NPorium messaging (Facebook)

Started by davecttr, October 08, 2017, 11:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davecttr

When I post something for sale on n porium I get replies via comments and messages. This can be confusing. Is there a preferred way of potential buyers expressing interest. Comments is a public response but a message is secret.

Thoughts?

njee20

I think most people will do both - i'd say you don't need to have everything unfolding via the comments (thanks for the money, I'll post these tomorrow etc), but a comment is useful because you know an item is sold.

No right or wrong :)

davecttr

Sorry about these stupid questions

The facebook messaging system is pants. I am already in confusing conversation with one interested person over 2 separate items.

Now I have a half page in my sales notebook for each item and note the times of all comments and messages with notes of what was said, even so juggling even 4 items can be tricky.

Another confusing thing is the for sale section here on the forum. I notice items appearing there but those items can't be found on N'porium. nothing happens here either except some of the items are locked. In fact even looking at an item locks it - confused

Do members of N'porium have to be members of the forum?

I will probably become an adept at this selling malarkey at about the same time as I run out of stuff to sell!

davecttr

I have 82 posts on the forum and have been a member for years!

njee20

Yep, you can post adverts here, they're all locked, so you don't get discussion taking place on the open forum, rather it happens via private message. There is no cross posting between here and the N'porium Facebook page. Entirely separate. You're obviously selling everything via Facebook, so you can entirely ignore the classified pages here.

I'm not sure there is an easy way to keep track of multiple conversation threads, and the seemingly random ordering on Facebook doesn't help. If you find yourself in a situation where (for example) one person sends you a personal message at the same time as someone comments then you just need to choose who you sell to. I wouldn't worry too much, some people will always miss out, and may be grumpy about it.

davecttr

Ah! Now I get it, my mistake was thinking there was a connection between the forum and N'porium

A question about auctions. Can you have a reserve price? There might be some stuff to sell that way as I can't find out what it might be worth and I don't want to sell it for 10p!

I suppose the etiquette is don't have stuff for sale in both places

njee20

Quote from: davecttr on October 09, 2017, 12:37:55 PM
Ah! Now I get it, my mistake was thinking there was a connection between the forum and N'porium

A question about auctions. Can you have a reserve price? There might be some stuff to sell that way as I can't find out what it might be worth and I don't want to sell it for 10p!

I suppose the etiquette is don't have stuff for sale in both places

I think the confusion is compounded because the classified pages here are also called the N'porium (presumably as both were set up by Tank). So when you say "the N'porium" you could either be referring to the classifieds here, or the Facebook page.

Check eBay for sold items to gauge value. As far as I'm aware there's no mechanism on the Facebook page for auctions, so I presume you're now talking about listing things here? I'd go with a higher starting price if you have a specific price in mind, rather than a reserve.

davecttr

Thanks all. I will try listing something here

keithfre

If I click on N'porium on the N Gauge Forum home page it takes me to the Classifieds section of the Forum. I had no idea there was another N'porium on farcebook.

njee20

There is, with significantly more traffic. I agree, mildly confusing.

There's also an N gauge forum Facebook page with some membership crossover, but obviously a totally different membership base!

msr

I've looked at the Facebook page but can't see a section for selling items. Where is it, please? A specific link would be most helpful.

Tank

Here you go:-
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Nporium/

It's a lot busier than the N'porium on here.

davecttr

There is little activity on N'porium here yet there are a lot more members than of the facebook one. Maybe no one wants N gauge anymore. With new prices reaching stratospheric levels it must be putting off newcomers to the scale as the perceived value of 00 stuff is greater, it is bigger!.

Selling on the facebook page is not all that easy. Things went well at first but the problem now is getting the money out of people, or statements of interest by private message which results in requests for more details but no ultimately offer to buy.

Ebay sort of helps in seeing prices but not everything is on there and there is a lot of 'new' stuff at ridiculous prices from retailers. Auction prices can be very low as well but seem to increase as the deadline approaches. A game of chicken I suppose.

Sorry about the rant, I was hoping to dispose of the stuff in a few months but at this rate it will take years.

Tank

Sorry to hear that you found it hard to sell on the Facebook N'porium.  It's certainly very popular for sellers and buyers, with some listings being snapped up in a couple of minutes!  I only wish that the one on here was as popular, or more so.  Obviously members don't like something about it, but I don't know what that is?!

Newportnobby

As a member with one of the, if not the, highest trade count I have to say there's nothing wrong with the forum N'Porium. You'll never find me signing up to Facebook or Fleabay so maybe I'm missing out on some bargains, but I have certainly bought and sold plenty via the forum and all my dealings have been with very pleasant members. Don't change anything! @Tank

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations