Topic replies

Started by Trainfish, August 11, 2015, 01:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

Does anyone else have the issue where when you click on a link in an email telling you a reply to a topic has been posted it takes you to the page where the topic is but not directly to the new response. It seems to have happened since I loaded Win10 so may be related. The links look ok actually so I'm wondering if it's a cookie issue. Anyone else getting this?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

PLD

Quote from: Trainfish on August 11, 2015, 01:41:53 AM
Does anyone else have the issue where when you click on a link in an email telling you a reply to a topic has been posted it takes you to the page where the topic is but not directly to the new response. It seems to have happened since I loaded Win10 so may be related. The links look ok actually so I'm wondering if it's a cookie issue. Anyone else getting this?
Used to get that happen in Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP... not seen it happen since then...

Bealman

This has been a problem in the past, but not for a while. I'm no computer guru, but it could be something to do with change of operating system, as you suggest.

My wife just bought a Windows 8.1 machine with the option of a 10 upgrade. I think I'll wait a while.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Caz

Quote from: Trainfish on August 11, 2015, 01:41:53 AM

Have you re-installed Java as a lot of those sort of effects are Java driven.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

MikeDunn

Java or JavaScript ?  Lot of difference ...

Caz

Thought that as Javascript is a Microsoft Java rip off it would be installed automatically, can't see MS being nice to Sun Microsystems and including it in Win10 but I stand to be corrected.   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

MikeDunn

???  Java is a full-blown OO language, based on C, written by Sun & now owned by Oracle (and is the main language I use to develop my project in).  Can be used to write applications that are stand-alone (JAR files).

JavaScript is a scripting language for browsers developed by Netscape.  Can only be used within a browser.

Lotsa differences between them !  JS is not a Java rip-off by MS  ::)  That would be .Net  :P  JS is built into browsers, Java (as you say) needs to be downloaded & installed.  Hence my query on which is required  ;)

Newportnobby

I think I see the differences, Mike.

"Java is a full blown 00 language"
"Java script is....developed by Netscape"

Could the problem therefore be a gauge issue? :confused1:

MikeDunn

DELETED

When I joined the forum years ago if you clicked on a link on a new post board it would take you to that posting in the list as-per my experience on any forum.   For a little while for me clicking on any thread posting by E-Mail just automatically took you straight to the most recent post, not the one you replied to so you had to back-track and filter out.  I'm glad to say that on my PC anyway that it's gone back to what I say is the "proper way" over the past few weeks and when I click on a weblink and it takes you to that post in particular -not redirects you to the most recent post regardless and you have to back-track afterwards. I'm not sure it's a browser thing as I use 2 different means to access (a third incl. a family PC).  I always thought it was a forum thing that changed somewhere but maybe not.

Rich

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: newportnobby on August 11, 2015, 10:07:04 PM
I think I see the differences, Mike.

"Java is a full blown 00 language"
"Java script is....developed by Netscape"

Could the problem therefore be a gauge issue? :confused1:

No doubt there will be giant problems ahead then if a computer language beginning with O was to come along! ::)

Yes, OK, TAXI!
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: RST on August 22, 2015, 01:57:47 AM
When I joined the forum years ago if you clicked on a link on a new post board it would take you to that posting in the list as-per my experience on any forum.   For a little while for me clicking on any thread posting by E-Mail just automatically took you straight to the most recent post, not the one you replied to so you had to back-track and filter out.  I'm glad to say that on my PC anyway that it's gone back to what I say is the "proper way" over the past few weeks and when I click on a weblink and it takes you to that post in particular -not redirects you to the most recent post regardless and you have to back-track afterwards. I'm not sure it's a browser thing as I use 2 different means to access (a third incl. a family PC).  I always thought it was a forum thing that changed somewhere but maybe not.

Rich

It's been so long since I have been able to access the site that way that I no longer try. I just get onto the site by entering N Gauge Forum in to my 'search loco' thingy and it gets me there eventually.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations