Farish 101 DMU Gears

Started by Shiney Sheff, September 20, 2018, 09:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiney Sheff

I know a lot of us on here repair our own loco's, but I think I may have hit the jackpot for changing split gears on the Farish (Poole) 101 DMU, one later type chassis with 5 pole motor has just cost me 10 new ones, 4- 12 tooth, 4- 16 tooth and 2- 25 tooth, is this a record or has some of you had to replace more in one go.

Bob

martyn

Probably not as many, but about six months ago I replaced about 6 gears, the armature, all the bearings and made it a six pin DCC-runs like a dream, but still as noisy as a bucket of nails!

Martyn

Dr Al

Quote from: Shiney Sheff on September 20, 2018, 09:55:01 PM
I know a lot of us on here repair our own loco's, but I think I may have hit the jackpot for changing split gears on the Farish (Poole) 101 DMU, one later type chassis with 5 pole motor has just cost me 10 new ones, 4- 12 tooth, 4- 16 tooth and 2- 25 tooth, is this a record or has some of you had to replace more in one go.

Very common - I've seen several where it's been 4 12 toothers, 6 16 toothers (of two types) and 2 25 toothers.

But if replaced correctly they shouldn't go again.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Shiney Sheff

Finally got my new stock of 16 tooth gears from Bob at BR Lines, last one fitted and now on test to run the all the new gears in, what an incredible difference, it runs so smooth and I have never had the 5 pole chassis run so quiet.

A job definitely worth doing.  :)

Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations