Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tractor37

Hi... Thought I'd add my violence worth. Wasn't planning on changing to n as I was an OO guy for many a moon.
But having given over half of the loft to my better half for her sewing area due to lads wanting separate rooms, I was prevented from having the 20 by 14 area. So I was  left with 14 ft square, so decided that to get th  long trains running I needed to change. And here I am now...
To be honest I now prefer the look o  this size to that of OO...
Jas...  :beers:

guest5536

For me it's a matter of space, there's not a great saving cash wise compared with 00.
One thing I liked a year or two ago was the Z gauge layout in a  briefcase, but that
cost ££££s.

Spoz

Started in N 30 years ago when serving in the Navy; postings all over Australia every couple of years meant that the hobby had to be at least semi portable! - and, given that we lived in a wide variety of houses, easily adaptable to changing space availability.   At that time, N was the smallest (almost) viable scale so it was the natural choice.   Of course in those days, the quality of the product wasn't great and if one wanted to model Australian prototype (as I did) there was no RTR, a small choice of kits, and a lot of scratchbuilding!  Now, with much better quality in all prototypes and a wider range in most, it allows me to indulge my standard guage interests fairly easily and at a reasonable price.  It's now complemeted by  G scale narrow gauge in the garden, but that's another story..........
A non rivet counter in all the scales and prototypes I "model" ......

Black Cloud

I started out in TT but it was already obsolete when I inherited my brother's layout. I realised that I would have to move up a scale to OO or down a scale to N if I wanted to achieve my desire to build a mainline in miniature and N was the obvious choice because you can build a mainline in a smaller space.  Fifty years on and several house moves later and I am finally getting closer to realising the dream!

GreenDiesel

For me, it was totally due to lack of space. My 00 layouts were so crammed with tight curves, etc., they didn't look realistic -- they were either too small or too toy train like. With N, you can not only get more layout in, but the railway looks more believable  with longer trains.

paulprice

I liked the challenge, though now I'm not too sure  :-[

Delboy

I was collecting for OO gauge when some-one I worked with gave me a starter N gauge set. That got me thinking how much more I could get into my space. That and coupled to my realisation that, these days, the detail in N is quite something to behold prompted me to swap my OO items and start with N.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Chris Morris

I did OO for many years then sold the lot and gave up model railways for a few years. I then got into G scale in the garden (which I would recommend ) but found I wanted to have something to ruin the winter. This was in 2012 and by then the new N gauge locos and rolling stock were so well detailed that I fancied having a go at an N gauge project. I now have two N gauge exhibition layouts and still love the garden railway.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

RailGooner

dp247

It seems I pulled the trigger because life just isn't tough enough already... pretty much everything I want to run from the LNER is available in OO gauge in RTR or kit form, so naturally I chose N! The real reason, like so many others is space, as a grad student its always been at a premium and will be for some time to come, and I wanted to run longer prototypical trains on a loop.  :(

Shropshire Lad

Shropshire Lad

I've been toying with an indoor railway for a while ( G Scale outdoors usually) and heard :-) about the Farish sound fitted class 108. Having seen how N gauge had improved since I last looked I took the plunge!

I'm another person that started with Lone Star OOO push-a-long trains bought from Woolworths - I can even remember having the first pack of stock (a green 3F and an open wagon) bought for me in the shop! (think they cost 1/6.....)
Have literally had an OO layout since I was born, starting with a Hornby Dublo R1 0-6-0T and 2 coaches, but had a small N set up from the mid 1970's - UK outline at first, then changed to US outline in the 1980's when I got hooked on their rail systems there whilst on holiday. Certainly easier modelling US outline in N rather than HO for space reasons if nothing else, and have accumulated a lot of stock over there on my many visits to North America.
Currenly have N & OO layouts indoors and a G scale one in the garden.......

Snowwolflair

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations