"Big Bertha" 0.10.0 Any models?

Started by petercharlesfagg, March 15, 2015, 08:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

Does anyone know of a model that can be viewed of the subject locomotive?

I can think it would be an impressive piece of kit akin to the Fleischmann which I already have in my stable.

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Bealman

Let me know, Peter, 'cos it's one of me favourite British locomotives.

We have a member on the forum who is building an excellent model of the Lickey Incline (you know who you are, Barry!).

George  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Stevie DC

Hi Peter, I've just managed to regain access to some of my books (after six months in storage!). Professor Tim Watson of Copenhagen Fields fame built one for his 'Gouldby for Caldecote' layout. There is a not very clear picture of it on page 55 of Norman Simmons's 'How to go Railway Modelling' (ISBN 0-85059-612-2). My copy dates from 1983 so I have no idea if Tim still has the loco or not (although I'm sure I've asked him this in the past) however, at this time, it would have likely used a Fleischmann or Minitrix unit as a starting point.

For a OO gauge model try this: http://www.vectis.co.uk/AuctionImages/87/4458_l.jpg

A few pictures of the prototype: http://album.atomic-systems.com/showPic.php/133783/58100SaltleyLoco.jpg
http://album.atomic-systems.com/showPic.php/133783/22290BromsgroveSouth.jpg
http://mike.da2c.org/igg/rail/7-fops/fo-intro.htm
http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/LMSR-and-BRM/MR-locomotives/i-Tn7zBdL

Drawings for this locomotive were published in Railway Modeller some years ago (1980s I think) however I've not yet come across the issue during my sorting sessions.

Hope this helps.

Dr Al

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on March 15, 2015, 08:56:30 AM
Does anyone know of a model that can be viewed of the subject locomotive?

I can think it would be an impressive piece of kit akin to the Fleischmann which I already have in my stable.

There isn't a kit or suchlike available, however I've been looking to scratchbuild one in brass using a Dapol 9F chassis for power and a BHE Fowler tender towed behind it, likely containing a Mashima motor to drive the Dapol driveshaft.

I have all the bits, just never taken the plunge and actually started on it yet!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Stevie DC

Quote from: Dr Al on March 15, 2015, 04:59:22 PMThere isn't a kit or suchlike available, however I've been looking to scratchbuild one in brass using a Dapol 9F chassis for power and a BHE Fowler tender towed behind it, likely containing a Mashima motor to drive the Dapol driveshaft.

I have all the bits, just never taken the plunge and actually started on it yet!

Hi Alan,

How does the 9F compare to the Lickey Banker? Looking through some stats the 9F's driving wheels are larger, how does the wheelbase look?

Cheers

Dr Al

Quote from: Atso on March 15, 2015, 05:01:37 PM
How does the 9F compare to the Lickey Banker? Looking through some stats the 9F's driving wheels are larger, how does the wheelbase look?

I measured this up a good while back from Brian Haresnipes' Fowler locos book* and don't recall exactly. However it was close enough clearly, as I bought and stripped a 9F for the task. There won't be anything that's perfect, but this is about the best modern superdetail chassis there is available without major work. I would intend to change the valve gear at the crosshead/slide bars to make them more Midland.

You're putting me in the mood to dig this one out  ;D

Cheers,
Alan

*Incidentally, if you find the RM that has this in let me know as full drawings would be useful - the Haresnipe one is basic and needs some inferring of the dimensions that aren't explicitly marked up!
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Stevie DC

Quote from: Dr Al on March 15, 2015, 05:08:04 PM*Incidentally, if you find the RM that has this in let me know as full drawings would be useful - the Haresnipe one is basic and needs some inferring of the dimensions that aren't explicitly marked up!

No problem Alan, this thread has caught my interest too!

P.S. I finally returned your PM today!  :P

Stevie DC

Wow, I'm on a roll today! Found three sets of drawings that I was looking for!

For reference Big Bertha drawings by Ian Beattie were published in the September 1990 edition of Railway Modeller.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Atso on March 15, 2015, 05:45:15 PM

For reference Big Bertha drawings by Ian Beattie were published in the September 1990 edition of Railway Modeller.

Is there any way for us lesser mortals who do not have access to the magazine from that time to see just what the drawings were like?

Regards Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on March 15, 2015, 05:59:26 PM

Is there any way for us lesser mortals who do not have access to the magazine from that time to see just what the drawings were like?

Regards Peter.

For those interested a publication is available from Peco @ £5.00 plus P&P

http://www.pecopublications.co.uk/PH-207.html

Peter.

Stevie DC

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on March 15, 2015, 06:05:57 PMFor those interested a publication is available from Peco @ £5.00 plus P&Phttp://www.pecopublications.co.uk/PH-207.html

Peter.

You can find second hand copies cheaper on ebay (no I'm not selling mine!).

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Atso on March 15, 2015, 07:03:52 PM
Quote from: petercharlesfagg on March 15, 2015, 06:05:57 PMFor those interested a publication is available from Peco @ £5.00 plus P&Phttp://www.pecopublications.co.uk/PH-207.html

Peter.

You can find second hand copies cheaper on ebay (no I'm not selling mine!).

Bit late now, I've ordered a new copy!

Thanks for the link.

Peter

EtchedPixels

The only 2mm conversion I know of was done using the Minitrix x-10-0 chassis (as used on the Minitrix 9F etc)with the cylinders 180° round.

It doesn't look that bad a loco to scratch build. It's fairly plain except for the area around the cylinders and has a parallel boiler. A Union Mills tender would do for the drive, and just need the rear cab protection adding.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bealman

Whoa! I've got that issue!! I'm diving for the bookshelf!! Thank you and well done, sir!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations