It's N Gauge, not N scale!

Started by petejones, June 12, 2018, 10:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Quote from: The Q on June 13, 2018, 11:50:50 AM
I ask then when the camel train is coming in...

Then I have to explain a train is not an object, it is a line of Items joined together, trains do not run on the rails a railway(railroad) train runs on the rails..

As in a wedding train on a wedding dress?

I can assure you from experience it is an object!!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dannyboy

I suppose we all had to train for something at some stage.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

LongHairedDavid

I have spent the last XX years working in HO and N Scale building US outline railroads. Starting again in January, I am now having to learn that I am building a model railway in N gauge. I slip up somethines
David
FC - Pennvale Sands - N Gauge
Ex - Main Man on the Sunset & North Eastern RR.
http://pennvaleblog.co.uk

acko22

Quote from: PaulCheffus on June 13, 2018, 11:31:56 AM
Quote from: njee20 on June 13, 2018, 10:33:23 AM
At least we can all agree that "train station" is just wrong. Although trains stop there, not railways, and you wouldn't say "road station" for a place that buses stop...

Basically its the medium of transport that should be used for example airport, spaceport, railway station. Bus station is the odd one out as you can't say road station as is only for one type of vehicle.

So what do you call it when nothing stops there as Northern have cancelled them all?  ???
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

themadhippy

Buses run on roads they stop at bus stations,not road stations.
Trains run on rails so its a train station.
Trams run on rails but ive never heard anyone referring to there stops as railway stations
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

njee20

But it isn't a train station. Anyone using that expression should be publicly humiliated.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: themadhippy on June 13, 2018, 02:31:00 PM
Buses run on roads they stop at bus stations,not road stations.
Trains run on rails so its a train station.
Trams run on rails but ive never heard anyone referring to there stops as railway stations

Hi

I don't normally quote Wikipedia but

In British English, traditional usage favours railway station or simply station, even though train station, which is often perceived as an Americanism, is now about as common as railway station in writing; railroad station is not used, railroad being obsolete there. In British usage, the word station is commonly understood to mean a railway station unless otherwise qualified. In American English, the most common term in contemporary usage is train station; railroad station and railway station are less common, though they have been more common in the past.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

daffy

N-Gauge or N-scale  - I care not. To me it's all just N-joyable, N-ter-training, and N-dlessly addictive.

As for train stations, railway stations, or what-you-will, they will perhaps one day all be termed as 'interchanges' or 'transport hubs'. The nearest place to me with a railway line is Skegness, and the signage outside the place where the railway trains and buses stop states 'Skegness Interchange' not 'Station'.

But the rail line meets the buffers here, so maybe it should be called a 'Terminus'.

And that's the end of that.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

keithbythe sea

Quote from: acko22 on June 13, 2018, 02:10:35 PM
At least we can all agree that "train station" is just wrong. Although trains stop there, not railways, and you wouldn't say "road station" for a place that buses stop...

Basically its the medium of transport that should be used for example airport, spaceport, railway station. Bus station is the odd one out as you can't say road station as is only for one type of vehicle.

So what do you call it when nothing stops there as Northern have cancelled them all?  ???

~$#*'ing annoying and frustrating!  :veryangry:

Newportnobby

Quote from: acko22 on June 13, 2018, 02:10:35 PM

Preston :doh:

Richard G Dallimore

Railway station simple because the railway is always there, trains are not.

N Gauge implies British outline to 1:148 scale
N Scale implies European or American (rest of world, excluding Japan) to 1:160 scale
Japan is to 1:150 scale.

Bachman Farish calling theirs N Scale could be taken to mean to 1:160 scale ie to small, I think it does matter. It muddies the water, using N Scale products is fine if you are making an informed choice and know that you are. This why it is important that items are clearly labeled what scale they are and why I get annoyed by the use of N Scale for 1:148 scale products.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

themadhippy

QuoteBut it isn't a train station. Anyone using that expression should be publicly humiliated.
why? station is  from stationary ,or not moving.The rails dont move,unless its rather hot or cold,its the trains that become stationary.

The Q

Quote from: Bealman on June 13, 2018, 12:27:37 PM
Quote from: The Q on June 13, 2018, 11:50:50 AM
I ask then when the camel train is coming in...

Then I have to explain a train is not an object, it is a line of Items joined together, trains do not run on the rails a railway(railroad) train runs on the rails..

As in a wedding train on a wedding dress?

I can assure you from experience it is an object!!  ;)
It's another misuse of the word train, it's a piece of cloth, attached to a dress making a train it itself is just a piece of cloth.

The Q

Quote from: themadhippy on June 13, 2018, 05:57:22 PM
QuoteBut it isn't a train station. Anyone using that expression should be publicly humiliated.
why? station is  from stationary ,or not moving.The rails dont move,unless its rather hot or cold,its the trains that become stationary.
It's not a train that arrives at the station, a train is a thing of connected items, a railway train arrives at a railway station, not a camel train not a wagon train not a wedding dress train it's a railway train.

themadhippy

Quotea railway train arrives at a railway station, not a camel train
unless your in egypt
Quotenot a wedding dress train
you ever been to gretna green station ?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP