!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.  (Read 6830 times)

AlexanderJesse and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2018, 05:06:30 pm »
Looks brilliant and I知 sure you値l be pleased.
Mine runs really nicely.
I have 3 Dapol panniers which (to be fair) run ok but not as smoothly as the Farish 64xx.
I知 like you, reluctant to weather locos. I have a friend who痴 done a couple of mine as a favour (and he痴 done them superbly) but he痴 not into doing it commercially I知 afraid.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2018, 05:28:41 pm »
Thanks Martin, and many thanks for all your help and advise along the way  :thumbsup:

I am sure on a bigger layout the Dapols run OK, but not on my very tight oval....a shame as they look fantastic.

I am hugely pleased with the 64xx and autocoach combo, and the Dapol Terrier is just fab, so as this layout nears completion, they will be weathered, but not by me !!

Then on to the next layout. I got a good deal on buying 3 of those Drone cases, so 2 more to fill, then I can do a grown up layout  :D :D

All best wishes
Kevin

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2018, 05:34:44 pm »
Thanks Martin, and many thanks for all your help and advise along the way  :thumbsup:

I am sure on a bigger layout the Dapols run OK, but not on my very tight oval....a shame as they look fantastic.

I am hugely pleased with the 64xx and autocoach combo, and the Dapol Terrier is just fab, so as this layout nears completion, they will be weathered, but not by me !!

Then on to the next layout. I got a good deal on buying 3 of those Drone cases, so 2 more to fill, then I can do a grown up layout  :D :D

All best wishes
Kevin
I知 very interested in building a layout in a case. I知 thinking one of those oblong  quitar cases. I知 really keen to get going.
Just need to find the get up and go to go out to buy the case.
I have a couple of ideas for the layout so......watch this space.
And.....it will fit in with my existing 1960s North Cornwall theme.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2018, 05:58:55 pm »
I知 thinking one of those oblong  quitar cases. I知 really keen to get going.
Avoid anything with sprung loaded plastic catches ,they break if you look at em wrong.stick with the old skool metal flip over type.

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2018, 08:01:02 pm »
 :hellosign:

100% agree with the Mad Hippy there  :thumbsup:

Loving my new loco and autocoach  :laugh:

Back to the allotments though.

OK, whose dumb idea was it to try and model a tiny little row of runner beans on their poles  :hmmm: ................yes it was my idea  :-[

Anyhow, ended up with this (And a mass of tiny sticks and leaves superglued to my fingers, and everything I touched !!! )

All best wishes.... have a fab weekend. :)
Kevin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:02:13 am by Phoenix »

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:24 pm »
I thnk it loks ok and no doubt looks great at normal viewing distance.
The ptoblem is getting the canes thin enough. Very difficult.
Another way to attach the bean plants is a to put PVA on the poles then roll them in green scatter material (probably the very bright green grass effect stuff). Once dry, tiny dots of scarlet paint will give an impression of the flowers.
My Layouts -

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2018, 08:22:57 pm »
Yes, that was the thinnest manageable stuff I could find, and as it is natural stuff, (some kind of reed / grass stuff I got for the pond) looks the part of real bamboo.

Flippin' fiddly to make the pole set up though  :o

And great point... I missed the flowers off  :-[  I have some red acrylic paint, so will add some little dots with a cocktail stick.

Well spotted  :thankyousign:

Will get the magazine off to you Monday

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2018, 08:49:21 am »
Lovely looking loco & autocoach, looks right at home

You could look at TMC for weathering, not sure what they charge for the service, but when you buy a loco from them (I just bought 7MT 70000 Britannia) it is an extra 」30 for weathering

You have given me some great inspiration to try something with this old keyboard flight case I picked up specifically for the purpose of doing a small layout in a suitcase project, to show some of the off plot bits of the PRPS main layout - I am anticipating a rail head of some description, I got one of the guys in my team to bring over a pickling plant kit from the USofA, so that is the main plan at the moment... and I have a LOT of salt wagons (Saxa & Shaka) so it will give them some purpose!

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2018, 08:32:08 pm »
This looks like it's going to be an interesting project.  :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2018, 09:20:10 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Yes, I am very pleased with my new train, and thank you for your suggestion of TMC. They were a company I was looking at, so will be super interested to see how your loco looks.

The other company was Grimy Times. I love the name, and the pics on their website look pretty good.

Has anyone used them ?

Will also look forward to how your case layout progresses. In the Rail Modeller 2018 Special there is an article about a layout in a guitar case. I don't know if you have seen it. I have a spare copy, and would send it to you, but I have already promised it to Martin, as that is what he will be doing.

Back to the allotments I am doing now. Not as straightforward as I thought, as I am modelling them from the back end, but I still want that side to look good.

I did a bit today, to get the greenhouse sorted, and found it easier to do it off site, and will "plant" it later.

When I first made the beans I forgot about the flowers, but luckily Martin spotted that, so now they are added with little dabs of acrylic paint.

The ground for planting the veggies looks like this.....

It is embossed wallpaper from Wilco. I am not sure if it is policy anywhere else, but here in Weymouth they have open rolls of all the textures, and you can just tear off all you want as a sample

I used the same for tunnel lining

Best wishes to all
Kevin
« Last Edit: Today at 02:03:09 am by Phoenix »

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: January 14, 2018, 10:58:22 am »
Great idea with the textured wallpaper, not what Wilco would have had in mind I don't suppose!

Here is a loco I bought from TMC a year ago, they renamed/numbered Sir Nigel Gresley to Bittern for me and their medium weathering level

I haven't used Grimy Times yet, but agree their stuff looks good too, I am going to pluck up the courage to start doing some of my own

I'll post some pics of Britannia in due course!

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #236 on: January 14, 2018, 11:36:57 am »
Lovely. The red 吐lowers on the beans really improve things.
I知 now really keen on my case layout. The hunt will be on for a 2nd hand case of some sort.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:21:03 pm by port perran »
My Layouts -

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2018, 02:13:28 pm »
 :hellosign:

What a great photo Andrew  :D

Many thanks for posting that. It gives me an idea of what medium weathering looks like. I think I will get the Terrier medium weathered, as it will be pulling small goods wagons round the upper level (that is all that will go round  ;) ) and the 64xx light weathered, as it will be pulling the passenger autocoach round "downstairs" and I think would be kept cleaner. Does that sound right ?

Once again love the photo on that great looking viaduct  :thumbsup:

I planted the greenhouse this morning, and thanks Martin for the heads up on the flowers. I also spotted a down pipe to fill the water but was needed so I added that. You can't see it on the photo but it is there .... honest !!!!

The lady with the apron won't be there though I just tacky waxed her there as I like to have a figure handy when detailing anything as it helps me keep things to scale and looking right)

Tomorrow I will put down the furrowed soil, and plant the veggies ..... nothing more today as I am going to a friends Birthday do this afrernoon !!

:beers: :beers: :beers:

PS Will look forward to your case layout Martin. When you buy the case though, the Mad Hippy is right .... make sure the hinges and catches are good...... I know this from my days as roadie for all sorts of peculiar bands  :goggleeyes:

Kind regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:49:19 am by Phoenix »

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2018, 02:22:26 pm »
Thanks kevin, the greenhouse looks brilliant, what did you construct it from ?  has a great patina

Thanks too for the offer of the magazine, very kind - It could well be a while before I get to my case layout though ... my main layout takes up all the time I have alongside all the other domestic stuff!

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2018, 02:50:26 pm »
Hi Andrew,

The greenhouse is from Peedie Models.

https://www.peediemodels.com/proddetail.php?prod=PMPE33021

I have had a lot of stuff from them. The Pub sign and benches, life belts, the dry stone walling, and various detailing odds and sods you can see dotted about here, and more stuff for the Station and Yard yet to come.

His stuff is excellent, and he is a really good guy to give help on the phone  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All best wishes
Kevin

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything