Wagon wheels - NOT the chocolate biscuit !

Started by Dancess, April 23, 2015, 01:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancess

Am looking to replace wheels on some of my old Farish wagons but unsure of whether spoked or 3 hole disc would be correct, can a generalisation be applied that wooden bodied had spoked wheels while others had disc variety?

Many thanks
S&D lives on - sort of!

talisman56

3-hole disc wheels were generally used on wooden-bodied wagons too. I have a similar question outstanding prompted by the Peco wagon chassis kits being supplied with spoked wheels and me having to buy sets of disc wheels to replace the spoked ones on my NGS SR van, and shock wagon/van kits...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

PLD

Quote from: Dancess on April 23, 2015, 01:10:58 PM
Am looking to replace wheels on some of my old Farish wagons but unsure of whether spoked or 3 hole disc would be correct, can a generalisation be applied that wooden bodied had spoked wheels while others had disc variety?

Many thanks
Unfortunately it's not as simple as that...

There are several factors to consider

• When the wagon was built - newer wagons would generally have had solid wheels from new, however wagons could have received replacements of either style. There were plenty of examples with different types on each axle!
  • Who built the wagon - some private builders carried on using spoked wheels at least into the 1950s whereas Big 4 built wagons were virtually all solid wheels before WW2
  • Intended use and service speed - wagons intended for faster, longer services would generally have solid wheels. Slow coal wagons for example would often have kept spoked wheels for longer.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations