Ship Deck Games

Started by colpatben, July 08, 2015, 07:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colpatben

I was in Southampton for a couple of days, and in the Hotel was this picture on the wall of the dining room but no one at the hotel knew what the game is called and how it is played.
I have googled '1920s deck games'.  I can find the image on various websites but no description.
Does anyone have a clue to what it is called and how it is played?
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

petercharlesfagg

When I was a boy, only a few years ago, there was a very similar game called "Flip the Kipper".

In the image the frog shapes are suspended from a string that is taut, by flicking the string with a stick or similar the frog shape would appear to hop along the length.

The trick is to get the rhythm consistent and almost every time the string is struck the "frog" will move towards the winning post.

In those more genteel times great pleasure could be enjoyed in simpler pleasures.  If you added alcohol to the mix then things would get really hectic, chaos would ensue, as can be imagined?

..........................................................."..............................................
Later!

I have studied the image more carefully and it appears that the participants are actually holding the strings in which case they cannot be actually playing the game but merely posing for the camera!

In order to play the game correctly the participants would have to be closer to the floor in order to flip the string up and down and thereby move their respective "frogs" along the strings!

That is my interpretation, regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Newportnobby

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on July 08, 2015, 09:31:10 AM
When I was a boy, only a few years ago

Nice try, Peter :hmmm: :)

Your explanation of the 'Flip the Kipper' game, however, at least has a ring of truth and sounds completely plausible.
:thankyousign:

Bealman

I'd say Peter's nailed flipped it  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

joe cassidy

Thank goodness we now have air travel  :) :)

Best regards,

Joe

Newportnobby

Yeah - but it's not so easy to throw yobby passengers overboard :no: >:D

colpatben

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on July 08, 2015, 09:31:10 AM
"Flip the Kipper".

Peter I love it.

First you catch your kipper!

I have studied the image more carefully and it appears that the participants are actually holding the strings in which case they cannot be actually playing the game but merely posing for the camera!

Maybe that is the case as probably they would need to pose for a  picture in the 1920s-30s
I wonder what type of camera would be used by the official cruise photographer (Box Brownie for the ordinary travellers)?

In order to play the game correctly the participants would have to be closer to the floor in order to flip the string up and down and thereby move their respective "frogs" along the strings!

Would 'Ladies who Cruised' crouch down to play this type of game?
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77%