Retro modeller

Started by belstone, May 07, 2013, 02:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belstone

Quote from: xm607 on July 12, 2018, 10:05:50 PM
Ian Kirk also did plastic kits for the LNER B1 and V1/3, the B1 used the Peco Jubilee chassis and the V1/3 the Minitrix 2-6-2 tank, MTK was supposed to do a class 20 to fit an Atlas SW1200 diesel switcher chassis. The class 20 was one of the first diesel bodies that I made in plastic and cast them in resin glue produced from a rubber mold, they also used the Atlas chassis.

One of my childhood memories was seeing class 20 diesels on a layout built by the Doncaster MRC in around 1973-4. Presumably MTK kits, one of the members had quite a few N gauge blue diesels that he ran on the layout.

Richard

belstone

Spotted on eBay and far more significant than you might think.  I believe this set contains the first ever British N Gauge ready to run models.  The Wrenn-Lima AL6, brake van, mineral wagon and Mk1 coaches were announced in summer 1967, with the train sets in the shops for Christmas that year, beating Minitrix to the market by a good few months.  Hopefully this will go to someone who appreciates it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173380007632

Richard

RailGooner

Looks like it has been well cared for. I wonder if the box has been switched though? The box art shows a passenger train, and the box end is marked "Set No.1 B.R. Passenger". Though the wagons look a definite fit in the inlay. :-\

njee20

Agreed, definitely not the original outer box. Doesn't seem particularly expensive if you're into that sort of thing.

ntpntpntp

Similar No 2 goods sets still seem to have the same box lid with the passenger train depicted (see vectis auctions etc.).    So it's *almost* 100%.

It does kind of appeal to the collector in me, but would have to be a bit cheaper given it is mislabelled / not the original lid.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

belstone

Quote from: captainelectra on May 09, 2013, 01:08:35 PM
Anyone remember the Jamie Micro Traction kit for a GWR Large prairie. It was largely plastic, with a brass chassis and rather crude. My father bought one out of curiosity but we could never get it to do anything.

I believe that there may have been an LNER N2 kit from the same stable.

Only six years since your post, and I've acquired one!  Never been out of its packaging until today.  I've had a quick look at the bits and reckon the chances of getting it to work would be pretty low.  I'm thinking of putting together something about it to submit as an article for the NGS journal but I could do with some more information.  I have a review somewhere from Model Railway Constructor, I think around 1969.  Their review sample was already assembled and didn't have a motor .  Does anyone know who was behind Micro Traction?

Richard

belstone

MRC review was May 1969, 50 years ago!  I wonder how many were sold, and whether any others survive.

Richard

Paddy

Quote from: EtchedPixels on May 08, 2013, 10:51:07 PM
The trick with the Lima siphon is to buy a cheap Dapol siphon, turn the Dapol siphon body into a grounded store of some kind and put the Dapol chassis on the Lima one. It fits a treat and then runs beautifully.

It's also possible to update it to the correct 1970s arrangements for rail blue ones if desired.

Alan

Yep, works a treat Alan.  There is an explanation of the work needed in my HOLLERTON JUNCTION thread.  One little bit of advice, try and get the original version of the Dapol Siphon as the couple together more closely.  Having said that, you can correct this on the later ones if you have shorter couplers that you can fit (again, you can see this done and the difference it makes on my thread).

Hope this helps.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

icairns

Actually, if you are planning to upgrade the Lima siphon, you do not need to purchase a complete Dapol siphon.  Dapol sell the siphon chassis separately (part no. 2A-000-020).  These are currently available from Hattons for £4.50 each.

I have upgraded several Lima siphons using this chassis and the running qualities are significantly improved.

Ian
Los Angeles 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations