RIP David Shepherd

Started by port perran, September 20, 2017, 02:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Sad to hear of the passing, yesterday, of David Shepherd the railway and wildlife artist.
He will be greatly missed.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Very sad news. Add steam loco preservationist to his attributes 'Black prince' (9F) and 'The Green Knight' (4MT). A wonderful artist and conservationist.
:( :(

guest373

Very sad, David Shepherd was the President of my club, the REC in Farnborough.  I have a particular memory of being 'advised' that I was running an n gauge Black 5 to fast when he visited our exhibition - a number of years ago.

bridgiesimon

such a shame, one of our best artists moves on.

Simon

Jon898

Sad.  If you haven't read it, his autobiographical work "A Brush With Steam" is well worth searching out.

Jon

GrahamB

I was privileged to meet him once on the East Somerset Railway. Black Prince had just returned from overhaul. He was like a dog with two tails but he had seen me arrive on my Goldwing. We got chatting and we did a deal. I got a footplate ride in return for giving him a pillion ride on the Wing.

Brilliant day.

RIP David.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

martyn

I may have got this wrong-but wasn't he also a 3mm railway modeller? I'm sure I saw an article about his layout in a magazine some years ago.

His 9F 'Black Prince' is now resident on the North Norfolk railway. I remember seeing him there with the 9F and a huge collection of paintings on exhibit at Weybourne, when the loco was just visiting the NNR (and not then owned by the NNR-2007, I think), and also with the 9F at the East Lancs railway many years ago.

RIP to a wonderful artist.

Martyn

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations