advice on buying a drone

Started by Pengi, April 14, 2017, 01:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengi

Want to buy a drone and have no experience of using a drone. What would be the smallest possible drone - with or without video, also needs to be robust as a beginner is likely to crash it often. Any ideas?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Cazadoom

Hi Pengi

I suggest the Hubsan X4 as a beginner indoor and outdoor drone,

its a great little piece of kit, for learning, its less stable than the bigger drones but it teaches you how to fly them and not realy on the built in gimbels, having said that this one is stable too

Depends on what you want to do with the drone?

Cheers

Callum

scotsoft

Lankyman

My advice - Don't. Too easy to invade other people's privacy.

Ron
Ron

scotsoft

Quote from: Lankyman on April 14, 2017, 09:25:20 PM

Ron

But not all quadcopters have cameras fitted plus there are plenty quadcopters that can be flown indoors safely.

Cheers John.

Pengi

Quote from: Lankyman on April 14, 2017, 09:25:20 PM

Ron
You have found me out - want to find out once and for all what is going on in the 'house of sin >:D' up the road  :bounce: :bounce:

P.S. only joking  :P
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

NinOz

Quote from: Pengi on April 14, 2017, 10:53:29 PM
You have found me out - want to find out once and for all what is going on in the 'house of sin >:D' up the road  :bounce: :bounce:

P.S. only joking  :P
A telescope and a tree hide works great for me. :D

As for a multicopter- so many options.  A copter with loiter and return to home options make for good beginners unit but not cheap.
I have three quad-copters but none have video attached, just for trying to fly them.

You can get some cheap micro indoor copters to give it a try before laying out 500 or more on a good outdoor unit.

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

I have two normal helicopters and can't fly either of them  :-[
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

Quote from: Bealman on April 15, 2017, 04:55:21 AM
I have two normal helicopters and can't fly either of them  :-[
Have you tried one at a time!!
:)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bealman

Yes, he said, even more embarrassingly  :P

Steve Brassett

I have a normal helicopter as well.

Flown it twice.

Crashed it twice.

Broke it twice.

Bealman

Railwaygun

So you want an  N gauge drone?

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

broadsword

Quote from: Railwaygun on April 15, 2017, 10:47:06 AM
So you want an  N gauge drone?

If you want one get in touch with the CIA, there were stories
that they were working on drones the size of houseflies

B757-236GT

My advice as a fixed wing and part time quad flyer is to think about it carefully. Indoor ones are fine but they are only any use indoors, they normally have very short ranges and are too affected by the wind. The issue is however with the bigger ones, the BMFA are having real trouble as they can be bought anywhere and people are not aware of the laws involved in flying them. If its your first time i would find a quite field in the middle of no where and just try it there as if it has a camera you are asking for alot of problems flying it in a built up area. Also consider your surroundings as some of the more advanced ones can have ranges up to 3000m away if it has FPV again i think one reason you here the stories about them getting to close to planes.

Also if you put your address on it choose your flying location carefully as there have been cases where they have crashed and caused damage and the owner has been successfully sued for damages to property. There was also a case where  one chap who was flying near Lydd in kent and it crashed into the sea and ended up in a certain nuclear power plant. Needless to say he was up in court pretty quickly. Of course if you take steps to start with about your flying location then this may all be completely moot.

If you take the proper precautions to start with you should be fine. Obviously if you find you like it then i would recommend joining your local flying club and getting BMFA insurance.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations