Stock Storage boxes?

Started by paulprice, March 08, 2015, 07:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Marshall

Quote from: Graham Walters on June 18, 2015, 10:04:16 PM
Quote from: R Marshall on June 16, 2015, 08:06:28 PM
I use these boxes sold as "large organiser" by Wilkinsons @ £3.95.

Here's one with Farish wagons - the dividers are removable - I use others for coaches and one for engines.

[smg id=26014 type=preview align=center caption="DSC 0002"]

Noooo !! Not Bubble wrap, it's probably the worst thing for long term storage of rolling stock. better to take the time and line the tray with some  thin foam which you can get in the Range, it comes in A3 sheets and is quite cheap.

Graham,

Thanks for the advice - but why - it's soft and doesn't seem to mark the paint - love to understand the issue?

Regards,

Roy

pesky badger

Quote from: Railwaygun on June 16, 2015, 05:44:08 PM
JB will be at Wallingford this Saturday

Erm, make that Sunday  ;)

DesertHound

Hi Roy

I like your idea of using hose little organiser boxes - very nifty.

Unfortunately (or fortunately if it stops your models getting marked), I'd go along with Graham on this one re bubble wrap. It seems to be the common wisdom that it's not a good idea to use it. It seems ok for things such as postage packing and the like, but longer term, the jury seems to conclude it could mark your models.

I'm no expert, but I think it's something to do with the bubble wrap plastic marking the paintwork / leaving some kind of mark.

I've experienced this first hand with furniture when moving from Bahrain to UAE. The movers decided to wrap some furniture items in bubble wrap. Little did I know at the time! My furniture arrived complete with lovely bubble wrap markings imprinted in the lacquer. How nice!

I'm not 100% re model trains, but I've been advised against it by many and I'd rather not find out.

Foam seems a good bet.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Hailstone

Be careful of ordinary foam for long term storage, as like peco underlay it will not only disintegrate, but will stick to the vehicles laid in it - I found this out using foam in my fishing float boxes - for my locos I now use Parkwood arts boxes which use closed cell foam which does not degrade (usual disclaimer) I use ordinary foam for stock but move them around on a regular basis - hope this helps.

Regards,

Alex

Graham Walters

Quote from: R Marshall on June 19, 2015, 10:50:36 AM
Quote from: Graham Walters on June 18, 2015, 10:04:16 PM
Quote from: R Marshall on June 16, 2015, 08:06:28 PM
I use these boxes sold as "large organiser" by Wilkinsons @ £3.95.

Here's one with Farish wagons - the dividers are removable - I use others for coaches and one for engines.

[smg id=26014 type=preview align=center caption="DSC 0002"]

Noooo !! Not Bubble wrap, it's probably the worst thing for long term storage of rolling stock. better to take the time and line the tray with some  thin foam which you can get in the Range, it comes in A3 sheets and is quite cheap.

Graham,

Thanks for the advice - but why - it's soft and doesn't seem to mark the paint - love to understand the issue?

Regards,

Roy

Bubble wrap is quite abrasive, it also contains chemicals and acids that will with time harm the paintwork. Plastic is quite soft and will scratch easily. It's a bit like some tissue paper, it looks harmless but has hidden acids and chemicals.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

R Marshall

Well after those warnings (for which, many thanks), I bought some green baize (the sort of cloth used on snooker tables) and cut it into pieces to wrap the stock inside the boxes.

It generates a bit of debris in the cutting and I think I'll need to dust the stock with a paintbrush when I get it out, but better that than the paint being spoiled.

For the moment, I've left the bubble wrap around the outside of the cloth as extra packing and I'll watch for any marks showing up on the cloth.

paulprice

Good advise, I need to finish my boxes off this week, I need to get some more glue though, that's if the Domestic Overlord will let me have some after my little recent accident.....

paulprice

Not a lot of progress but I now have 4 of the trays built, painted and ready for lining with foam. The problem is I have far too much stock so I will need more.... :( :( :( :(

AimsburyJunction

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to build an exhibition layout next year, and I was just wondering what methods people use to transport their stock?

Forgive me for a seemingly daft question but I've seen all kinds of boxes etc that people use to get their stock to and from exhibitions safely.

I would have thought that boxing up each individual item of rolling stock would have been a little obsessive, so what methods do you lot use? Do you transport the rolling stock in rakes or other forms of groups? Or do you devise your train formations at the exhibition?

Sorry for a stupid question, but I thought I might ask before making my entrance into the ruthless and unforgiving land of exhibitions!

Thanks

Alex
Click the link to go to the construction of my new layout, Applebridge Junciton:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36376.msg427915#msg427915

Set in early 1960s BR Western Region, I hope to recreate a fictional slice of the English Countryside.

Malc

The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

austinbob

Quote from: Malc on December 05, 2016, 12:23:07 PM
Personally, I use these. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/JBs-Model-World?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
If you contact Jon of JBs model world he also does cases with handles which will store 2 layers of stock (a bit larger than A4 size). I think they were £25 last time I bought one.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Calnefoxile

Quote from: ApplebridgeJunction on December 04, 2016, 06:26:15 PM
Sorry for a stupid question, but I thought I might ask before making my entrance into the ruthless and unforgiving land of exhibitions!

Thanks

Alex

Right let's deal with this one first, on this Forum there is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer.  ;) ;)

Now onto the others:

Quote from: ApplebridgeJunction on December 04, 2016, 06:26:15 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to build an exhibition layout next year, and I was just wondering what methods people use to transport their stock?

Forgive me for a seemingly daft question but I've seen all kinds of boxes etc that people use to get their stock to and from exhibitions safely.

I would have thought that boxing up each individual item of rolling stock would have been a little obsessive, so what methods do you lot use? Do you transport the rolling stock in rakes or other forms of groups? Or do you devise your train formations at the exhibition?

The choice is yours, it'll all depend on what you use to carry your stock, for the boxes I use (See post 15 on Page 2) I try to put my stock in approximate rakes, but things will always change at exhibitions. I also try and put all of one type of stock, i.e. Freight, Coaches etc. in separate boxes and then I have one box with longitudinal slots for my HST sets.

I would definitely recommend that you try and get your stock out of the boxes they came in, before you go to exhibitions, otherwise you'll spend 1-2 hours putting the layout up and then another 1-2 hours getting all the stock out of the boxes and onto the layout, and vice versa at the end of the show with the added fun of matching the stock to the box  :worried: :worried:

Just my thoughts.

Regards

Neal.

Dorsetmike

For my cassette storage box I used foam from this supplier

https://www.efoam.co.uk/foamsheets.php

I got the soft 1/4"  30"x39" and a can of foam spray adhesive, one sheet cost £7.77, next 2 sheets cost another £1.07 each, as delivery is "free" I assume that the delivery cost is "built in" to the cost of first sheet.

They also do closed cell down to 3mm thin. They take PayPal and delivery was quick.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

RD75

I found that this place is good for sheet foam.

njee20

Welcome to the forum.

Nearly 3 years after the last post I suspect most people have a source, but thanks nonetheless!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations