Think my machine is on its last legs

Started by michael, August 29, 2011, 03:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

I always have 2 HDDs on my computer, one for storing data and the other for running the OS, using a Linux OS with updated systems being released every six months it makes it easy to quickly load the latest onto the computer, usually less than 1 hour with updates.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

red_death

Quote from: cudders on August 30, 2011, 05:44:15 PM
Always run two disks.. I dont bother with any fancy mirroring..not needed..

Partition your main drive and have the operatijg system on it's own partition, data on the other. Often the operating system fails not the drive, nice and easy to rebuild, all data is safe on the 2nd parition. This can then be set to auto back up onto the second drive!

Easy peasy.

Not half as easy as mirroring!

I would also take issue with your point about the OS failing and not the hardware - software issues are normally resolvable, hardware failure is a pain in the neck (depending on exactly what has failed).

Similarly partitioning a drive won't save you from hardware failure, though I agree it helps keep things more neat and tidy.

cudders

Quote from: red_death on August 31, 2011, 12:06:15 PM
Quote from: cudders on August 30, 2011, 05:44:15 PM
Always run two disks.. I dont bother with any fancy mirroring..not needed..

Partition your main drive and have the operatijg system on it's own partition, data on the other. Often the operating system fails not the drive, nice and easy to rebuild, all data is safe on the 2nd parition. This can then be set to auto back up onto the second drive!

Easy peasy.

Not half as easy as mirroring!

I would also take issue with your point about the OS failing and not the hardware - software issues are normally resolvable, hardware failure is a pain in the neck (depending on exactly what has failed).

Similarly partitioning a drive won't save you from hardware failure, though I agree it helps keep things more neat and tidy.

It's easy, bolt in switch on ..job done.

Where did i say hardware didn't fail? I didn't...Read it again.

Where did I say paritioning saves a hardward failure? I didn't...Read it again.

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

red_death

Oh please don't play the pedant - if you want to play that game where did I say that you wrote that hardware didn't fail.  I didn't...read it again.

It soon gets boring.

My point was (that you seem to have misunderstood) is software issues are relatively easy to resolve, hardware failures much more so.  So your point about it being "often" the OS fails not the drive is a bit of a moot point and an IMHO misleading.

In 10 years plus of having to look after an array of desktops/laptops and a variety of servers I know where would I expend my effort. Mirroring is not a replacement for back ups (for a variety of reasons) but if a primary drive fails the back up is only as much use as whenever it was last performed.  With a mirrored HDD you have redundancy against one drive failing before your back up is done.

Tank

Come on chaps, cool down.  You each have your preferred ways by the sounds of things, but there is no point falling out. :thumbsup:

michael

back on topic, my machine is off for repaire tomorrow. Its a long time since Ive used my laptop on t'internet, so dont know how I'll get on!

Lawrence

I'm beginning to wish I had never asked Tank to set this section up  ::)

Michael - I am sure you will have no probs with the laptop, not my favourite device I admit but it will see you through till yours is fixed  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Lawrence on August 31, 2011, 08:27:25 PM

Michael - I am sure you will have no probs with the laptop, not my favourite device I admit but it will see you through till yours is fixed  :thumbsup:

Laptops are all I've ever had at home so I just back up to a Seagate external drive. Touch wood (head, in my case) I've not had any problems.
Everything else above has gone way over my head. A mirror is something I use for shaving, a partition is the bit between my office and the bosses, and a primary drive is where I park my car. Numpty or what :-[

cudders

Quote from: red_death on August 31, 2011, 04:28:35 PM
Oh please don't play the pedant - if you want to play that game where did I say that you wrote that hardware didn't fail.  I didn't...read it again.

It soon gets boring.

My point was (that you seem to have misunderstood) is software issues are relatively easy to resolve, hardware failures much more so.  So your point about it being "often" the OS fails not the drive is a bit of a moot point and an IMHO misleading.

In 10 years plus of having to look after an array of desktops/laptops and a variety of servers I know where would I expend my effort. Mirroring is not a replacement for back ups (for a variety of reasons) but if a primary drive fails the back up is only as much use as whenever it was last performed.  With a mirrored HDD you have redundancy against one drive failing before your back up is done.
Err..Pedant? I think you have some issues there. I didn't miss your point at all. You mis-quoted and I responded. How can saying O/S often fails be misleading? It's a fact just as hardware fails is a fact. I have rebuilt 86 devices this year where to O/S has failed. Not really sure why an argument formed? I have 27 years experience but so what ? doesn't make me an expert. I simply offered my opinion and advice. If you want to throw pointless jibes feel free. I'm not listening.

Apologies to the guy who just asked for advice. This is one the reasons forums suck.

Tank, apologies also, I didn't start it. Now back to the trains  :NGAUGE:

Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Sprintex

Quote from: newportnobby on August 31, 2011, 09:15:10 PM
A mirror is something I use for shaving, a partition is the bit between my office and the bosses, and a primary drive is where I park my car. Numpty or what :-[

No, it's called being normal and not a technogeek  ;)

Paul

Mustermark

I think that since michael's machine is now off to the repair shop, it is unlikely that we can be of further help to him in this thread.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Tank

Well done Mustermark.

I have sent a Private Message about this.  After a member of staff intervenes I don't want arguments to continue on this forum.  We all have our own opinions, but getting personal only causes harm to our feelings and the forum.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations