Layout names

Started by PeteW, March 23, 2017, 05:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteW

As I've started reading more widely around the hobby, I've come across several layout names that made me laugh out loud. Up in Preston, the club is following up its Askham Nowt layout with a new one called Tellem Summit. And just spotted one (a beautiful winter layout in 2mm FS) called Witney Euston - took me a moment or two before the chuckle arrived! Also liked Upson Downs by a club in the correct part of southern England.

What have you got?

Dorsetmike

Nicton Borrud, Ins & Outs, Olpharts Crossing, Upper Loft  -  to be going on with while the memory gets trawled.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Sprintex

Since my layout has a river lock on it I originally considered calling it Bow Locks but thought I might not get invited to exhibitions if I did :D

Paul

Drakken

Wideopen, Oh hang on that's an actual place lol

Zogbert Splod

Mine, when it happens, is gonna be where the Scottish/Welsh border happens (see the thread for the back story), is the North And West Alliance (N&WA). Pronounced Nay Way!

ps: I think the station will have Achterellweit on the name boards.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

broadsword

There is a station in Coatbridge , Lanarkshire  called Sunnyside. Years ago it was
an area of old heavy industry in decline, decrepit works, chimneys belching black
smoke, sunshine in short supply amidst all the pollution.

ColinH

Our club double-sided layout has been named Wyre Moor and Runswell.

We did (and still are) and  it doesn't  :( (at the moment)
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

PeteW

Thanks chaps, but I think ColinH is too modest - Much Puffindun certainly belongs in this thread :D.

In the Small World Dept, I know Wideopen - my wife comes from Gosforth and her parents still live there; have driven through Wideopen a few times while exploring the beauty of Northumberland. And I was once engaged to a girl from Coatbridge (long story, narrow escape!)

Cutter

I've always wanted to build a layout called Troublat with a windmill, so I could say "there's trouble at Mill." (Bad Monty Python reference.)

joe cassidy

Going on holiday to Devon as a kid it always made us laugh when we drove through two Dorset villages, Piddleinton followed by Puddletown.

Best regards,

Joe

PeteW

Actually, Trubblet Mill would be a great name!

ntpntpntp

As a young lad back in the 70s,  I was proud of my little N layout layout I'd built myself.  With its later extension, it was named

Allmiownwerk (change for Newpeace on Ende)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Yet_Another

Never done anything about it, but I've always liked the Isle of Lucy.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Byegad

Quote from: broadsword on March 23, 2017, 08:23:45 PM
There is a station in Coatbridge , Lanarkshire  called Sunnyside. Years ago it was
an area of old heavy industry in decline, decrepit works, chimneys belching black
smoke, sunshine in short supply amidst all the pollution.

And my layout is called Sunnisyde! Not anything to do with the Scottish Station, but a name taken from my Grandparents' house in Commondale North Yorkshire. Many of my happiest days of childhood were spent exploring the very large garden, and now at the other end of my life many happy days are spent in a Sunnisyde again.

Dorsetmike

Quote from: joe cassidy on March 31, 2017, 11:40:01 AM
Going on holiday to Devon as a kid it always made us laugh when we drove through two Dorset villages, Piddleinton followed by Puddletown.

Best regards,

Joe
So you missed Piddletrenthide (translates as thirty hides of land on the river Piddle - Domesday book) The Victorians objected to the name of the River Piddle so renamed it the Trent and changed the Piddle village names to  Puddle, hence Puddletown, Turners Puddle, Affpuddle and Bryants Puddle. Somehow Piddlehinton and Piddletrenthide escaped.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations