Nasty Trojan doing the rounds

Started by Geoff, December 09, 2015, 01:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I have had a nasty Trojan on my laptop and hopefully I have got shut of it, The name of this Trojan is "Istatic.eshopcomp.com" and it beds into your browser so when you are doing any internet banking or shopping online it saves anything you have done and sends the info back to the thieves who retrieve all your details.

I have to thank Malwarebytes for highlighting the problem not even my antivirus could find it or Advanced System Care 9.

I have had to fully reset my Chrome Browser to get shut of it hopefully that has done the trick, Malwarebytes did delete files from this nasty Trojan.

So if anyone knows if I have not done enough please let me know.

Geoff

MJKERR

Quote from: Geoff on December 09, 2015, 01:14:51 PM
not even my antivirus could find it or Advanced System Care 9
Time to bin them then, as this is quite an old Trojan now
As with most exploits they are contained within the add-ons that are already permitted within the default browser settings

Geoff

Quote from: mjkerr on December 09, 2015, 02:14:26 PM
Quote from: Geoff on December 09, 2015, 01:14:51 PM
not even my antivirus could find it or Advanced System Care 9
Time to bin them then, as this is quite an old Trojan now
As with most exploits they are contained within the add-ons that are already permitted within the default browser settings

Yep that was I was thinking just need to know which Antivirus I have had Norton before and it seemed to cope quite well, and I think Malwarebytes will do instead of the free version of Advanced system care 9 and that is a new update which worryingly did not find this trojan.
Geoff

red_death

Malwarebytes is not a replacement for antivirus software. It is good at removing malware once you have got it, but you really want something else running all the time.

Microsoft Security Essentials is OK if you are running W7 (or Vista), not sure what W8 or W10 come with (if anything).  Failing that something like AVG Free.

Geoff

I have AVG free and it did not find it, no doubt if you have the paid version there are extras never had a problem like this before but I would rather be secure and safe especially when I do internet banking.
Geoff

MikeDunn

Personally I like Avast; think I've only once had an issue, and that was from an auto-update they rolled back PDQ.

Geoff

I tried Avast on my other Laptop and it did not like the new Windows 10 when it first got released so I put both Laptops on free AVG I will have to try something different.
Geoff

MikeDunn

Pretty sure any Win10 issues are long resolved  ;)

Babz

Hello Geoff and Everyone Else, Sorry to hear of your Plight, You are obviously running windows, So go to Microsoft.com and In there search Box put in Malicious Software Removal tool, Download and let it run, If you do the Full scan and I suggest Everybody does, It can take several hours but well worth it for peace of Mind, From what I understand it is updated every 10days so do it frequentley it is free.
Alsothere is Easyviruskilling.com Which is also free and you can download Spyhunter on to your computer. and let it operate.
I have had windows 10 for a while now and Have not had any problems you can check yet again MS website for any issues.
Hope this Helps
Babs

MikeDunn

Hi Babz,

I think the only one with an issue (or the only one saying so, anyway) is Geoff, and it seems he's OK now.  We do have a number of IT professionals in the NGF as well (myself included in that number).

There are quite a few products out there; it's pretty much personal preference these days on what you go for; an example, I used to rate Nortons, but these days I wouldn't touch it if I were paid to  ;)  Others differ  :D

Assuming you have Windows, then the ASR Tool should be an automatic download anyway (unless you've turned off the auto patching functionality).  It's reasonable, but certainly not perfect (no one tool is).  The better defence is one that is in depth, ie several complementary tools and not relying on a single one.

Mike

MJKERR

A few years ago Norton / Symantec Anti Virus was very resource heavy and many people uninstalled it / returned for a refund

AVG Free was a great alternative, however recently has been performing very poorly
It has become easily disabled by the latest infections

My latest laptop came with Windows 8, Microsoft Essentials / McAfee trial
However, after upgrading to Windows 10 all of that disappeared
I immediately installed Norton Internet Security
Oddly out of the box it is not compatable with Windows 10, but after (free) support and about 1 hour it is installed
There is not even any need to schedule scans, they run when the computer is idle

austinbob

I use the paid version of MalwareBytes which has continuous protection as well as a scan function - works very well and flags up dodgy websites and programs.
I also use BT Protect (McAfee) which is free with my Broadband package. That seems to work ok too without any noticeable impact on system speed. I especially like the facility for flagging dodgy web sites.
Operating system is Windows 10
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

red_death

W8 and W10 have MSE (now called Microsoft Defender (but not the same as the old Defender!)) built in by the looks of it.

This website gives some useful background: http://www.av-comparatives.org - Kaspersky and Bitdefender always do well on their rankings.

Cheers, Mike

Malc

I use Norton, and haven't had any of the reported problems with it. Funnily enough, it doesn't like Microsoft Edge. It prefers IE11. Probably because it can't interact properly with Edge.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

austinbob

Quote from: Malc on December 09, 2015, 06:40:28 PM
I use Norton, and haven't had any of the reported problems with it. Funnily enough, it doesn't like Microsoft Edge. It prefers IE11. Probably because it can't interact properly with Edge.
I don't know why but I just don't rate Edge and I've had some problems with it. I'm continuing to use Chrome for the moment.  :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations