Speeding

Started by bob lawrence, August 19, 2018, 08:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob lawrence

Just been reading about the possibility of introducing lowering the speed at which we could be fined to just 1 mph above the speed limit. I'm pretty sure there are some IAM on this forum and just wondered if, in their opinion, it is really possible to keep within the speed limits. Do they have any 'tips'? How accurate are car speedometers? When I am using my satnav it shows lower than the speedo.

Bealman

ONE mph above the speed limit?!

In my last few visits to the UK, I was sitting on the speed limit on cruise control, but everything.... and I mean everything, was fanging past me at lightspeed!  :confused2:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MJKERR

Quote from: bob lawrence on August 19, 2018, 08:36:36 AM
Just been reading about the possibility of introducing lowering the speed at which we could be fined to just 1 mph above the speed limit.
Source for this article or policy?

The Vehicle Construction Act allows a tolerance on the speedometer reading, and this varies by vehicle type
In my own car the build certificate show 10% at 110 km/h
I know driving at a displayed 30mph roadside detectors have shown anything from 26 mph to 34 mph

It is up to each constabulary to decide what enforcement policy to use
The majority of forces use speed limit plus 10% plus 2 mph, for fixed cameras

Sadly it would be too easy to defend such a case in court if the offence was driving at 31 mph in a 30 mph zone
The case needs to show excessive speeding and it being in the public interest
It would certainly be thrown out in Scotland

njee20

Speedos are a lot more accurate than they used to be, but will still typically over read by 2-5%, they mustn't by law under read, for obvious reasons.

Seems overly draconian and will result in punishing minor lapses of judgement rather than genuine offences.

It also strikes me slightly as internet scaremongering, mind!

Stuart Down Under

Here in New South Wales, there is a very hard line on speeding. The motorway limit is 110kph. I set my cruise control to 112, which the GPS shows is actually 110, and virtually nobody overtakes me. Drivers just don't take the risk.
:(

njee20

It's also worth adding that under current law they can, of course, fine you for being 1mph over the limit. The clue's in the name "limit", although loads of people seem to think that they're untouchable below the mythical 10% +2mph over the limit. They just don't tend to do it because people would appeal for calibration issues and all sorts of other things, and the volumes would be massive.

Bealman

Quote from: Stuart Down Under on August 19, 2018, 09:22:06 AM
Here in New South Wales, there is a very hard line on speeding. The motorway limit is 110kph. I set my cruise control to 112, which the GPS shows is actually 110, and virtually nobody overtakes me. Drivers just don't take the risk.
:(

Exactly. It is so strict I often call NSW a police state.

I still to this day can't understand sitting on the UK motorways on the speed limit, and everything flying past me.

Not a police car in sight anywhere!

Over here they hide in the bushes!!!

PaulCheffus

Hi

I'm pretty sure this came from a comment made by a senior police officer at a conference earlier this year.

For reasons already stated in this thread it isn't going to happen.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Newportnobby

I'm probably going to court disaster here but when working as a salesman (all mouth & motorway) I used to drive on motorways at a steady 80mph and have never received a ticket in more than 400,000 miles. Even these days if you do less than 80 you seem to get in everyone's way!
I still work on the basis the law will give me speed limit + 10% on motorways but strictly adhere to the speed limit for the many 'average speed limits' we have, and don't speed away from the motorway. I believe in the UK any police speed cameras must be visible by the motorist i.e. they're not allowed to hide in bushes for entrapment. It's bad enough they have lots of 'plain clothes' police cars on the M61 ::)
If your cruise control is somehow faulty and you get booked you cannot use the cruise control defect as a defence.
What makes me laugh are the twits who, in an average speed control area, gallop past everyone and then slam their brakes on to go past the cameras. I don't think they've quite grasped the maths :no:

Bealman

Can't wait to drive you to TINGS next year!  :worried:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on August 19, 2018, 10:38:11 AM
Can't wait to drive you to TINGS next year!  :worried:

You drive me round the bend every day, George :P ;)

outofgauge

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 19, 2018, 10:35:19 AM
I'm probably going to court disaster here but when working as a salesman (all mouth & motorway) I used to drive on motorways at a steady 80mph and have never received a ticket in more than 400,000 miles. Even these days if you do less than 80 you seem to get in everyone's way!
I still work on the basis the law will give me speed limit + 10% on motorways but strictly adhere to the speed limit for the many 'average speed limits' we have, and don't speed away from the motorway. I believe in the UK any police speed cameras must be visible by the motorist i.e. they're not allowed to hide in bushes for entrapment. It's bad enough they have lots of 'plain clothes' police cars on the M61 ::)
If your cruise control is somehow faulty and you get booked you cannot use the cruise control defect as a defence.
What makes me laugh are the twits who, in an average speed control area, gallop past everyone and then slam their brakes on to go past the cameras. I don't think they've quite grasped the maths :no:

Like that section outside of Southport Mick -everytime I use it on goes the cruise control at 50mph -and I guarantee at least two cars will blast past after the narrow section at Mere Brow . The girl last week was on her phone as she went blazing past -then I think it dawned on her and the car suddenly developed at 30mph limit causing cars swerving everywhere round her ! The clue is there -AVERAGE !! Mind you I got caught 3 years ago in Wales doing 70mph in a tranny van -my last day for that company too ! Took the escape points course -and the fee that goes with it ! :dunce:
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

port perran

This is always a difficult subject but I'll add my thoughts.
Firstly, I am a retired driver trainer teaching people to drive, teaching on driver awareness courses, driver improvement courses and speed awareness courses (on behalf of the police) and fleet driver training (driver improvement for professional drivers) as well as teaching others to be driving trainers.
My driving qualifications have elapsed but was an IAM member and held the highest driving qualifications available to civilians in ROSPA at Gold level and DIAmond Adv Special Award.
Having said all of that, I am not the perfect driver and neither is anyone else.
Speed limits are a VERY poorly trained and oft misunderstood area.
I frequently took driving offenders out to improve their knowledge and driving ability in twos or threes. As we were driving around I would ask them , at frequent intervals, to tell me the speed limit. I'd usually get this response..."oh it's 30 here, no wait, 40,no - it's national limit - that's 70 right, oh or is it 60 pr even 50".
So, in a short stretch 3 people would disagree totally.
This is all down to people being trained (usually at 17) to pass the test (on roads they would eventually know well) rather than being trained to drive.
Very few drivers, if questioned, can explain with any certainty what the speed limit is at any one time. It is easy (once you know) but people are simply not supplied with the knowledge right at the beginning of their initial driver training.
It's nobodys failt, except maybe the system (but that's a topic for discussion elsewhere). I remember all to well at 17, I didn't care about the rules - I just wanted that pass certificate which allowed me to get on the road.
I can elaborate on the visual identifiers of speed limits but it's easier done verbally rather than in writing but if people want, I'll give it a go.
Finally, the official line is that the limit is the limit. There is no disgretion. But...it is right to conclude that tolerances are allowed (within reason). It would be virtually impossible to implement a zero tolerance level.
Hope that helps, it's not meant to be a lecture but just a statement of the facts as I see them.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

It's not a lecture, buddy, rather a measured and educational reply.  :beers:

However, as I guy who's seriously thinking about coming back and driving next year, nobody has addressed my query!

How come I drive your motorways there at max, yet huge trucks and cars fly past me on what is obviously illegal?

themadhippy

QuoteMind you I got caught 3 years ago in Wales doing 70mph in a tranny van
wonder how many van drivers are aware that the speed limit is reduced to 60 on a dual carriage way not 70 and 50,not 60 on a single carriage way.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations