Virgin 57's which is the correct color

Started by Snowwolflair, July 01, 2018, 03:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fardap

I found this which may well explain the differences at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_UK_Railways/Colours_list may also help with many other schemes.

RailGooner

Thanks Fardap, as you say this is of very great use far beyond this thread. :beers:

njee20

That is interesting, although of course the 57s were only used on the WCML, and the Virgin 57s predate the VTEC franchise.

crewearpley40

these locos are now at carlisle in drs blue livery

njee20

Not all of them, some went to WCR I recall.

There's still a handful used for rescuing Pendos/Voyagers, so they tend to be spread around the WCML albeit all in DRS blue now. There's nearly always one DRS one at Rugby, and often one at Euston. Lady Penelope still retains the pink 'Thunderbird' nameplates, don't think any of the others do.

crewearpley40

the euston loco has been seen outside willesden shed and i have seen one at preston

57001 is under repair

57006 / 313 - 16 and 57601 are operational

njee20

Fair enough, there were about 15 Thunderbirds when they were using them as service locos though, I think some went to ATW, although have since been replaced by 67s.

But we digress...

crewearpley40

several ideas

1. Responsibility for the Arriva Ytains wales franchise was later devolved to the Welsh Government as a result of the Railways Act 2005 and the Transport (Wales) Act 2006, and it works closely with Arriva Trains Wales to develop the railway network within Wales. This has included the introduction of direct services between North and South Wales.

this will clear up the north wales situation :

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/c57-390.htm

the https://directrailservices.com/virgin-thunderbirds.html will clear this up

virgin  east coast paint scheme may help differentiate colours. i reckon were looking at the lighter red though i would happily go with the points raised about lighting and the contributor pointing colour schemes

Snowwolflair

I think this photo from the Revolution site give the answer.

crewearpley40

i remember seeking the model kinlet wharf and the penelino on that layout -

njee20

We're going in circles here, because either the photo above of the dellner-fitted variant is dire, or there were different batches in different colours.

Certainly I had a dellner-fitted one and I don't recall it being markedly different from either the Voyagers or the 'pretendolino' stock, a fairly bright hue. The one photographed above (which I assume is the one on eBay?) appears to be the wrong colour, much too dark. This either means that some of the dellner-fitted models were a much darker 'blood red' colour, which is wrong for the prototype, or it's a terrible photo.

The latter seems more likely, particularly as that photo from Revolution is of the same model, and their Pendolinos certainly appear (correctly) to use a much more vivid shade of red. Again, mine match my Voyagers and mk3s.

If you're considering a purchase bear in mind the non-dellner-fitted ones are only prototypically accurate for a short period in 2002/3, they were quickly fitted with dellners so they could be used to drag Pendolinos/Voyagers more easily.

Snowwolflair

njee

I think you are correct about a bad batch and then corrected ones.

Intercity

Purists need not read the following (tongue in cheek), for modeling purposes a variation such as this (and to a certain extent applies to the Dapol mismatches) I model them as works repaints whereby a slightly different shade was used, it looks more obvious on our layouts but it did happen in the real world (the dirt covered most of it up eventually)

Snowwolflair

You are the sort of person who upsets the Corporate Image Marketing types who carry around a Pantone color chart at all times.  :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations