Best platform for N Gauge

Started by chicky365, November 20, 2017, 04:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicky365

I am beginning my N Gauge layout and have got stuck when trying to find the best platforms as none I can see look as good as the platforms Ive admired in magazines. My layout is at home and will not be taken to exhibitions or moved so I want to produce nice looking platforms without gaps down them where the pieces join.

so far I have looked at the following options:

1. Lyddle End - No longer produced and expensive
2. Graham Farish (Scenecraft) - only produce straight platform sections
2. Peco - Cheap but need to be built and made to look more realistic
4. Metcalfe - Cardboard platforms, not a fan and will not match my Lyddle end/Farish buildings

What have you used for your layout and what would you recommend for realistic, 1990's platforms?

Shiney Sheff

I have made mine out of 2x1 softwood, machined to profile then painted, then brick paper stuck on for the front walls.

Doing it the way I have there are no joints as it's all machined in one piece.

Bob

port perran

Really it is up to you with regard to platforms.
Mine are by and large Peco edging with surfaces made from plasticard. Easy way to disguise the joints in the plasticad is to rub a bit of grout or similar into the joint before painting.
If you are creating curved platform, you can use card edging raher than the pre formed Peco ones.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

BobB

I have used 9mm MDF cut to shape with a thick card top overhanging the edges. (Gives 10 mm height, 6ft above rail height.) The edges I have covered with brick paper.

Dorsetmike

Peco edges, balsa or foam board base covered witha fine grade sander belt sprayed with grey primer for tarmac or a yellowy orange for gravel, the fine grade sander belt surface texture just makes enough difference compared to plain paper or card. If you want paving stones then Slater's embossed plasticard.

I also use sander belt for road surfaces.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

ntpntpntp

I found the Peco platform edges to be the most versatile method. Easy to curve to whatever shape you need.   Infill the space between with balsa and then a layer of plaster gently smoothed with fine grade wet'n'dry.

For my later german layouts, I used the same basic technique but using a simple C girder shape for the edging as the platforms didn't need to be as high.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

bluedepot

yeh I used peco edges too and a card top with balsa wood frame to build it up. it has fine wet and dry paper painted grey for the platform surface.

I think I probably asked on here and copied dorset mike and others suggestions...

I think pre formed platform sections would need re surfacing to hide the joins and plus they are a fixed shape so unless ur tracks were dead straight and parallel they won't fit.

Tim

mattycoops43

I have just done all mine with the Metcalfe kits. I think they are great. I like the way they are able to do whatever shape you like. You get joins where the card tarmac ends, but that can be made very random and will hide fairly easily, although I have not bothered with the weathering yet.

Huge benefit is they are also very cheap, two kits has done my whole layout and I still have a load left. easily 3 large stations worth.

Newportnobby

As I used 9mm sundeala for my baseboard on 'Kimbolted', I will be using offcuts to make platforms and then cover them with 2mm card/plasticard. As my rails sit on 1½mm rubber underlay this will give me correct height for carriages etc

DaveGlew

Quote from: mattycoops43 on November 20, 2017, 09:23:57 PM
I have just done all mine with the Metcalfe kits. I think they are great. I like the way they are able to do whatever shape you like. You get joins where the card tarmac ends, but that can be made very random and will hide fairly easily, although I have not bothered with the weathering yet.

Huge benefit is they are also very cheap, two kits has done my whole layout and I still have a load left. easily 3 large stations worth.

I have some Metcalfe ready to go ...... so nice to see them done.....thanks
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

mattycoops43

Quote from: DaveGlew on December 23, 2017, 09:26:59 PM
Quote from: mattycoops43 on November 20, 2017, 09:23:57 PM

I have some Metcalfe ready to go ...... so nice to see them done.....thanks

You're very welcome!

As an additional comment. I thought i had done them too wide, but compared to 00 gauge the station buildings in N are very wide, so you either need to make a special extension out of the rear for the station building to go on or make them very wide if you want parallel edges. I couldn't fit the waiting room that comes with the country station on my island platform, not with a reasonable gap to get past either side so had to use it elsewhere.

The curved platform on the left in my pic is just about wide enough for the country halt type stations.
Matt

cjdodd

I've just started building mine from a scalescenes kit

https://scalescenes.com/product/r008-station-platform/

very easy to do if you are able to glue a sheet of paper to some card and then cut it out. Very flexible so you can build any shape platform you want. They are available in several types of finish to suit what you need.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations