Australian GST

Started by Stuart Down Under, July 29, 2018, 06:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Down Under

To all my colleagues living in Australia:
I just received my first package from a well known retailer in Liverpool since the changes to Aussie GST rules. I am delighted report that they are still not charging GST on their sales to Australia. Under the new rules since 1st July this year, any "foreign" business selling more than $75,000 of goods into Australia per year must register and collect GST (same as VAT, but only 10%) on their sales. Hopefully sales to Australia will remain below £75,000 for some time.
:claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:
It has been great coming back to Australia. My purchases from UK are 20% less than when I lived there, because VAT is removed, and on small N-gauge items, the delivery charge is only a couple of pounds more. For instance, I just purchased an "as new" Farish DCC-fitted Jubilee from aforementioned retailer for £69 plus £4.60 delivery. It would have cost over $300 from a local supplier.

Come an join us in railway modeller paradise!
:beers:

Bealman

Good news for sure, Stuart. Thanks for posting!  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Graham

I was keeping quiet  :-X, as I received one last week from a UK retailer with some Zimo decoders and it made it without the GST. Lets hope it continues. :)
Graham

Newportnobby

Quote from: Stuart Down Under on July 29, 2018, 06:46:24 AM

Wot, and risk Bealman turning up on your doorstep?!

:no: ;)

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Watch it. Current plans are to be on yours next year  >:D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: Stuart Down Under on July 29, 2018, 06:46:24 AM
To all my colleagues living in Australia:
I just received my first package from a well known retailer in Liverpool since the changes to Aussie GST rules. I am delighted report that they are still not charging GST on their sales to Australia. Under the new rules since 1st July this year, any "foreign" business selling more than $75,000 of goods into Australia per year must register and collect GST (same as VAT, but only 10%) on their sales. Hopefully sales to Australia will remain below £75,000 for some time.
:claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:
It has been great coming back to Australia. My purchases from UK are 20% less than when I lived there, because VAT is removed, and on small N-gauge items, the delivery charge is only a couple of pounds more. For instance, I just purchased an "as new" Farish DCC-fitted Jubilee from aforementioned retailer for £69 plus £4.60 delivery. It would have cost over $300 from a local supplier.

Excellent - I didn't know about the less than 75,000 squids bit. That is good news.

longbow

Rails and Hattons are probably the only UK model railway retailers that exceed the $75k Aussie sales threshold. They have previously said that they will be adding GST to Aussie orders, so enjoy the respite whilst it lasts. Once they do I'd suggest Model Railways Direct as an alternative GST-free supplier as in my experience they offer good prices on N Gauge (especially in their frequent sales), plus prompt service and reasonable postage rates. Other GST-free supplier suggestions welcome.

Graham

just waiting on a shipment from Rails, so hopefully that one makes it through GST free as well.
cheers
Graham

longbow

There is no provision for GST on small packages to be collected on arrival in Australia, so if the overseas retailer hasn't charged it you won't need to pay it.

NinOz

To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Webbo

I have received an email from Hattons telling me that they will charge the 10% GST. Here in Oz we are subject to the GST on overseas purchases through EBay and Amazon and such electronic clearing houses.

As pointed out already, registration for GST collection is only recommended for companies doing more than $75K in Australian sales. Even then, our government has no real way of enforcing collection from them. In principle, I don't think it is unfair that we pay GST on overseas purchases. My fear is that this GST collection business will morph into a situation in which customs agents will do the collecting on arrival in Australia. Then, with their charges as well we may be liable for a great deal more than the 10% impost.

Webbo

longbow

Hattons are not yet adding GST to Oz orders although I'm sure that will be coming soon.

It has long been recognised that collecting GST on low value imports at the border was not economic. That's why the new scheme relies on the overseas retailer to collect it. The only circumstances in which I can see onshore charges arising would be as a sanction against an online retailer that refuses to collect GST.

Longer term the introduction of electronic customs data exchange will allow much more effective GST collection on imports so enjoy the exemption while it lasts!

Webbo

Hi longbow

According to a notification on their website, Hattons has been charging GST since 1 July:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=313

Of course, their stated intention might not match what is actually happening yet.

Webbo

longbow

Not happening yet it seems. Hattons did not add GST to my three orders since 1 July and as of now it is not being added during checkout.

dannyboy

Sounds like the 'system' has not yet caught up with the 'intention'! Change the subject quick!  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations