Problems with my golf website

Started by Trainfish, April 17, 2013, 01:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

Ok so it's not the most technical website in the world but for some of the people who view it there's a reason for that. Anyway, it loads perfectly in Firefox and I believe other browsers but not in IE. See what I mean? Some viewers still use IE. Can anyone tell me why the pictures don't show up? The site can be found HERE
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

MJKERR

Quite simply IE is only able to read correct coding and Firefox can read any code
Your website has been created using Microsoft Word and not converted into HTML
The images do not load as the file format is incorrect

Caz

Looks a nice course, wouldn't mind playing that sometime when I'm over in the UK.   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

MikeDunn

Quote from: mjkerr on April 17, 2013, 02:14:43 AM
Quite simply IE is only able to read correct coding and Firefox can read any code
Your website has been created using Microsoft Word and not converted into HTML
The images do not load as the file format is incorrect
Not quite ... while it has been done in Word it is in a valid format - XML.

However ... IE does have problems with XML.  You're best using a proper web-page writer & (as Mike says) saving as HTML.

MJKERR

Quote from: MikeDunn on April 17, 2013, 08:08:50 PMNot quite ... while it has been done in Word it is in a valid format - XML
If you look at the line with the IMG code, it has retained the Word formatting, so is neither XML nor HTML
However, when viewed in Firefox it ignores the Word formatting and reads only the (correct) HTML format
Equally, the error 505 code suggests the code has not been uploaded in the correct format

EtchedPixels

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

MJKERR

W3 is dead and buried...
Useful for checking code errors though, but there are better methods now

Trainfish

Thanks for all the responses. I guessed it was probably something to do with using MS Word. The trouble is it had to be done using a program which another person understood and unfortunately they don't know much! It also had to be kept as simple as possible (partly for that 1st reason) as some of the members aren't too IT aware is I think the best way of putting it. If anyone knows of a very simple program which achieves the same result then by all means let me know. Years ago I used MS Word for loads of web pages and it was fine but that was quite an old version of MS Word.

Yes Caz, it is a decent course and probably one of the best set-ups around here. Unfortunately the owner isn't willing to spend too much money on it at the moment and it's a bit rough around the edges. If anyone has a couple of million to spare then please make him an offer!
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations