Nelevation - an automatic smart fiddle yard

Started by Caz, September 06, 2015, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben A

Hello Mike,

I consider myself a competent modeller, but this is what I would consider precision/model engineering, not modelling.

Leaving aside the computer skills, I doubt there are many modellers on this forum (or in N generally) who would know where or want to obtain custom aluminium extrustions, or be able to mill out the parts to adequate tolerances, or fabricate the gears and worms, or precision cut the endplates and bearings to the required accuracy.

I also think that the really clever bit - apart from making it easy to assemble - is the mechanism for the stopper motor that ensure the selected track lines up automatically.  The used has a remote control with twenty buttons (ten each side) and just a single press causes the chosen track to move automatically into place and line up.

cheers

Ben A.

ScottyStitch

Quote from: MikeDunn on September 07, 2015, 11:47:57 AM
No offence to Allen, but this kind of project is something a competent modeller with computer skills (Arduino / Raspi or similar) could do ...  I look forwards to learning more, as surely there must be more to it  ::)

Really?!

MikeDunn

I repeat
surely there must be more to it
The info so far is rather limited, remember ... unless you're one of 'the few' who have seen it.

Vonzack

I like the sound of this, but I wonder if it's aimed more at home layouts where space is at a premium, or end to end layouts where you would typically use a cassette or sector plate. I'm not sold on it being something to ease operation on a 'roundy roundy' exhibition layout, where you might want to be receiving on one lane and dispatching on another to keep things moving.

I'll be paying a visit though to see what options are available, hopefully there will be a way to extend the lanes so that longer trains can be accommodated.

Cheers, Mark.

ScottyStitch

Can someone at TINGS take some pictures (and video if there is a working example) and post on this thread? I think that would be of great benefit.

Ben A

Quote from: MikeDunn on September 07, 2015, 01:02:37 PM
The info so far is rather limited, remember ... unless you're one of 'the few' who have seen it.

Well, to be fair to Allen he didn't start the thread - I think he was intending the product to be unveiled at TINGS so there would be many who'd seen it.

It's probably my fault for mentioning it before the event... in which case apologies... though I just mentioned a new product, and someone else deduced it was the Nelevator.

cheers

Ben A.

Mustermark

I am planning a roundy-roundy and had included in the plan a two track cassette idea so i could switch trains without assembling the Eurostar or Brighton Belle etc. In that space, this would be a fantastic idea. As it stores so many trains it would make running a variety very easy (e.g. a few each of different eras).

As for this being easy to do DIY... Maybe, being a fairly competent modeller and not scared of electronics and such, maybe I could manage a less precise DIY effort. But would I want to? I model scenery and run trains. There must be a market for this with people who don't want to spend their time building it. And those who can and want to DIY, won't buy one. I am certainly looking forward to seeing it.

My only worry is its height... No data on that yet, but sounds like it would be quite tall. I will have a low layout with only a couple of feet from track to floor. Maybe a short version with only 12 tracks will be an option?

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Thorpe Parva

I am in the planning phase for my next layout & this could be just what I need to solve the fiddle yard problem. I get the impression that no decision has yet been made as to whether the product will actually be produced so the main issue for me would be the potential availability date in addition to the question of cost.

jpendle

Hi Guys,

I think this really exciting, just thinl of the possibilities if he can develop it a little further.

I have a large home layout but I struggled to find enough space for gradients to allow a 20 bogie wagon freight to go up to the higher level smoothly.

How about a Nelevator were the train enters one end and then gets raised to the next level and then exits from the other end, suddenly we could have layouts with multiple levels but no steep gradients or helixes to get the trains up and down.

Course the biggest issue is that I don't think an 11 coach Pendolino will fit :D :D

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Ben A

Hello all,

On Allen's display layout the Nelevator does have different levels, but I think his plan is for this to be a customer option, rather than a standard feature.

The test one he's built would not fit an 11-car Pendolino, but of course the unit can be longer since the extruded aluminium used for the track beds can be cut to any length.  Sagging is not a problem as bracing is incorporated.

I think Allen is determined to make this happen - and has already invested considerably in the product - and his attendance at TINGS is really about showing people what it can do and getting a feel for any additional features/alterations/innovations potential customers might suggest or require before committing to the actual production version.

cheers

Ben A.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Ben A on September 07, 2015, 11:40:04 AM
I emailed Allen with the points about the annoying pop-up banner and he is taking (or getting it taken) down.
Good, much better now !

Just trying to drop some hints* as to how he can best present his stuff, I'm sure he doesnt want peeps to walk away on a first visit - never to return !
As for "scary", you were not supposed to take it so serious, if I had wanted to be cruel , , ,

Now then, this whizzy speedreading 'now you see it now you dont' test of alacrity whatsit flashing past the top of the home page, does it help/add anything ? and I'm sure my old laptop is not the fastest m/c

Shirly a static basic presentation, on the home page of what it is all about with links to more details (when he gets it composed, noted that you think it is not yet a final version/presentation) would be helpful and save us having to mine the site for insight.

* if you dont like them you are free not to read me, or I can just not bother, as in not bother to re-visit a site I dont like with then a prospect of not purchasing something ?

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Only Me on September 08, 2015, 12:15:20 AM
Give the poor chap a couple of days to move forward with all the comments (good and silly!) that have been put across
:thumbsup:

Vonzack

I think it would be a good idea to have some sides on those aluminium track beds in the lift, there would be allot of explaining to do if somebody knocks it when it's fully loaded  :censored:

There's more info on his web site now too.

Cheers, Mark.

Buzzard

Quote from: Only Me on September 08, 2015, 12:55:33 PMI found this on you tube just now maybe makes it a little clearer.

:thankyousign:

From watching this one thing does come to mind.  At 1.34 you see a European style overhead electric with it's pantographs down.  Fine for storage but not for the scenic part of the layout.  If a pantograph could be left up then very fine tolerances would be needed to ensure that it didn't get stuck in the gap at each end.  Perhaps this system may not be useful for OLHE layouts?

Nigel

Zogbert Splod

This is a great concept.  Wish I had enough room to justify getting one. 
I assume that the video was made at an earlier stage though, coz it obviously needs a bit of work doing on the vertical alignment.  That aside, I love techno stuff.  I want one!  Possibly even two!  (where is the 'drooling' smiley when you need it?)

Thanks for posting the vid link.

Regards, Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations