Helix

Started by Steamie+, February 16, 2017, 06:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamie+

Can any member tell me the point of having a Helix please, you wouldn't see one in the real world would you, i can see that you what to go up or down a level but some of these Helix's are huge, so the question of incline is not relevant is it, i don't know. I just want to know that's all because the price of these things can be a bit expensive i feel.     Happy Modelling.        :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

daveg

A helix allows a change of elevation when often a simple incline would be too steep or occupy too much space.

As an example, Mauritz here on the forum uses this method in his impressive and very large layout.

I dont have the room but would liked to have had a helix to feed from and to a low level fiddle yard.

I'm sure others will give better explanations but hope this helps a bit.

Dave G

Steamie+

Quote from: daveg on February 16, 2017, 06:32:22 AM
A helix allows a change of elevation when often a simple incline would be too steep or occupy too much space.

As an example, Mauritz here on the forum uses this method in his impressive and very large layout.

I dont have the room but would liked to have had a helix to feed from and to a low level fiddle yard.

I'm sure others will give better explanations but hope this helps a bit.

Dave G

Thanks Dave, very much appreciated...      :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bealman

That about sums it up, Dave. Some layouts actually have two scenic levels, a sort of upstairs downstairs arrangement, and a helix will allow travel between the two.

I'm thinking here of Ted Polet's famous 009 layout, though he ingeniously used hidden gradients to gain/lose height, rather than huge helix constructions.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Yes I've never seen a scenic helix, so I don't think anyone labours under the pretence they're prototypical! they're a space efficient way of reaching a lower level for a fiddle yard or alternative scene. I toyed with it, but worried about long trains, gradients and the propensity for stock to be pulled off the inside of the curves.

Steamie+

Quote from: Bealman on February 16, 2017, 07:20:46 AM
That about sums it up, Dave. Some layouts actually have two scenic levels, a sort of upstairs downstairs arrangement, and a helix will allow travel between the two.

I'm thinking here of Ted Polet's famous 009 layout, though he ingeniously used hidden gradients to gain/lose height, rather than huge helix constructions.

Thanks Bealman, have you got a reference for that layout or were i can view it please, it would be very interesting to see.     :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Steamie+

Just seen Ted Polet's layout.....WOW it's amazing, for those who haven't seen it i can fully recommend you do, just put a search in and you will find it in the 009 society website.

Just amazing, i am blown away by it.   

:thankyousign: Bealman.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations