which was somewhat more comfortable.

After coffee, I went out in the car to buy another twenty bags of top soil, for the conservatory border.  Each one weighs about 25kg, so I had about half a ton on board.  When I got it home I used my sack truck to barrow it all round to the back garden.  Quite a chunk of the morning and middle of the day was occupied with trying to get my Emails working properly again.  By the end of the afternoon, I think I have it all working apart from the emails from the forum, which seem to have disappeared.  During the afternoon, I had to remove a lily from a very large pot.  Unfortunately, the pot broke when I lifted it for the second time.  The rim simply came away from the rest of the pot.  But it was more than twenty years old, so I canít really complain.

The next session in the Train shed, before a cup of tea, saw me test the track under power.  Guess what?  There was a short circuit.  So I had to put on my fault-finding hat and start disconnecting droppers, while checking the resistance between the two DCC bus conductors.  It wasnít too long before the short disappeared and I found that the problem was an incorrect frog polarity.  I connected everything up again and began to test all the points with power to the rails.  When I switched Point 14 (the one that had the frog reversal) a short circuit appeared.  It turned out that one of the point blades had become detached from the tie bar.  This seems to be a problem with Peco points.  They are (usually) fine with the spring in place, but when the spring is removed, the tie bar becomes floppy and the lug on the point blades can slip out of its housing.  It took quite a while, operating with two pairs of tweezers, to get it back in place again.  Then I had the same problem with the UHU but, fortunately, I have some spare dispenser bottles, so I used a spare spout and that did the trick. 

However, when I checked Point 15, a short appeared when I switched it.  This was another reversed frog dropper.  It seems unbelievable that I checked them all on resistance when I installed them, but errors still crept in.  But in the end, I was able to test all the points on both boards successfully.  Thatís what testing is all about, in the final analysis.

After a cup of tea, I screwed down both UP loop boards.

Then I set about connecting the tracks back across the board join.  By close of play I had connected three of the twelve tracks crossing the board join.

Iíll see how much further forward I can get tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2206 on: April 15, 2018, 08:23:57 pm »
Guess what?  There was a short circuit.  So I had to put on my fault-finding hat

There is a bloke on here Laurence who has started a fault finding tutorial ..................... oh .............  ;)
(Keep up the good work Laurence, I and a lot of other people I should think, appreciate your tutorial.  :thumbsup:).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline DaveGlew

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2207 on: April 15, 2018, 09:25:31 pm »
Then I set about connecting the tracks back across the board join.  By close of play I had connected three of the twelve tracks crossing the board join

Have you considered permanent breaks at the baseboard joins Laurence. A pain to create in the first instance, but very handy if you ever need to split once the scenery is done.
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2208 on: April 16, 2018, 06:49:11 am »
Yes, I have thought about it for the main boards, but the loop boards are hidden and the tracks all at funny angles.  If I ever start again from scratch, I will certainly do that.  I did try cutting the tracks at the board joins when I first built the layout, but found it caused too many problems.  I have learned a lot on the forum now about how to do it, so it is something I might consider in the future.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2209 on: April 16, 2018, 07:36:14 pm »
I had a really good day today.  The first really good bit of news is that my Email is now back to normal again.  Itís a bit of a long saga, but it all began because my innovationgame.com domain name has been registered with Network Solutions since 2000, but my web hosting has always been in the UK and, for some years has been hosted by 123-Reg.  Until recently, I had always been able to access the account settings for all my Email sub-addresses via the 123-Reg control panel.  But a few months ago, some of them became invisible to me.  I raised a ticket and was told that, presumable because they had changed their systems, they would only be accessible if I moved my domain registration to 123-Reg.  I have two other domains registered with them, so I decided to move it.  That was when the rot set in.

I think that, had I been moving the domain and the web hosting to them, things would have probably gone smoothly.  But what happened was that, for some reason, they managed to change all the WHOIS data to some old data that they held for the web hosting.  This included a now defunct Email address for the registrant (me).  When the transferred the domain name, they sent me an Email stating that I had to verify the domain registration within fifteen days.  Unfortunately, this went to the defunct Email address and so I never received it.  The result was that, at midnight on Friday, the domain was listed as de-registered.  The website still worked and I could still send Email, but Email sent to me was bounced because the domain was not recognised.

So I raised another ticket and, after some shenanigans, I managed to verify the domain.  After that, some Emails came through, but not all.  The most noticeable absence was the Email notifications from the forum which simply dried up.  I remonstrated with the service agent but was assured that the Email address had been tested and was working.  Yesterday, I began tests from outside and investigating from within the forum.  Eventually, this morning, I received a message from the service team that the nameservers had not been changed and some other settings were wrong.  Once this was put right, bingo!  The Emails started to appear again.

Well now I have got that off my chest I will tell you about what happened today.  First thing, I managed to connect up two more tracks before we went off to play table tennis.  In the afternoon, I did some gardening, mainly spreading topsoil onto the conservatory border.  Then I had some more time in the Train Shed.

By cup of tea time, I had reconnected the remaining five loops and tested the points in a Ďpower-oní situation.  If I have to lift the boards again, it will be quite simple to slide back the sliding rail joiners and lift the track, then simply replace it again afterwards.  The problem this time was that I had moved the points, so all the track had to be recut to length. 

After my cup of tea, I reconnected the branch run-around loops.  Hereís the large board with all the loops reconnected.

Then I reconnected the branch access from the UP-leg board.  This involved a certain amount of ballast removal, together with copious amounts of vacuuming. 

So, tomorrow, I have to reconnect the UP- and DOWN-main tracks from the UP-leg board, which will be somewhat more complex because I will reroute the tracks back to their original positions before my last reconfiguration of the UP loops.  I also intend to try testing, on the UP-loops, the soldering of track circuit connectors across rail joins.  I hope they will look just like conventional track circuit connectors, although their real purpose will be to connect the DCC supply from one length of track to the other, circumventing the rail joiners.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2210 on: April 16, 2018, 08:33:44 pm »
You lost me after "I had a really good day today" :dunce: :-[
Glad you're sorted though, Laurence.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2211 on: April 17, 2018, 05:38:37 pm »

Item 451

Today was another good day, although we missed the gym because Celia was feeling a bit under the weather after a disturbed night.  But sheís OK now, just a little tired.  So we delayed going out a little and went straight to J Sainsbury instead.  But before that, I connected the DOWN main to the UP loops.  After we returned, I still had one or two things to sort out with the computer, but itís all good now.  In the early afternoon I fixed into place the first two trellises that I made at the weekend. I have three more to put in place in the front garden and then another to go in the rose garden, together with the last two that I have still to make.  I have included a picture of the ones that I have fixed, so that you can get an idea of what I do in my spare time.

Later another foray to the Train Shed began with making a track connector and fixing it in place on the UP-loop board, where it will be out of sight.  It is only an experiment, the main problem being that the wire gauge is too course.  I used 22 swg (0.7mm diameter) which is equivalent to about 4 inches.  Next time I will try a single strand of 7/0.2, which is a scale inch and a quarter. 

The I set about connecting the UP main to the UP-loops.  With the DOWN main, I was able to remove a very short length from the track because the straight on path was shorter than the previous, curved one.  However, the entrance point for the throat of the loops had been moved to allow me to run the track straight on, rather than curve it towards the backscene.  This meant that, even with the straight line, the original track was a fraction too short, so a new complete yard was required to be trimmed to length.  That done I have now completed all the track work associated with the UP loops. 

The ballasting took a bit of a battering and will have to be rejuvenated again at some time in the future, although itís not urgent.

Hereís the final result with the tunnel back in place.

Tomorrow, I will start to move the trains back into the loops.  This will be the ultimate test for the new track.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2212 on: April 18, 2018, 09:08:21 pm »
Today was a very good day, but with a few hiccups.  I managed an early session in the Train Shed.  But before I went, I took this picture of our new tadpoles swimming about vigorously in the pond.

Then it was time for the big test.  Here is a video of the what happened in the first session.

The Oops moment was when 80119 hit a short connection between Points 1 and 2 where the rail joiners had misaligned, which is what testing is all about, after all.  I managed to extract the section be lifting Point 2 and then I had to remove the plastic substrate from the rails and refit them with a little support.

In the afternoon session, I managed to move all the remaining trains back into the UP loops, but the adjacent connection between Points 1 and 5 was also misaligned.  So I had to repeat the exercise there.  Fortunately, by then, my Fleischmann IRJs had arrived.  They are quite difficult to slide onto the rails because they are so rigid and have to be worked on and off a couple of times before they can be fitted.  But the one I fitted is much superior to the original Peco IRJ.  By close of play, all the trains were back where they blonged.

Tomorrow, I will need to check all the points are correctly set and then I can start another timetable cycle.  I expect there will be a few hiccups in getting trains running after a fairly long layoff, as indeed there were today.  But things are on the up again, although I still have a track alignment to make on the down loops before I think about changing the point motors in the station.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:25:07 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #2213 on: April 18, 2018, 09:14:23 pm »
Good to hear about your Fleischmann IRJs. Mine arrived today and will experiment with them at the weekend.
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2214 on: April 18, 2018, 10:08:06 pm »
A very interesting film and enjoyable music.  Thank you.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2215 on: April 19, 2018, 09:14:09 pm »
It was a pretty steamy day today, in more ways than one.  To start with, I had to forego my early session in the Train Shed because the window man arrived at 08:00 to replace some of our windows.  So I spent the first half of the morning continuing with the U3A admin work, which is now almost complete (for this month at least).  I made the workmen a cup of coffee at normal coffee time and then spent the rest of the morning in the Train Shed, hoping for some good running.

Well, the running was not very good.  Both the paniers played up, but they did improve as the morning progressed.  Cranmore Hall would not start from the DOWN loops without encouragement, 80119 needed to have its acceleration removed and even 46443 played up when asked to start up.  Ditcheat Manor was a real handful but 45206 at least delivered the milk train safely without fuss.  In the second mini cycle, Forthampton Grange was really graunchy, but 46443 was a little better.  But 64960, with the local goods, needed some encouragement to start and Dicheat Manor was no better.  On the third mini cycle, Liverpool ran pretty well and 80119 had improved to the extent that I was able to restore its acceleration.

But thatís when things started to go badly wrong.  First, I tried a cold start on Dicheat Manor within its loop.  By the time I had got it going it had run out of loop, so I reversed it back to its original start position.  But when I came to stop it, it would not stop.  I pressed the emergency stop button, but nothing happened, it just kept going in reverse.  I tried two or three times, by which time the parcels vans had derailed and, finally, Dicheat Manor fell of the rails.  I picked everything up and re-railed them on the UP main on the UP-leg board.  But Dicheat Manor would not respond to any command.

I decided that it must have forgotten its loco ID and so I brought out the programming track and placed the loco on it.  When I eventually managed to read its address it was 96, which is strange because it should be 15.  However, this is not the first time a loco has reprogrammed its address.  Now I donít know whether this is because the Gaugemaster sent a spurious command or the loco decoder threw a wobbly.  But I managed to program the correct address into the decoder and all was well again.  I set the points to run it back into its Ďhomeí loop and remembered (just) to reset the points back again.

After that, it was the turn of 3846 to run the heavy freight on a DOWN run.  But, before it had exited its loop, it stopped.  I noticed that a traction tyre was dangling from its third driver.  So I lifted it from the track to replace the traction tyre, but the tender swung away a little.  I managed to relocate the traction tyre with two pairs of tweezers and replaced, but there was no forward motion because the cardan shaft had uncoupled.  That was soon rectified, but the forward motion was stuttering, to say the least.  Further inspection revealed that both loco to tender connecting wires had broken.  Fortunately, I had two spare heavy-duty wires, but replacing them was an incredibly fiddly job.  But, in the end, I managed the replacements without losing a screw (always a nightmare scenario).

Then 80119 refused to pass Point 1.  After some investigation, I realised that the middle driver on the right-hand side was hitting an obstruction.  Careful inspection revealed that the tip of the point blade was slightly proud of the stock rail.  Nothing else was affected and 80119 hadnít had an issue on its previous run.  A careful manipulation with a small pair of pliers was sufficient to cure the problem.  I was later able to test the cure with a few tail chases.  If it recurs, I shall have to change the point.

After that, things picked up a little, although Eire required some encouragement to start from the UP loops.  The fish train, hauled by 92006, ran perfectly.  Here it is in a busy scene at Marton Hinmarche.  From left to right you can see

1)   In the distance, 64960 at the head of the local goods
2)   At Platform 2, waiting to depart for Worcester, 46443 with a local passenger
3)   The fish train headed by 92006, thundering through Platform 3
4)   The Branch passenger in the charge of 9744 with a Shipton-bound branch passenger
5)   45206 with the milk train, waiting for the tanks to be filled

We ate outside this evening (is eating Al Fresco cannibalism?) followed by starting to cut the grass, but the fading light caused me to abandon ship.  I hope tomorrow will be a less harrowing day (as in Harrow and Wealdstone, although none of the platforms were demolished today).
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #2216 on: April 19, 2018, 09:23:58 pm »
You'll not thank me for saying this, Laurence, but any time I start considering DCC I just read the latest couple of pages of your posts and it puts me right. I'm sure there must be a simple(ish) answer to all the running issues you have with losses/changes of addresses as no one else has reported so many problems. :hmmm:

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2217 on: April 19, 2018, 09:33:56 pm »
Yes I think the change to Cobalt motors will help with a lot of your issues but maybe a few more feed wires would also help. I have every piece of track with a feed even in the fiddle yard, the only exception which is in the fiddle yard is where there is a small piece of track where the points are close together. Then I have soldered the feed across the track joiner which joins the small rail to the point so it feeds both. Has to the cause of your mysterious/ spurious messages to locos, it can only be the decoder itself or the control system. Not sure if you use the same make of decoder in all your locos,I do not need to tell you how to fault find. You could easily add feed wires to your non scenic storage tracks, just add feeds to the outside of the rails and see if that improves running on those sections.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:09:29 am by lil chris, Reason: spelling »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2218 on: April 19, 2018, 09:38:00 pm »
You'll not thank me for saying this, Laurence, but any time I start considering DCC I just read the latest couple of pages of your posts and it puts me right. I'm sure there must be a simple(ish) answer to all the running issues you have with losses/changes of addresses as no one else has reported so many problems. :hmmm:

At least Mick considers DCC!  I have never considered it and know little of its workings, so not sensible for me to comment.

But I will!

This layout has the cleanest track in the Kingdom.

Locomotives appear to have difficulties at random, although the tank engines appear to be more affected by gremlins (fewer pick-ups?).

The common factor appears to be the controller.  Can you borrow another, plug it in and see what happens?

The run away train must have been an interesting experience, particularly when the 'panic button' did not work.  It takes a moment to comprehend what is actually happening in circumstances like this.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #2219 on: April 19, 2018, 10:38:16 pm »

At least Mick considers DCC!

Once every blue moon :no: I'd need to win bigtime on the lottery to get all my motive power chipped and then pay a hitman to take out the bloke who told me DCC only requires 2 wires but omitted to tell me how basic that was. The tenner I won on the postcode lottery won't stretch too far.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here