!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 43 / HST  (Read 52404 times)

Online Lindi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 43 / HST
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2018, 08:11:29 pm »
Hello All,
Has anyone successfully changed the headlights/nose on a Dapol HST? I'm slightly disappointed that Dapol have made the post-Valenta powercar as opposed to the Valenta 43 in GNER and am wondering if I could change this? (Pre-order number 2 might be cancelled)
Regards,
Philip

The main body shell of the HST is the same. It is just the light lenses that are different(Parts 14A & 14B) . However the lighting circuit board for the original HST's has three SMD LED's and three plastic lighting channels ( Part 50, 51, 52 & 29B) and the post Valenta variant only has two (Part 27,28 & 29A) 

Post Valenta exploded diagram

Origianl HST exploded diagram

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2018, 02:13:08 pm »
Post Valenta exploded diagram

Origianl HST exploded diagram

[/quote]

Thank you! I shall try to acquire an original dummy unit and will then attempt to replace the lighting on the GNER dummy unit! The diagrams look fairly simple but in my experience Dapol locomotives are a nightmare to open up!
Regards,
Philip

Online Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2018, 02:38:47 pm »
@G_N_E_R  the light apertures are super glued in, once you try and take them out of the body they tend to break off as incredibly brittle.  Parts 30/31/32 on Lindi's Diagram.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:17:13 pm by Tank »

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2018, 03:29:18 pm »
@G_N_E_R  the light apertures are super glued in, once you try and take them out of the body they tend to break off as incredibly brittle.

They don't seem to be on the latest production run, they were just a push fit. I've just taken them out to correct the front lighting for a 1970's version.

in my experience Dapol locomotives are a nightmare to open up!

The body just pulls off. I use a thin guitar pick (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072LT8JJT) each side to slide between the body and the chassis and it just lifts off. Removing the cab interior took a bit more persuasion
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:03:39 am by Lindi »

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2018, 08:34:37 pm »
@Lindi thank you very much! I shall hope so and take confidence from your successful conversion!
Regards,
Philip

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2018, 12:24:46 pm »
Following the screening of Channel 5's programme about the HST125 I decided I should have an example of this iconic train and so, with the great advice of form members, spent many, many pounds (you can tell as I'm now reduced to eating cat food) on the bookset 2F-019-005 along with a TS 2F-005-038, 2 x TS 2F-005-37 and a TF 2F-005-024.....

A light oiling later (as advised in the instructions) and the set was running. Very smooth and quiet with the powered car hauling but somewhat noisy when propelling. However, this was after just 10 minutes and I hope it'll settle down with running in. It's certainly a lovely model and, looks wise, matches up well against the prototype.....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqsrpa7oz0326qh/HST%20125%20%281%29.MOV?dl=0

However, and I don't know whether this is prototypical or a manufacturing goof, the rooves on the bookset are a very dark grey whereas the extra coaches have a much paler grey. Any comments from the cognoscenti please?.........

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2018, 01:19:29 pm »
the rooves on the bookset are a very dark grey whereas the extra coaches have a much paler grey. Any comments from the cognoscenti please?.........

You appear to have put your finger on an ongoing debate, Dapol have “goofed” numerous times on HST colours, not just roofs.

In reality weathering would make coach roofs unique, but probably with such a difference between adjacent vehicles.

Skyline2uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2018, 01:52:13 pm »
Guess I'll just use my gas operated (not by me!) viewing stool at a lower level so I can't see them, then

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2018, 02:43:16 pm »
the rooves on the bookset are a very dark grey whereas the extra coaches have a much paler grey. Any comments from the cognoscenti please?.........

You appear to have put your finger on an ongoing debate, Dapol have “goofed” numerous times on HST colours, not just roofs.

In reality weathering would make coach roofs unique, but probably with such a difference between adjacent vehicles.

Skyline2uk

Have they done it again with the most recent batch? Would have thought they'd have got that sorted now, given how many runs have been done in all the BR-era liveries.

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2018, 03:53:44 pm »
The roof colour varied quite a bit. In the early 1980's BR still kept the HST's in fixed rakes so the coaches would have all been cleaned and subject to the same conditions. This photo I took in the early 1980's shows a differences in roof colour. The lead power car and the following coach are dark grey, the next 3 coaches have a lighter grey roof, then another dark grey roof, a  light grey roof and the rest dark grey.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2018, 04:14:00 pm »
 There are some roof inaccuracies - which I don't mind - and they wouldn't be Dapol models if there weren't some livery faults.

Though having said that, as @Lindi highlights, there's a prototype for everything.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2018, 05:26:31 pm »
This photo from 1982 also shows various shades of grey for the roofs (but not 50)

copyright Lewis Bevan (flcikr)

I think the main problem with the Dapol model is that the roofs supplied in the box set look too dark to photographic evidence. However the BR Corporate Identity Manual states the roof of the power cars as black which is what Dapol have modelled

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2018, 10:55:16 pm »
Guess I'll just use my gas operated (not by me!) viewing stool at a lower level so I can't see them, then

Ongoing problem that Dapol had right from the start on these - even the first runs.

I ended up popping the roofs that were light grey and respraying them Humbrol satin black 85 which is a good match for those that are black.

Looks a lot better.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2018, 11:19:33 pm »
FGW coaches, should have blue roofs. Dapol decided black was better! ???
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2018, 11:38:39 pm »
FGW coaches, should have blue roofs. Dapol decided black was better! ???

They look grey in this photo.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here