what are you listening to at the moment?

Started by findus, January 20, 2011, 12:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

Nowt wrong with the music Mike just an unexpected style from you, I thought you were more of a Black Sab type.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

Quote from: oldrailbug on August 30, 2012, 09:41:08 PM
Nowt wrong with the music Mike just an unexpected style from you, I thought you were more of a Black Sab type.

I have loads of Sabbath :thumbsup: I like all kinds of music - rock, blues, jazz, folk, classical, chill out, tecno/trance, some reggae but kinda find it hard to find decent music after the 80's :-X
At heart though, it's mainly what was termed prog rock/pomp rock that I get my kicks from :thumbsup:

Donkey

Malc

Spooky Tooth & Tony McPhee. Some great sounds from my formative years. Thanks for reminding me, Mick. I have an old Island sampler with "better by you" on it and the Groundhogs Greatest Hits. Must dig them out
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

longbridge

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on August 30, 2012, 09:57:36 PM
I have an old Island sampler with "better by you" on it

Not by any chance "Nice enough to eat"? There's a cracking Mott the Hoople track called "At the Crossroad" on it IIRC
I have many of those samplers as they were a great way to get different artistes to listen to. :music:
'Bumpers' is a particularly good 'un.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Malc

Quote from: newportnobby on August 31, 2012, 08:08:49 AM

Not by any chance "Nice enough to eat"? There's a cracking Mott the Hoople track called "At the Crossroad" on it IIRC
I have many of those samplers as they were a great way to get different artistes to listen to. :music:
Funnily enough, I have both of them. 21st Century Schizoid Man was a favourite track. I used to buy samplers when available as you got to listen to artists you would never normally hear. 1st Mott the Hoople track on one of those. Blue Horizon did a bluesy one as well.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Dock Shunter

I have that sampler on vinyl too Mick (Blue cover with sweets shaped as letters)
That was the first time i heard Nick Drake....Time has told me.
some great tracks on there....
Gungamai......Quintessence
Blodwyn Pig

Dock Shunter

Quote from: Malc on August 31, 2012, 08:27:06 AM

Funnily enough, I have both of them. 21st Century Schizoid Man was a favourite track. I used to buy samplers when available as you got to listen to artists you would never normally hear. 1st Mott the Hoople track on one of those. Blue Horizon did a bluesy one as well.
Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on August 31, 2012, 08:26:17 AM
Mick Karn - Titles

Just for a bit of fun.......
Theres a connection between Mick Karn (bass player with Japan) and 21st Century Schizoid Man......anyone know what it is...?

scotsoft

Quote from: oldrailbug on August 31, 2012, 05:11:12 AM
Showing my Age  :doh: :doh:
]

One of my favourite tunes when I was a young lad of 5y/o.
My dad was a train driver, it was all steam trains back then and the rail track was at the bottom of our garden so I spent a lot of time waving to the trains as they steamed past  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Dock Shunter on August 31, 2012, 11:59:51 AM
Theres a connection between Mick Karn (bass player with Japan) and 21st Century Schizoid Man......anyone know what it is...?

I can only think of a vague link through the mighty Porcupine Tree.   Japan band mate Richard Barbieri plays keyboards for Porcupine Tree and PT's mainman Steven Wilson has produced the King Crimson remasters.  Sorry, but that's my best guess!

Listening to David Bowie - Rarestonebowie

Tank

Dock Shunter

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on August 31, 2012, 05:28:06 PM
Quote from: Dock Shunter on August 31, 2012, 11:59:51 AM

I can only think of a vague link through the mighty Porcupine Tree.   Japan band mate Richard Barbieri plays keyboards for Porcupine Tree and PT's mainman Steven Wilson has produced the King Crimson remasters.  Sorry, but that's my best guess!

Another Porcupine Tree fan.....good man...... :thumbsup:
That is actually a good conection but not the one i was thinking of.

Mick Karn played bass in Japan with David Sylvian who collaborated on a few albums with Robert Fripp,the guitarist in King Crimson....(check out the album Gone To Earth) :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations