Class 43 HST125

Started by Newportnobby, May 16, 2018, 03:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Having watched the very good programme last night about this train, horror of horrors I seem to have developed a yen for one, purely based on it being such an iconic train.
Now I've looked at the Review section but there is just too much stuff there and I don't want to wade through discussions of different liveries etc as all I want is the original blue/grey exactly as this bearing in mind I know nada about this sort of purchase....

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/33065/dapol-2d-019-005-n-gauge-class-43-hst-blue-grey-er-43193-119-4-car-set

I'm assuming Farish don't make one as the last one I could see was their reference number 8125.
Can you get extra coaches for the Dapol one and, if so, what should I look out for to make a 6 or 8 car train?
Am I right in that only one driving car is powered?
Are there any errors/horrors I should be aware of?
Is this want even likely to get off the ground i.e. is stuff available or 'in the future'?
Have I gone over to the dark side?

njee20

Farish did do one, but it's a very old (Poole) model, and most would say inferior to the Dapol offering which has lights, DCC compatibility (realise not relevant for you) etc.

So yes, you want the set you've linked to. They were 8-9 coaches in use, but if doing a 6-ish car set I'd add a single TF and three TSs. That is one of either 2P-005-024 or 2P-005-025 and 2P-005-037/38, there is 2P-005-039, but that's a Western Region coach (number starts with a W), so you can either double up on one of 37/38 or have one coach ostensibly from the WCML with the others from the ECML. 2P-005-036 is another Eastern Region coach yet to be released.

All items are in stock at Hatton's (and others I'm sure)

If you want an 8-car rake you need another TF, and another TS, again, you  can double up on TSs or mix regions. The running numbers being so tiny I'd personally duplicate rather than have different region designations.

Intercity

They are great trains and for the most part the extra coaches are readily available, note that coaches with buffers were not used in HST takes, they have different cables/voltages, some people report the lights on them failing, if you buy new I wouldn't worry too much and DCC supplies can probably fix anyway.

Also the W prefix was for western region sets and the E for eastern region, I don't believe the West Coast ever had any allocated to them in the BG era.

Newportnobby

Thanks for the replies answering most of the questions
@njee20  Rails have the TF and TS in stock (non buffered using their magnified pics) so I reckon 1 x TF and 3 x TS + the 4 coach set would do me (not fussed about duplicating coach numbers as I can't see 'em anyway) but I'm staring some £250 in the face (makes the Pendolino look the bargain it was!)

Still leaves me with:_
Is just the one car powered?
Are the powered cars subject to being noisy - something I have bad experience of with Dapol locos?
(Added the last one)

Thanks again

njee20

Yes, sorry, force of habit writing WCML, not GWML for Western.

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 16, 2018, 03:53:11 PM
Thanks for the replies answering most of the questions
@njee20  Rails have the TF and TS in stock (non buffered using their magnified pics) so I reckon 1 x TF and 3 x TS + the 4 coach set would do me (not fussed about duplicating coach numbers as I can't see 'em anyway) but I'm staring some £250 in the face (makes the Pendolino look the bargain it was!)

Still leaves me with:_
Is just the one car powered?
Are the powered cars subject to being noisy - something I have bad experience of with Dapol locos?
(Added the last one)

Thanks again

One powered yes, but bags of power, I've got a couple of full 2+8 rakes and they'll easily do a 2% gradient at any speed.

They're not particularly noisy though.

The lights can be prone to failing, and some early ones overheated, but not seen reports of that for a long time.

Newportnobby

All showing in stock at Rails and ordered, for better or worse (the last couple of times I said that disaster ensued :uneasy:)
My get out of jail card is they'll be told to cancel it all if they aren't in stock >:D

Skyline2uk

Welcome to the wonderful world of the HST @Newportnobby   :claphappy:

Huge fan here (obviously) but sadly only have an elderly Farish GW Merlin livery power car set (a livery not yet covered by Dapol) as I have no room for a full length one.

Is this to be a replacement for your Pendo?

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

Quote from: Skyline2uk on May 16, 2018, 04:52:45 PM

The jury is still out on that as one driving car of my Pendo is no good and I wait to know what I have to do with it. I just think the HST was an icon. Strange how I've avoided getting a Flying Scotsman steamer :hmmm:

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 16, 2018, 05:03:42 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on May 16, 2018, 04:52:45 PM

The jury is still out on that as one driving car of my Pendo is no good and I wait to know what I have to do with it. I just think the HST was an icon. Strange how I've avoided getting a Flying Scotsman steamer :hmmm:

Agree on the icon, you won't be surprised to here  ;D

Assuming you like the HST, maybe you could pick up a good Poole Farish Scotsman, A4 (Mallard?) and Deltic and have yourself a ECML icon collection?

But that is ignoring your Great Western preferences, I forget do you have a Western Diesel?

Skyline2uk

msr

Bachmann-Farish did release the HST, in the attractive in Midland Mainline teal livery in 2002. I am not sure which other liveries were released at that time, possibly the GNER dark blue one, but there was just one power car by then. The earliest (Poole) Farish HST's had motors in both power cars.

If I recall, you are not a fan of DCC sound, but I am personally very impressed with some of the more recent HST sound projects fitted to Dapol sets, where there decoders are set slightly differently for the leading and trailing power cars. They even reproduce the squealing sound of the coach suspension.

njee20

Farish have done many of the liveries frankly: blue and grey, Executive, Swallow, GW Merlin, First GW barbie, GNER, Virgin, Midland Mainline teal and later blue. Sure there are others!

Yet_Another

*cough* obviously too late , but I have three ER TSOs for sale in the N'porium at this very moment.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=3167
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Newportnobby

Quote from: Skyline2uk on May 16, 2018, 05:10:54 PM

Assuming you like the HST, maybe you could pick up a good Poole Farish Scotsman, A4 (Mallard?) and Deltic and have yourself a ECML icon collection?

But that is ignoring your Great Western preferences, I forget do you have a Western Diesel?

Skyline2uk

I have an A4 (Wild Swan) and the DP1 + a green Deltic and as for Western diesels only 6 x class 52, 6 x class 42, 3 x class 35, 3 x class 22, a class 14 and 3 x class 47s :D

Quote from: msr on May 16, 2018, 07:01:46 PM

If I recall, you are not a fan of DCC sound

Sorry, but  :no:

Quote from: Yet_Another on May 16, 2018, 08:10:55 PM
*cough* obviously too late , but I have three ER TSOs for sale in the N'porium at this very moment.

Drat. Sorry. However, if Rails are short of stock I could well be back to you

Skyline2uk

:laughabovepost:

Shame on me for not paying attention to Kimbolted thread  :-[

Skyline2uk

Dr Al

My first batch Blue HST from Dapol went back as a hot over-current runner (drew a horrid 300mA, should be <125mA). Subsequent sets have all been fine.

Lights are prone to failure - the components on the PCBs are very poor quality - the diodes in particular die. Coupling heights can be a a bit varied, and there can be dragging of the flanges on the undersides of the chassis (this can be modified easily to avoid).

However, the Dapol model does run well, you can fit light bars to the coaches which work well on DC and are impressive. I think most imperatively the nose shape and lighting has been captured extremely well, and it exudes the character of the prototype.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations