Box for storing loaded cassettes

Started by Dorsetmike, November 22, 2016, 02:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

I'm looking for a long shallow box to carry loaded cassettes; length 850mm, width 300mm+  and height about 50 - 60mm; cassettes would be located between vertical spacers either side and the lid would have foam to hold them down.

If all else fails I'll probably have to build one, but even a suitable tray would be a start, can always find/make a lid.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Steven B

Dorsetmike

OK on length and width but way too deep, only need about 50 - 60mm, a coach on track in a cassette is about 40mm, allow for a layer of foam between top of stock and lid, I see they do a tray pack for the 26 litre that may be suitable, I've emailed them for interior dimensions of the trays.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

daffy

Mike, could you use the 26ltr on a two-layer basis? A simple wooden slat divider of ply with lift out cords is what I'm thinking.

If the manufacturers don't get back to you on their tray measurements I have a couple of the 26ltr without trays so can give you the internal dimensions.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Dorsetmike

26 Litre box arrived and suitably doctored, now holds 8 x 29" cassettes at bottom of box, wooden tray resting on slim blocks holding 5 x 31" cassettes and 6 shorter ones 3 x 20", 3x10" and 2x15".

The 29 & 31 inch ones take 4 coaches, + a van and loco or similar length freight; the shorter ones cope with 3 coaches and loco, or push pull set and M7. I'm hoping maybe the shortest could take a loco and a 4 or 6 wheel van, which could be moved onto the running track and then a cassette with a 5+ coach rake and no loco positioned and coupled to the waiting loco.

Need to do some playing testing, still have to finish wiring first though.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

MinZaPint

A pal of mine has been itching to build something for my layout, he's a very keen woodworker so I got him to knock this up for me.

It'll take 12 cassettes on each side and will store under the edge of the larger board. I'm going to fit curtains to keep the dust out, just got to trim the cassettes and load the stock! Well pleased  :thumbsup: guess I'll have to buy him a few  :beers:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Dorsetmike

Added the foam to hold stock in place on the cassettes (says he hopefully!) This is what Maunsells look like under foam, the plastic is not completely clear hence the foggy view!

Plenty of foam left if that doesn't hold stock firm enough.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

daffy

Looks good Mike. :thumbsup:

Just one warning on the boxes - I've never had an issue with the body of the boxes themselves (we have about twenty big ones of various sizes and half a dozen small ones) but the corners of the lids have cracked on a couple that were mishandled when lifting them into the loft last year.

As the boxes are plastic I would also recommend silica gel packs inside somewhere to counteract any unwanted moisture, remembering to dry the packs out every now and then.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations