Hornby/Arnold 1934 Brighton Belle

Started by Smit, November 23, 2016, 04:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smit

Hi there,

I just found out that Hornby/Arnold had released the Brighton Belle in 1934 Brown and Umber colours in N gauge. However these now seem to be sold out everywhere. Has anyone come across these recently at a store or online?

Thanks so much for the help.

BobB

The model centre, available on line, GBP200 for the old livery, cheaper for the later blue/grey.

Smit

Thanks for that, but unfortunately they are out of stock and do not seem to expect new stock anytime soon.

njee20

It was a good couple of years ago it came out, and they were being heavily discounted, suggest you start looking second hand.

NeMo

Quote from: njee20 on November 23, 2016, 01:20:46 PM
It was a good couple of years ago it came out, and they were being heavily discounted, suggest you start looking second hand.

Indeed; and if I recall correctly, they were sold directly from Hornby rather than via most retailers, so weren't terribly widely sold even when new, so finding un-sold retail stock is going to be tricky.

Blue-grey ones do seem to come up fairly regularly on Hatton's secondhand site. Certainly seen at least three in the last few months.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Malc

@Smit DaveG and I are currently sorting out the late Peter Charles Fagg's collection of bits and pieces and I believe he has a Brighton Belle. Not sure of the livery, but we will be getting to it tomorrow. Will let you know. One thing I will say is that as Peter never got his layout in a state that he could run trains, it would be as new.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Smit

Thanks for the help guys. I did notice that the blue and greys one are widely available but for some reason the brown and umber ones seem to be quite rare. Let me know if you do come across the 1934 livery as I am trying to model a pre-WW2 era for my layout.

Chetcombe

Quote from: Malc on November 23, 2016, 02:27:13 PM
@Smit DaveG and I are currently sorting out the late Peter Charles Fagg's collection of bits and pieces and I believe he has a Brighton Belle. Not sure of the livery, but we will be getting to it tomorrow. Will let you know. One thing I will say is that as Peter never got his layout in a state that he could run trains, it would be as new.

Off topic, but huge kudos to @Malc for helping sort out the late (and sadly missed) Peter Charles Fagg's collection. Recently I have been trying to sort out a new home for my late father's N Gauge layout and can really appreciate having someone like Malc on hand to make sure others can benefit and value from someone else's work (and investment) - Good on 'yer Malc!!!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

JayM481

Hornby blew out the Blue-Grey livery ones at £99 about two years ago I think. The 1934 livery was more popular and sold out quickly. I don't recall if I got mine from eBay or a dealer as second hand, so they do come up occasionally. Just have to keep looking - good luck.

Malc

@Smit checked Peter's Brighton Belle and it is the later 1969 model. Never been raced or rallied. If you want it, £70.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

BramptonBranch

I recently bought the blue Brighton Belle followed the you tube video for coupling it together (tricky!) but the unpowered trailer car doesn't light up.
I presume its connected ok has it runs in both directions,but wary of pulling it apart in case I make matters worse!
Anyone else had problems and any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers Andy.
You can never have to many Warships!

GrahamB

Gently pull the couplings apart and check the pins. I have that problem sometimes and it takes a couple of goes to get everything to engage.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

TylerB

I have the blue/grey version, and the main reason it has only ever been out the box once is those horrible couplings...

Hornby upset a lot of people when they made this, first advertising it as a full price website only item (which upset the traders), then selling it to traders (which upset those who bought it online at full price) and then later selling it at a massively reduced price (which further upset anyone who'd already bought one).

I don't know if they plan any further N gauge ventures - I doubt it, with their current problems - but if they do I hope they learn from their mistakes on this

Howlin`baz

I believe there is one for sale at John Dutfield Models of Chelmsford.

Try heatherwilkinson@btconnect.com or tel: 01245 494455

Good Luck, it is an excellent model (I couldn`t justify running one - so I bought one anyway!)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations