Suitable Vans for Parcel Trains - Advice Needed

Started by REGP, May 19, 2018, 08:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

I am trying to form an Era 4/5 parcel train and have been led to believe all vehicles for such a train had to be Vacuum fitted

So far I have an ex LMS Stanier Full Brake, an ex GWR Siphon plus a couple of ex SR CCTs  and want to add a few straight forward vans at times.

Am I correct in thinking that both the BR 12ton Fruit Vans and the ex Southern 2+2 Vans were Vacuum fitted and therefore could have been used?

I fact would all Era 4 Brown or Bauxite vans have been vacuum fitted?

Any advice / info gratefully received?

Ray

Newportnobby

@Karhedron is just one of the forum experts who could help.

I tend to throw in BGs (especially Maurice - never did like him) and GUVs along with the Farish Bogie B Southern Luggage vans

REGP

Thanks @Newportnobby 
Mick,  can you give me a bit more info about the "Bogie B Southern luggage Vans" as I don't recognise the description and can't spot them on Farish,s new web site.

Dont worry I just found them, they are Blue and Era 7 so rather out of the period I'm looking at, but thanks all the same. (By the way, is Maurice the only one left?)
Ray

Newportnobby

@REGP

Probably not on the website but you should still be able to track these down.........

374-631 BR (SR) Green

374-630 SR Green

and if you're modelling SR parcels at all then this also...........

374-416 SR green PLV

Personally I don't worry too much about age of stock as all sorts of old stuff hung about in parcels rakes

REGP

Thanks @Newportnobby for the photos, found one for sale on eBay but it's pricey having been weathered by TMC. Kent Garden Railways also seem to have one for sale that's a bit cheaper but I was hoping to utilise some vans I already have, so I'll have think about it.

Ray

Cooper

Just make sure what you run is vacuum braked, and has somewhere for the guard to go. If you're including non steam heat piped vans, then he will need a stove to keep warm no more than 10 axles from the back of the train.

Newportnobby

Quote from: REGP on May 19, 2018, 10:14:07 PM
Thanks @Newportnobby for the photos, found one for sale on eBay but it's pricey having been weathered by TMC. Kent Garden Railways also seem to have one for sale that's a bit cheaper but I was hoping to utilise some vans I already have, so I'll have think about it.

Ray

No problem, Ray. If you change your mind TrackShack have the 374-416 in stock.
Also, check out the GUV 374-130 (maroon) and 374-131 (green)

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: REGP on May 19, 2018, 08:42:40 PM
I am trying to form an Era 4/5 parcel train and have been led to believe all vehicles for such a train had to be Vacuum fitted

So far I have an ex LMS Stanier Full Brake, an ex GWR Siphon plus a couple of ex SR CCTs  and want to add a few straight forward vans at times.

Am I correct in thinking that both the BR 12ton Fruit Vans and the ex Southern 2+2 Vans were Vacuum fitted and therefore could have been used?

I fact would all Era 4 Brown or Bauxite vans have been vacuum fitted?

Any advice / info gratefully received?

Ray

In the 60's any fitted van could be in a make up including short wheelbase fitted vans.  For me I am still waiting for a Hawksworth Full brake in maroon.  But £££ !!!
Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on May 20, 2018, 07:45:05 AM
For me I am still waiting for a Hawksworth Full brake in maroon.  But £££ !!!
Jerry
Start saving now - I'm sure it will still be a while before we actually see them.

I'm also wondering when (if ever) the blue version of the Hawksworth will turn up.

Plus I've never worked out why Dapol have never done a blue version of the Siphon G - plenty of these around well into the 70s.

Newportnobby

Also worth considering, the NGS collaborations with Farish and Dapol such as the:-

Stove R
Thompson Full brakes
Collett K41 Full brake

Trying to find some of these will be like trying to source rocking horse poo, though

d-a-n

I believe Arcadia Models in Shaw (just outside of Oldham) still has a few Southern Bogie B vans on the shelves.

Try them on 01706 882900 if you are still after one at normal money.

Bealman

Awesome thread. Following with great interest, even though I have nothing to contribute.

Learning curve here.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Papyrus

Bob G

Quote from: Bingley Hall on May 20, 2018, 10:00:07 AM
Plus I've never worked out why Dapol have never done a blue version of the Siphon G - plenty of these around well into the 70s.

Wrong version of Siphon G I'm afraid.

The ones that stayed around were mostly inside framed, so smooth sided. Dapol ones are all outside framed.

The Lima Siphon G is actually a good model if you ditch the chassis and fit a Dapol chassis (shortening the ludicrous NEM couplings that spoil the wagon) or fit Dapol Autocoach bogies/Siphon bogies to the Lima chassis.

Bob

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Bingley Hall on May 20, 2018, 10:00:07 AM
Quote from: Jerry Howlett on May 20, 2018, 07:45:05 AM
For me I am still waiting for a Hawksworth Full brake in maroon.  But £££ !!!
Jerry
Start saving now - I'm sure it will still be a while before we actually see them.

I'm also wondering when (if ever) the blue version of the Hawksworth will turn up.

As stated the Dapol version of the Outside framed Siphon G.  I don't think many of them survived beyond the late 50's.  You need to source LIMA Siphons and dapol chassis to make the hybrid,  I think I did a tutorial a few years back as the Dapol Siphon frame comes with Gas cylinders...and the Lima frame wont accept Dapol bogies....   

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations