BT broadband

Started by Agrippa, January 13, 2013, 06:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy

Been a BT Broadband customer for 10 years and have always found the product/service to be excellent.  Waiting for Infinity to become available in my area.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Calnefoxile

Same here, been on BT Broadband since it's inception in my area (which is about 10years), and only ever had one issue when a BT Engineer accidently shorted out mine and a neighbours links in the exchange.

Only gripe I have is with their Customer Service being overseas and the guys having to follow a script and not being allowed to deviate from that script, so when I tell them I'm a Network Engineer and I know what's wrong with my Broadband it throws them completely  ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

P.S. I can't get Infinity at the moment, because I'm directly connected to the local exchange and it would cost them far to much to connect me by fibre. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

GWR-Kris

For me im with Sky Broadband as you get discount off their unlimited package reducing it to £7.50 a month iirc. this is with ADSL. I use to have my phone with BT I found them over priced, bad customer service, and generally dont have clue. Turust me i could write a whole essay over my bad experience with BT. But saying that bet anyone can say the same with Sky.

If im honest I prefer Virgin media, never had a problem with them, and i think i only had to phone their customer service once. If i could i would rather have Virgin Fibre service than BT's but thats my opinion.

Malc

I had an issue with their Service Centre. I had no service and a very nice Indian gentleman tested the line and said the problem was inside my house and it would cost me £70 is they found a fault and they needed access to fix it. I explained that as a Telecomms engineer of some 30 years, i knew the problem was not in the house. He asKed how I knew. I said that there was no volts on the incoming line so the fault was outside my house. Eventually, after 3 weeks it was traced to the block on the pole outside and fixed and I pushed for and got a refund.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Pengi

I have been with BT for two years. Started out on the 10GB plus unlimited calls but was offered an incredibly good deal to upgrade to unlimited broadband last year (for considerably less than the 40GB)

Service is generally good but from time to time when I access my emails it keeps asking me for my password. It is a known issue that they are fixing.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

spurno

switch to O2.absolutely brilliant.been with them three years and have already had one stint of six months half price and more recently one year half price for being a valued customer plus as a bonus british customer service, not somebody reading off a script in India like BT.
Born beside the mighty GWR.

Regards

alan

zwilnik

Quote from: Pengy on January 14, 2013, 05:54:07 PM
I have been with BT for two years. Started out on the 10GB plus unlimited calls but was offered an incredibly good deal to upgrade to unlimited broadband last year (for considerably less than the 40GB)

Service is generally good but from time to time when I access my emails it keeps asking me for my password. It is a known issue that they are fixing.

Never ever use a BT email address. It's BT/Yahoo still and part of their ethos is to sell on all email addresses to their advertisers, so BT email address get a *lot* more spam.

zwilnik

Having said that, I've been pleasantly surprised with my BT Infinity (unlimited), although possibly because I've not had to call customer support for anything yet :) (and I use a separate email system).

tim-pelican

Quote from: Zwilnik on January 14, 2013, 06:34:11 PM
Never ever use a BT email address. It's BT/Yahoo still and part of their ethos is to sell on all email addresses to their advertisers, so BT email address get a *lot* more spam.

I think the first part is probably true regardless of who your provider is.  Do you really want to have to change your email address just because you change who supplies your connectivity?

I don't trust anyone who isn't *me* to run my email, but that may just be me...  >:D

woodbury22uk

Quote from: newportnobby on January 13, 2013, 07:46:17 PM
So is mine, and they told me on the 28th December I was very close to the month's limit.
How useless was that? ::)

The usual message includes a statement that you have used 7Gb of your 10Gb allocation. I used to find that useful. I would surprised if they have stopped doing that. I'm on Infinity now which just keeps getting better as the fibre gets closer and closer to the house each time BT do some digging round here.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Paddy

Just some additional info.  My daughter got an iPad last October (latest model with Retina display) and since then our broadband usage has nearly doubled.  We have checked and she is not accessing large downloads - nothing that would explain this increase.  Spoken to other people with iPads and they report similar WiFi increases so beware.

Paddy
London Midland Region

zwilnik

Quote from: Paddy Coleman on January 15, 2013, 01:15:47 PM
Just some additional info.  My daughter got an iPad last October (latest model with Retina display) and since then our broadband usage has nearly doubled.  We have checked and she is not accessing large downloads - nothing that would explain this increase.  Spoken to other people with iPads and they report similar WiFi increases so beware.

Paddy

Welcome to the 21st century. Once you start doing normal things with the Internet such as watching movies, downloading music and apps etc.  10gb a month doesn't seem that much like 'fair use'. Unfortunately ISPs are still playing catch up with Internet users and the technology using the net.

GrahamB

I made the mistake of buying my daughter an iPod Touch for Christmas. Ignoring the fact that the first one only lasted a week (White screen) and having to quote the sale of goods act before I got a replacement, our download usage has gone through the roof. She's not been downloading music or films, it just seems data hungry - plus I've now developed a real hatred of everything Apple.

What it has done is prompted me to look at my Broadband and phone contract. Being an ex BT employee, I've always been with BT but I'm now making the change to Plusnet - unlimited broadband fir £4.99 per month. Talking to BT I just ended up getting annoyed.
On the first call they just offered the standard 10gb broadband at £13.00 per month.
On the second call it went down to £10:65 per month.
When I called to get my MAC code they offered £8.65 per month.
Now I have an e-mail offering £5.50 per month!

I change to Plusnet next Thursday.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Paddy

Well if she was downloading movies etc. then I would not have an issue.  Anyway, got to the bottom of the problem after analyising the router logs and with help from BT.  My daughters iPad apparently surfs the internet on its own even when not being used (logs showed this).  Solution is to disable WiFi access (option on the iPad) and then the problem goes away.  From what I have been told this is a known "feature" of Apple's iOS 6.

Hope this helps others with similar concerns.

Paddy
London Midland Region

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Paddy Coleman on January 18, 2013, 08:52:56 AMSolution is to disable WiFi access (option on the iPad) and then the problem goes away.  From what I have been told this is a known "feature" of Apple's iOS 6.

I believe a hammer also fixes the problem  :claphappy:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations