Smaller Decals for Dapol Terrier

Started by CarriageShed, May 17, 2017, 12:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarriageShed

I have Dapol's Terrier and plan to renumber it so that it's more accurate for my LSWR/SR Western Division layout.

The 'Southern' name and numbers on the Fox Transfers sheet FRH2400 are too big to fit on the tank sides, so does anyone know of smaller transfers that would fit? Or is this going to be a case of asking Fox to apply the shrink ray to the existing sheet?

CarriageShed

Well, asking Fox Transfers seems to have been a waste of time. Their response to a request to produce a smaller version of FRH2400 was the entirely unhelpful 'Sorry, we do not have anything smaller as a stock item'.

I may have to wait until I can get a laserjet printer (I'm thinking of it), and print my own side tank panel complete with new numbering and lettering, ala Gareth Collier...

Bob Tidbury

Try Steve at RAILTECH TRANSFERS they can prety well do anything Im goint to see if he can do some small GREAT WESTERN transfers for the boiler on my Trojan he will be at D E M U showcase at Burton on Trent at the begining of next month.
Bob Tidbury.

thebrighton

Quote from: CarriageShed on May 19, 2017, 05:01:33 PM

I may have to wait until I can get a laserjet printer (I'm thinking of it), and print my own side tank panel complete with new numbering and lettering, ala Gareth Collier...

I've only ever owned an inkjet printer.

CarriageShed

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on May 19, 2017, 05:34:28 PM
Try Steve at RAILTECH TRANSFERS they can prety well do anything Im goint to see if he can do some small GREAT WESTERN transfers for the boiler on my Trojan he will be at D E M U showcase at Burton on Trent at the begining of next month.
Bob Tidbury.

Hi Bob. Steve will probably remember me with a shudder thanks to the many, many months we spent developing the S&DJR transfers. This is only a one-off though, so it's not like I'd need an entire sheet.

Quote from: thebrighton on May 19, 2017, 08:41:21 PM
I've only ever owned an inkjet printer.

Yours must be better than mine then. The possible move was prompted by my starting the scenics on my layout at last. I bought some Scalescenes papers and wanted to print them so that they'd last without fading any time soon (Laserjet and Games Workshop matt varnish spray, I was thinking). Then I also remembered that you'd printed off your own 'transfers' and started wondering what I might need for that.

CarriageShed

Hmm... This seems to be the right paper. At a guess the clear paper would suit a Maunsell Green loco, once I've removed the old lettering and repainted the panel.

https://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/decal-paper-c553/inkjet-water-slide-decals-c562/inkjet-water-slide-decal-paper-p11228

Dorsetmike

The green might be OK on clear but the yellow will not, I'd suggest the white backed.

Crafty papers are rip off merchants, but unfortunately for us in UK there's not much choice if we only want one or two sheets. I bought 100 sheets from Florida and paid about the same as 10 from Crafty and that included postage. I'll have a hunt and see if I can find where they're hiding and if I find them I can send you a couple. They are for Laser printing.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

CarriageShed

Thanks, Mike, appreciate that. This is another area of modelling that I've not done before so it's going to be a bit experimental. Are they absolutely for laserjet alone?

I'm just about ready to order some parts from N Brass, including their new stovepipe chimney for the Terrier.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations