I am as new as can be should Imstart with DC or start with DCC Please advise

Started by GordonW, May 25, 2018, 08:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonW

Please advise on wether to make a start with DC or make a start with DCC. I have have nothing at the mome

ThanksmGordon

Train Waiting

Hello Gordon

Welcome to the Forum and the magical world of 'N' gauge model railways.

You might find this very helpful; I know I did!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493

As regards DC or DCC, we each have our preferences.  Locomotives are now available DCC-fitted which makes it much easier than some years ago when one had to fit the decoders.

If you fancy sound-equipped trains, then DCC is probably the answer.

My personal preference is DC but that's probably because I'm ill at ease in the digital world.

I think the best approach for you would be to try out both systems (other modellers/model railway club/friendly local dealer are ways to do this) and see what one suits you.  You'll probably get a 'feel' for your preference straight away.

Whatever approach you choose, you'll get a lot of help on this friendly Forum.

With all best wishes.

John

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Tonye

:hellosign: and Welcome . I would say it depends on your budget and what you are going to produce. Let us know what type of layout your are considering . 
Tony .H

Chris Morris

Oh blimey, this could start an argument. It is a subject with many deeply intrenched views.
Personally I think dcc is a waste of time and money unless you really want nice bright lights on all the time and, perhaps more importantly you want to have locos with sound. There are those who say you get smoother running with dcc but I have yet to see evidence of this. Likewise there are those who say dcc wiring is simpler but I'm not sure it is unless you are building a motive power depot and want to store lots of locos on the same track. I am pretty sure if I was to build an o gauge layout, where onboard loco sound starts to get somewhere near I would use dcc but I have absolutely no desire to use dcc in N. My brother's N  layouts are all dcc but both mine are analogue. We both agree that, for the layouts we have built and what we want from them, we are both using the most appropriate control system.
So you have to think what you want and then decide which is the best control system for your needs.
My videos on why I use analogue:-

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Bramshot

Depends on your layout and the number of trains you might have running simultaneously.  I generally have 4 on the go, 2 on an up line and 2 on a down line in roundy roundly fashion, with some shunting going on to the side. So for me it has to be DCC as I couldn't do that with DC.

Nick

Oh crikey, that's a bit like walking into B&Q and asking an assistant whether you should buy a hammer, a screwdriver or a chisel. What you want to do matters.

Can you give some idea of what your eventual ambitions are? What sort of layout you want?

(It could be worse. You could ask a camera club whether to buy a Nikon or a Canon!!  :D)
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Steven B

There are good arguments for both DC and DCC. However, it really is down to you to make the decision. I'd suggest the following:

Make a list of what you want your layout to do/be. Do you want a small circuit of track with a couple of sidings or something more adventurous? Steam or diesel? Big station or country terminus? Engine shed? How many locos do you think you might end up with?

The best suggestion I can make is to go and play trains with as many control systems as you can. Find a club, model shop or ask nicely at an exhibition. There's a wide range of DC and DCC controllers available. Someone may rave about a particular controller but you may find it impossible to use.

Steven B.

Newportnobby

Hi Gordon, and welcome to the forum :wave:

Both DC and DCC are as complicated as you want to make them so, as has been suggested, make a list of what you want from your layout and see which system ticks the most boxes.
There is always plenty of help here on the forum so don't be afraid to ask anything

Bealman

G'day from Australia, Gordon, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

I'm currently in Japan and am getting a load of Japanese prototype railways as sensory overload, but I agree with all posts above.

Your question is a complex one. If your layout is going to be simple, or budget is tight, then, probably DC is the way to go.

However, as the posts suggest, plan what you want first before deciding on the control system.

Welcome aboard!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

longbow

Taking a broader view - I think the best possible advice when starting out is to build a small and simple layout that you can finish quickly whilst learning the ropes. For this you won't need DCC, so that's one thing less to learn and pay for.

At a later stage if you decide to upgrade to DCC then it's not that difficult although it can be quite expensive.

dannyboy

Hi and welcome to the forum Gordon. I can only echo what has been said above.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Shropshire Lad

As said above it really depends on your layout and how you want to run it. In my case I'm planning to use permissive working on most of my platforms and also in my engine stabling area so DCC is the only choice for me.

RailGooner

Railwaygun

Quote from: longbow on May 25, 2018, 12:46:50 PM
Taking a broader view - I think the best possible advice when starting out is to build a small and simple layout that you can finish quickly whilst learning the ropes. For this you won't need DCC, so that's one thing less to learn and pay for.

At a later stage if you decide to upgrade to DCC then it's not that difficult although it can be quite expensive.

Most modern locos come DCC ready ( ie can be retrofitted with a plug in chip). so a simple DC layout will help you learn what you want in a bigger one.

try local MR shows to see what the layouts and dealers are offering - DCC is not a cheap option ( chips are £20-30 & controllers £100 to £500+!!) but offers sound (although most modern sound locos will produce a limited range of SFX when running under DC) and a greater degree of control over loco speeds/shunting. 

look for shows here:

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

GordonW

Thanks every body for your help and comments. hey are all greatly appreciated.

But I am as  confused as ever, perhaps I should just go-ahead add do it

Gordon

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations