What is this wagon please ?

Started by upnick, September 02, 2012, 11:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnick

Hi  All,   

I picked up this little  wagon  from  Graham  farish   yesterday at the show in  a clear  peco   type box  with no  hint as to what it  is, for the glazing there is a loose piece of  clear  sheet inside although the previous owner could have added it,  could anyone enlighten   me  on  it's  identity   please.

Jerry Howlett

Its a horse box. Other than that others will enlarge on its origins I'm sure.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

upnick

Cheers Jerry   ;)  :thumbsup:   have the birds arrived    :smiley-laughing:

Jerry Howlett

Cheers Nick,
No they are still in transit did you send them on a pidgeon special ? 

Let you know as soon as they land.

upnick

Hi  Jerry,   

They went  Air  mail  on   the 25th  so they should be near  your loft  soon   :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

scotsoft

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on September 02, 2012, 11:48:09 AM
Let you know as soon as they land.

When they do you will be able to start up a guano business  >:D  :smiley-laughing:

cheers John.

Alex

Hi Nick,

Yup, horse box. If you need another one I've got a spare.

Alex :wave:

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: upnick on September 02, 2012, 12:25:35 PM
Hi  Jerry,   

They went  Air  mail  on   the 25th  so they should be near  your loft  soon   :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Hope you gave them clear directions as few folks around here anything other than Italian...... let alone  Pidgin English !

upnick

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on September 02, 2012, 01:23:49 PM
Quote from: upnick on September 02, 2012, 12:25:35 PM
Hi  Jerry,   

Hope you gave them clear directions as few folks around here anything other than Italian...... let alone  Pidgin English !

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

silly moo

I saw some yesterday at a swapmeet, I think it might be early Graham Farish, if the couplings are unsprung. It's rather nice, as it's plain, you could easily change the livery if you wanted to.

Horse boxes usually were attached to passenger trains.

Regards

Veronica

:NGaugeForum:

upnick

Hi  Alex,   

Many thanks for the link  i  think   the previous owner stripped the  wagon  by  the look of it,  i've repainted mine  in  a  mid green  &  fitted  MT    couplers .........still  to  gloss varnish  &  decal yet though.  ;)

SheldonC

Quote from: upnick on September 07, 2012, 10:33:18 PM
Hi  Alex,   

Many thanks for the link  i  think   the previous owner stripped the  wagon  by  the look of it,  i've repainted mine  in  a  mid green  &  fitted  MT    couplers .........still  to  gloss varnish  &  decal yet though.  ;)
I bought one of these some time ago at a swapmeet; it has sprung couplings & the Graham Farish name + "MADE IN ENGLAND" moulded into the Chassis, and the wagon appears never to have borne paint or decals.  My first problem is that I need to know (if possible) what railway's product is it based on, what diagram number was it and what colour should it be to run on my railway based on BR 1948 - 1968?  I'm also building an NGS Mk 1 Horsebox; In his books on BR Parcels & Passenger Rated Stock, David Larkin writes that this should be BR(S) Green or BR(E) Crimson.  In these books, Mr Larkin uses the word "Crimson" where most of us would use "Carmine" or "Carmine Red".  Unfortunately, by the time these vehicles were being built & some BR(S) stock (such as some of the horse boxes) was being painted Green, Carmine/Crimson had been replaced for passenger carrying stock by Maroon on other regions.  Can anyone please confirm my suspicion that, in this case, Mr Larkin has erred and that those Mk 1 horse boxes that weren't painted Green were all painted Maroon?

Bealman

Geez, this a thread woken up!

Good question, though!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

PLD

Quote from: SheldonC on April 04, 2018, 11:52:26 AMMy first problem is that I need to know (if possible) what railway's product is it based on, what diagram number was it
It isn't an exact replica of any prototype, but is closest to a GNR design of c 1920. (should be 2ft longer)

Quote from: SheldonC on April 04, 2018, 11:52:26 AMand what colour should it be to run on my railway based on BR 1948 - 1968?
At the start of that date range - Brown (shade variable from tan to v dark depending when it was last painted). In the middle of that range - unlined Crimson. after c 1960 - charcoal (it would have become firewood!)

Quote from: SheldonC on April 04, 2018, 11:52:26 AMIn his books on BR Parcels & Passenger Rated Stock, David Larkin writes that this should be BR(S) Green or BR(E) Crimson.  In these books, Mr Larkin uses the word "Crimson" where most of us would use "Carmine" or "Carmine Red".
In these books, Mr Larkin CORRECTLY uses the official description "Crimson" where most MODELLERS INCORRECTLY use "Carmine" or "Carmine Red".

Quote from: SheldonC on April 04, 2018, 11:52:26 AMUnfortunately, by the time these vehicles were being built & some BR(S) stock (such as some of the horse boxes) was being painted Green, Carmine/Crimson had been replaced for passenger carrying stock by Maroon on other regions.  Can anyone please confirm my suspicion that, in this case, Mr Larkin has erred and that those Mk 1 horse boxes that weren't painted Green were all painted Maroon?
Nope - in Crimson from new. Some were repainted in Maroon (an odd few even lined) but most were never repainted and remained in crimson...

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations