Scottish Area N Gauge group

Started by scottishlocos, June 22, 2017, 07:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottishlocos

Guys

Can anybody point me in direction of a Scottish area N group?
If there is not one would a few like minded souls want to start one with the possible long term aim of a Scottish N Gauge show!

Kind Regards

Dave

ScottishModeller

Hi Dave,

There isn't a 'Scottish Area Group' as such.

There is a Dumfries and Galloway one though and contact details were in the May/June Newsletter.

Several of the active N Gauge Society members in Scotland are also members of DEMU and/or Scottish Modellers.

We tend to meet up at the exhibitions on our stand where we provide a wide range of demonstrations.

Thanks

Thanks
Phil Holman

tadpole

Talking of shows, don't forget Perth on Saturday.
Two rails good. Three better.

ScottishModeller

Quote from: tadpole on June 22, 2017, 08:49:03 PM
Talking of shows, don't forget Perth on Saturday.
Hi Tadpole,

It's the whole weekend - not just Saturday!

Not forgotten at all...

Over the 2 days there should be either 3 or 4 N Gauge Society members on the Scottish Modellers stand plus 2 of the 2FS guys as well.

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

scottishlocos

Guys

Thanks for the replies is there any chance of setting up a Scottish area group or there just not enough of us to make it happen Dumfries is just too far for me

Regards

Dave

MJKERR

Quote from: scottishlocos on June 22, 2017, 07:38:16 PM
Can anybody point me in direction of a Scottish area N group?
I asked a similar question a few years ago...
Is there a N gauge model rail club in Scotland?

The problem is that most model rail clubs try to cater for all interests, so tend to be generic (O gauge / OO gauge / N gauge)
Then when you do find one, their interest in N gauge might not match your own

You can then turn to forums and internet based groups
There are plenty of them, so you can pick and choose

By "Scottish Area Group", do you mean :
for people in Scotland?
with an interest in Scottish operations?
layouts based on locations in Scotland?

scottishlocos

Mike

I mean a group for people with an interest in N Gauge who live in Scotland you can have any layout set anywhere plan would be possibly meet up to discuss ideas etc longer term aims would be for it to be more like a traditional MRC

With the full aim in time of putting on The Scottish N Gauge show!   

scottishlocos

Guys

Just a quick word about how i got to thinking this I have seen online tiny places having an N gauge show now its just a few like minded individuals with their own layouts in the local town or village hall maybe 3 or 4 layouts but if small towns in Cornwall etc can have an N Gauge show why get a few us get together and have a Scottish show even if it is only a few layouts in small hall.

Dave

MJKERR

Quote from: scottishlocos on June 24, 2017, 01:07:36 PM
I mean a group for people with an interest in N Gauge who live in Scotland you can have any layout set anywhere plan would be possibly meet up to discuss ideas etc longer term aims would be for it to be more like a traditional MRC
Given how central Perth is, I would suggest this as a venue

A (motoring) group I am a member of had their first meeting in Stirling, but the Aberdeen members complained about the distance
The second and third meetings were held in Perth and the attendance vastly increased as a result

scottishlocos

Thanks

I am in Fife so was possibly thinking East Central Scotland if anybody here has an interest rate n getting this going pm no massive commitments needed hoping if we get enough people to arrange a meet up then maybe meet bi-monthly to begin with

Thanks

MJKERR

As an aside
Which Model Rail Club in Scotland is predominantly N gauge?

I have been a member of three now, and they were about 10:70:20 (O : OO : N)

ScottishModeller

Quote from: MJKERR on June 24, 2017, 09:55:17 PM
As an aside
Which Model Rail Club in Scotland is predominantly N gauge?

I have been a member of three now, and they were about 10:70:20 (O : OO : N)
Hi Marcus,

You are correct - there isn't a Scottish club that is predominently N Gauge.

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

ScottishModeller

Hi all,

We had a bit of discussion about this on the Scottinh Modellers stand at Perth Exhibition.

The usaual problem - for Scotland - emerged from the discussion....

Distance and Travelling Distance

This is the same problem I encountered before and the reason that Scottish Modellers exists as a 'Virtual Club' without a clubroom and turning the demonstation stand into a clubroom at the exhibitions.

A quick flick roung the various people in the disussion revealed that we were spread out over the country with as much as 200 miles between the furthest some members!

We also came to the conclusion, that, because we are so spread out, this would explain why none of the clubs have a high member count of N Gauge (or/and 2FS) members.

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

MJKERR

Quote from: ScottishModeller on June 26, 2017, 04:15:10 PMWe also came to the conclusion, that, because we are so spread out, this would explain why none of the clubs have a high member count of N Gauge (or/and 2FS) members
That can't be right
Clubs don't have as many N gauge members due to the distance?

ScottishModeller

Quote from: MJKERR on June 26, 2017, 08:55:05 PM
Quote from: ScottishModeller on June 26, 2017, 04:15:10 PMWe also came to the conclusion, that, because we are so spread out, this would explain why none of the clubs have a high member count of N Gauge (or/and 2FS) members
That can't be right
Clubs don't have as many N gauge members due to the distance?
Yes Marcus,

What I have said is correct.

Because the modellers in N or/and 2FS are so well spread in Scotland, non of the clubs have a high member count of them.

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations