!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 48529 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #540 on: February 10, 2018, 08:17:31 am »
I have a dozen of the Dapol Gresleys so maybe I should get them out and have a squint :hmmm:

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #541 on: February 10, 2018, 08:23:25 am »
Make sure you use your good eye, buddy  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #542 on: February 11, 2018, 04:04:24 pm »

Another thing that frustrates me with these coaches is that they don't line up properly with one another. Look down a rake and one or two coaches will look to be slightly offset from their neighbours. I assume this is because the couplings aren't attached to the bogies but are separately pivoted. Does anyone else see this problem?

@rogerdB
Firstly if I may address the gap between the coaches. I've put my 8 carmine/cream ones together and there's only approx 4mm between the coach ends. They are straight from the box i.e. no couplings altered. Having had a squint down the rake they are not all in alignment so I see what you mean :hmmm:. See what you think..........

The rake is made up of NC-059C, NC-059D (2 of), NC-060C, NC-060B, NC-060D, 2P-011-251 and 2P-011-351

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #543 on: February 11, 2018, 07:37:52 pm »
The couplings are very reluctant to stay together and I had to use tacky wax to prevent random uncoupling

I have a rake of secondhand Gresleys that drive me mad like this!
I thought it was because the couplings are tired, but it would seem not.
I've been meaning to try some tacky wax....

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #544 on: February 11, 2018, 09:09:51 pm »
I've put my 8 carmine/cream ones together and there's only approx 4mm between the coach ends. They are straight from the box i.e. no couplings altered. Having had a squint down the rake they are not all in alignment so I see what you mean :hmmm:. See what you think..........

Yes, that's pretty much the same as mine. I've tried re-arranging the rake, coaches in a different order, turning round the ones that seem out of line, but always get the same effect. Frustrating. Thanks for doing the test. I wonder if adding a little extra weight to the rear coach would help straighten the line, though perhaps not too kind to the loco...

I have a rake of secondhand Gresleys that drive me mad like this!
I thought it was because the couplings are tired, but it would seem not.
I've been meaning to try some tacky wax....

With the original couplings I don't get a problem. It was when I fitted the short couplings at one end of each coach that they started parting company with one another. I've tacky waxed a 4-coach rake and that has solved the problem, so give it try.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #545 on: February 12, 2018, 11:22:59 pm »
Some small additions to the station forecourt - a telephone box tucked into a corner under the canopy and a couple of passengers. They're visiting a friend who lives near the village. He collects old cars and has come to pick them up with his beautifully restored 1920s Austin taxi.

Not that these additions are visible from the front of the layout, of course! With the camera sitting in the road here's a second view.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #546 on: February 12, 2018, 11:30:17 pm »
Great  pictures! I like the phone booth tucked under the canopy.  :thumbsup:

On a slightly different topic Roger, I notice that the misalignment of the Gresley coaches you mentioned in a previous post is also apparent in the view along NPN's rake of the same.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #547 on: February 13, 2018, 08:53:57 pm »
Great  pictures! I like the phone booth tucked under the canopy.  :thumbsup:

On a slightly different topic Roger, I notice that the misalignment of the Gresley coaches you mentioned in a previous post is also apparent in the view along NPN's rake of the same.

Thanks George. Yes, it was good of NPN to post his picture - it's nice to know it's not just my coaches that behave like that! I wonder if anyone has a solution to the problem.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #548 on: February 13, 2018, 11:21:37 pm »
Looking good there at the station scene, that is a wierd problem with the coaches out of line. It has to be the bogies that are not possibly running free, you could try swapping some bogies around to see what happens and see if you can eliminate the problem.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #549 on: February 14, 2018, 08:29:10 am »
Both my Collett rakes do the same, my guess is that the bogie retaining pin hole in the carriage underframe is not quite central on some mouldings, will have to investigate.   :hmmm:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #550 on: February 14, 2018, 09:09:02 am »
Both my Collett rakes do the same, my guess is that the bogie retaining pin hole in the carriage underframe is not quite central on some mouldings, will have to investigate.   :hmmm:

Drat. Now I've got 14 Colletts to have a look at :doh:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #551 on: February 14, 2018, 10:51:39 am »
Looking good there at the station scene, that is a wierd problem with the coaches out of line. It has to be the bogies that are not possibly running free, you could try swapping some bogies around to see what happens and see if you can eliminate the problem.

Perhaps I should never have mentioned this problem!!!

I don't think it's the bogies that cause it. The coupling isn't mounted on them but on a separately pivoted 'arm' which appears to have a self-centreing spring. So the two can move independently. This pic shows how extreme the difference can be, though this is hardly likely to occur in normal use.

I'm wondering if the spring action not working properly is what is causing the problem. The bogie mounting area must be pretty complicated with the extra difficulty of the power pickups for the light bar and the separate coupling arm.

It is possible to line up the coaches manually and I just ran my Scotsman and six-coach train for a few laps round the layout. The coaches stayed in line for a while, but then slowly drifted out of alignment. Adding the corridor connectors seems to make the problem worse, by the way, but some experimentation may sort that one.

Anyway, today's job is to make some road signs, so hopefully a photo later...

Offline Foster

• Awards
« Reply #552 on: February 14, 2018, 12:24:19 pm »
 My G F coaches used this type of coupler, which also fouled the bogies on the coach. I eventually removed the whole system, and replaced the bogies with ones with the coupler attached. I got shouted at by other N-gaugers, but it solved my problems, and the set lined up and ran nicely.  :)

Roy Low

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #553 on: February 14, 2018, 08:03:49 pm »
My G F coaches used this type of coupler, which also fouled the bogies on the coach. I eventually removed the whole system, and replaced the bogies with ones with the coupler attached. I got shouted at by other N-gaugers, but it solved my problems, and the set lined up and ran nicely.  :)

Roy Low

Roy - I think the problem with the Gresleys would be that the bogies have pickups for light bars. Losing them wouldn't bother me much but might annoy a possible future owner!

Rather than spend too much time worrying about the problem I've been making a couple of road signs. I think we decided much earlier in this thread that the road bridge isn't really that narrow, but I couldn't resist trying to make some signs warning that it is. The posts are pins from the needlework box. It seems they come in various lengths so I chose the longest ones I could find. The actual signs were from an image I found online and scaled down to what I thought was the right size. I printed them on heavy photo paper. Some very careful cutting with a fresh blade in the scalpel followed. With the sign glued to the post I ran some red and black paint round the edges.

The resident who was picking up some friends from the station is heading home with them. Can't see him, though. Perhaps this 1920s taxi is an early prototype self-driving car.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #554 on: February 14, 2018, 08:17:31 pm »
The sign's come out really well Roger. Very professional looking.  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP