Identifying Mk3s and Mk3as

Started by BrakeCoach, March 01, 2017, 04:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrakeCoach

:hellosign:
I know that the Mk3as have buffers attatched, so that it could connect to BGs, and other vehicles. However, I saw that the TGSs, which are not Mk3as, have buffers! How can I exactly see the differences between Loco-hauled MK3as and HST Mk3s?
:confusedsign:

njee20

Real, or model?

HST mk3s don't have buffers, however all Farish mk3s have buffers, and Dapol released a batch wrongly lettered as HST coaches.

There are other differences on the roof hatches on the real ones which aren't reflected on the models.

CaleyDave

The TGS shouldn't have buffers*
(* A numbers were converted along with some HST power cars to have buffers so they could work with class 91 electrics on the east coast during testing.)

When it comes to the current Dapol Models then the only way to tell them apart is the buffers or the numbers on the side as all Dapol coaches have the same roof vents regardless of whether it is correct.
Dapol have shown some interest in producing the correct roof vents but an announcement is yet to be made.

---

On the Real Trains the big difference is vents on the roof.
(Designations as built)

The Prototype mk3's are recognizable in unconverted form as all, including the power cars, having 3 smaller roof vents and buffers as well as things like recessed door handles and flush window surrounds. (TS,FS,TRUB,TRUK)

The mk3's were for the HST all have 1 large roof vent at each end (TF,TS,TRSB,TRK,TRUB,TGS) and no buffers (As Produced by Dapol) The power cars have 3 vents.

The mk3a First (FO) and Standard (SO) Coaches have 3 smaller roof vents whilst the Restaurant car (3 windowed,  RFB) had square vents. All have buffers.

The mk3b's all had 1 single roof vent and buffers. The First were mainly for Pullman trains and there were no standard class coaches. (FO,BFO,SLE,SLEP,DVT).

MJKERR

Are you looking at Farish or Dapol models?

Farish models have a mould at the end which includes the door step and buffers, therefore the buffers would be incorrect on most of the HST
The body is based on the HST

Dapol models are vastly more accurate, although even here there are some inaccuracies (due to batch production)
The body is based on the HST
Each variant was then produced in a version with buffers, if required
Sadly one batch was released incorrectly with buffers
The TRFM / RSM was also incorrect on both versions in the InterCity (raspberry ripple) liveries, on one the livery is inaccruate and in the other the body is incorrect, however with minor correction the TRSM can be created which is correct!
The latest TGS is also let down by a different glazing unit which does not support the lighting strips

BrakeCoach

Quote from: MJKERR on March 01, 2017, 10:53:04 AM
Are you looking at Farish or Dapol models?
I was looking for Farish, but I will stick to Dapol, since I can identify the two coaches.

njee20

What are you actually looking for? Which coaches/liveries?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations