Microsloth again

Started by Dorsetmike, March 22, 2017, 04:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Bowden

There have been problems with Microsoft log in servers in the last few days. The message you had doesn't look like a Microsoft message. They do like to have alternate email and mobile phone details for your account. If you don't supply them you do get a request to do so. As far as I know if you don't supply the information it might be slightly harder to recover your password if you forget it but nothing more than that unless you opt for two factor login where after giving your ID and password you then have to give a random number that is sent to you by text.
Like most IT companies they are obsessed with collecting data on users.

njee20

My take on it...

Someone is tricking you into changing your password. The process to change it is legit, with the need for a secondary email address/phone number.

"Microsoft Support" are not legit, my guess is they will somehow obtain your new password, key logging or something, but can't circumvent real processes. Hence the very odd email saying what a pain it is.

That may be too advanced, and it may be as simple as a fake "change password" screen, but then I'd have thought they'd get rid of two factor authorisation.

Would certainly be interested to know how you contacted support, Mike?

Dorsetmike

ever heard of google?

I've now got a keyboard problem, I use a kvm switch torun 2 PC's on 1 k/b, mouse & monitor, k/b worksfine on tge other PC but onthis one I get no alpha-numeric characters, but shift,ctrl and the "media" keys work.
I'm having to use the "on screen" k/b hence some of the typos! Have to type into note pad &copy/paste.

I hae the same problem trying to log into onedrive as with skype so don't see it as hack situation.
I originallyfollowed the link from the failed log in, that is what appears to have triggered the initial
change password email.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dorsetmike

Just done a system restore, K/B now working,but still can not access Skype etc, password problem still; any suggestions for an alternative IM with file transfer?
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Ian Bowden

Microsoft authentication servers affecting one drive, outlook, Xbox, skype and microsoft 360 have been having problems over the last few days with the entire network down at one point. Anything that required logging onto Microsoft to run was affected.

Dorsetmike

That would fit the problems I've been having.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

njee20

Mmm, not really. That wouldn't force a password change, and wouldn't explain a response from 'Microsoft Support' in poor English. If anything if they had a server down I'd expect traffic to be so high that you'd get a generic reply, and maybe a personal one after a week or so!

What email address did your response come from? Not fool proof. It still feels extremely dodgy to me.

daffy

Careful Mike, just because a scenario fits what you experience it doesn't mean the actors are playing fair. In this case I suspect they are capitalising upon reality to give some sort of weight to the idea they may be genuine. All scammers are opportunists - a  real problem with servers is just such an opportunity.

I'll say it again, if what you are experiencing is genuine I'll eat my tail feathers.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Nick

The code that the original "Support" email is describing is part of the two-factor authentication system that MS implemented some time ago. Various other providers have done similar things.

In MS's case it doesn't require an alternate email or a mobile - the code can be sent by voice message to a non-text capable phone (e.g. a landline). See the instructions on this MS Support page.

But FWIW, I'll add my voice to the clamour - that "Support" email does not have the "feel" of a genuine MS email, especially one addressing an absolutely bog standard enquiry, where you'd expect a cut & paste of some off-the-shelf professionally written text, and usually a link to the relevant support web page explaining the practice. On the other hand, you got it by following a link from a failed login. To fake that would require that your machine had already been compromised, I think.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

njee20

Well, a link from a pop up telling him to change his password. I agree that a degree of compromise was required to get that far, but it's not a huge leap of faith.

daffy

Yes, I would strongly suspect that some form of compromise of the computer may already taken place, hence the need to do a thorough up-to-date virus and malware check.

Mike, if you are unsure in any way how to proceed, look for direct assistance from either someone you trust who knows about or professional help. Under no circumstances allow anybody to remotely access your computer, or follow any advice that requires you to reveal any of your passwords to ANYONE.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Dorsetmike

I've run AVG, nowt drastic there, done a system restore, I've abandoned Skype, only used it with one contact recently so no real loss also abandoned onedrive, didn't really need it as well as Dropbox, plus saves £3.99 a month.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

dannyboy

This is probably not relevant, but for the last 3(?) days, my laptop has been giving me the usual installing update, do not turn off your computer message. After what seems an age, the message then comes up that the update can not be installed and the computer is "undoing the changes". This seems to take at least an hour each time.  :veryangry:. I have just done a google check for the update number - KB4013429 - and apparently there is a know fault with the update.  :censored:

Anybody else have an update problem?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

Quote from: Dorsetmike on March 23, 2017, 10:15:34 PM
I've run AVG, nowt drastic there, done a system restore, I've abandoned Skype, only used it with one contact recently so no real loss also abandoned onedrive, didn't really need it as well as Dropbox, plus saves £3.99 a month.

Sounds good Mike. :thumbsup: Here's wishing you troublefree - and cheaper - computing.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

Quote from: escafeld on March 23, 2017, 11:40:12 PM

Just checked my PC and the update successfully installed on 15 March. Sorry

Huh!  :confused1:. At least having googled the problem, I know it's not just me. Is your set up Win 10 x64?

Addit: Having got the additional information from escafeld whilst posting the above, I will have a look - thanks.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations