Star Trek

Started by Newportnobby, November 17, 2016, 12:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Have we any other Trekkies out there? I'm a huge Deep Space 9 (DS9) fan and have just bought the boxed set of the entire journey which is 47 discs and over 127 hours of viewing on the basis Christmas TV will be its usual  :poop:
This from another thread............

Quote from: georgehgv on November 17, 2016, 06:47:01 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on October 14, 2016, 09:38:23 PM
Quote from: captainelectra on October 14, 2016, 08:35:54 PM
once I've cleared out all of my old 80s computers and Star Trek stuff from the garage.

If anyone wants some Spectrum, Amstrad, Amiga, ST or C64 hardware or software, let me know....

If you've got Major Kira from DS9 in your garage please send her to me :heart2:

Are you sure you are up to that NN ? :-)

@georgehgv
Oh Yes ;)

Stuart7358

Well I wouldn't say I was a Trekkie as I was not a fan of TNG, but certainly enjoy all the other incarnations shown. Been enjoying DS9 again on free view lately, it certainly was one of the best of the lot. 127 hours of DS9 would certainly improve my Christmas tv!
Stuart

Stevie DC

I was hooked on reruns of the original series when I was little which then progressed onto the movies (I'm even old enough to remember watching ST5 in the cinema when it was released!). Later I got into TNG and DS9 but was a little lukewarm with Voyager and lost interest in Enterprise (became a Battlestar Galactica fan then), although I've recently watched a couple of episodes from season four which seem to show improvement.

I've recently been rewatching TNG on Netflix and have even managed to introduce SWMBO to this. I put on the pilot episode of DS9 on yesterday to which SWMBO said that she was sure she wouldn't enjoy it as Patrick Stewart (or any of the next generation cast) wouldn't be in it - I keep quiet about who guest starred in that episode (which was quite funny when she realised) and I've not told her Worf will join the crew either!

The new movies have been ok and I really enjoyed Star Trek Beyond. Also I'm looking forward to watching Star Trek Discovery when it comes out but the Wrath of Khan is still the best Star Trek movie/episode in my opinion!

I also got hooked on some of the fan episodes, New Voyages, Starship Exeter and Star Trek Continues are all favourites of mine!

Karhedron

TNG and DS9 were my favourite series of Trek on TV. I think DS9 had the best overall ensemble cast as well as such fantastic anti-heroes as Garak and Weyoun. The DS9 writers went on to do the Battlestar Galactica reboot which is another TV gem.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Newportnobby

I never really got on with Voyagers as, despite some interesting characters like the holographic doctor and Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine ( :heart2:), Janeway always sounded like she'd been at the helium before speaking.
DS9 just had so many races on the station, most of them with their own agenda, it just seemed so much more 'possible'

Stevie DC

Quote from: Karhedron on November 17, 2016, 02:16:20 PMThe DS9 writers went on to do the Battlestar Galactica reboot which is another TV gem.

The rebooted Battlestar Galactica (BSG) was a great series (possibly the best sci-fi series ever written) and I understand that this was where Ronald D Moore wanted to take DS9, Voyager and Enterprise - I think that we would have ended up with a very different look to Star Trek if he had gotten his way, although later DS9 and some Voyager episodes did seem to reflect some of his later style.

Janeway seemed to suffer from being an inconsistent character. Nothing to do with Kate Mulgrew who played her (who I thought was great considering what she had to work with), just that the character seemed to suffer from being changed at the writer's whims. The Doctor was one of the best characters who seemed in his element when bouncing off himself (i.e. when Robert Picardo was playing multiple roles and in his DS9 crossover) and seemed to be an even grouchier version of Dr McCoy.

johnlambert

I'm currently on a bit of a DS9 kick.  I think it took a couple of seasons to find its feet but I've just watched all of Series 3 (over a few weeks, not all in one go) and I've started on Series 4.  I've seen most of the episodes before but I find it easier to follow when I can watch an episode per day rather than one a week.

I do think DS9 has the best characters of any of the Star Trek series.

The new BSG was great too, certainly didn't expect it to end the way it did.

Karhedron

Quote from: johnlambert on November 17, 2016, 03:37:50 PM
The new BSG was great too, certainly didn't expect it to end the way it did.

It's funny, after the end of DS9, I actually rather expected that BSG would end the way it did (in tone, if not in detail).
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Railwaygun

DS9  Brokevthe Star Trek mould with characters who made mistakes, went to and from the dark side of life ( Cisco ", Garak and the assassination of the Romulus ambassador (  "In the pale moonlight" ) - one of the best episodes.

This is good site for analysis of the Curse of Roddenbury ,  and how ds9. Escapes it!

https://medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-deep-space-nine-in-82-5-hours-10acde591fd2#.cmqznmje7

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Railwaygun

this is an excellent episode DS9 review site

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ds9.htm

i have a well used boxed set and a PC copy as well for convenience!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Neonoodle

I'll stick my hand up for this one.

Started Watching TNG when it first hit the TV with my mum, Rather enjoyed TNG and love DS9, don't mine VOY. wasnt fussed on Enterprise and only watch TOS now and then.

Love all of the films, have Films and TNG and DS9 on box set and making my way through DS9 as its on Netflix, just onto season 4. As a teenager i was mad on it, built the model kits, walls covered in posters and postcards, i even still have ST:TNG unity on CD-ROM for the PC! Played all the games, had the trading cards, the wall clock etc, come to think about it i had a lot of stuff, even the fact files that came out, think it ended up with 8 binders lol.

Neil

javlinfaw7

I am a fan of all series except  Enterprise .my favourite is DS9 ,I really like the animated series ,though the animation is not the best the story lines are goob

Paul B

Quote from: Atso on November 17, 2016, 01:12:07 PM(I'm even old enough to remember watching ST5 in the cinema when it was released!).

ST5? - I remember when my (older) brother and I went to see Star Trek The Motion Picture the week it was released at a cinema in Leicester Square in London! (Ye Gods I feel old now!  :( )
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

Paul B

I have to admit to being a big fan of anything and everything Start Trek - I was born in 1961 so I don't think that I watched the original series when it was first on, but I watched it whenever it was repeated. Thoroughly enjoyed TNG but I would agree that DS9 was my favourite series. I felt that, because it was based on a space station, it was well written, as it wasn't just a case of finding another alien planet with a new peril to thwart like TOS and TNG! It gave the characters a chance to grow each episode, as did the plots. I also happen to enjoy the big space battles (like Start Wars) and so, when DS9 was involved in the Dominion wars, I thoroughly enjoyed those episodes, even though you had to watch each episode in order to keep up with the storyline.

Yes I found Voyager a little bit slow-going in places, and the characters never seemed to get the chance to grow like those in DS9 - but I still watched it! (but it may say something that I don't watch the re-runs as much as I do those of DS9!)I even enjoyed Enterprise which in its own way was very good, and I wish they hadn't ended it rather abruptly.

I have heard some bits about Star Trek Discover and, as long as it is on a channel that I can get without paying anything extra for, then of course I will watch it - can't wait!

As for Battlestar Galactica - well I also went to see the original movie of that at the cinema too, but I wasn't as fond of that as Star Trek, so never really got into it that much. So, when the reboot series came out, I didn't watch it much, and so never really got into that either.
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

Bealman

Live long and prosper, trek dudes  8)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations