GMail marking forum notifications as Spam

Started by Karhedron, March 24, 2015, 02:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karhedron

GMail has started marking my notifications from the forum as spam. I have added the forum email address to my list of contacts but it is continuing to do so. According to Google's notes:

QuoteGmail will deliver messages from members of your Contacts list to your inbox, unless we know with high confidence that they are spam.

This implies Google feels very strongly that NGF emails are spam. :( I don't know if there is anything that can be done at the site end to correct this. I will create a filter if I have to in order to get around this but I wanted to flag the issue up in case it is affecting other GMail users. It has only started doing this in the last few hours.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

scotsoft

I use gmail and I am not experiencing the problem you are  :hmmm:

Have you highlighted the notifications in your spam folder then clicked on the "Not Spam" button?

I realise you may already have tried this but I am at a loss to think of anything else to try.

cheers John.

Webbo

I'm gmail too and no such problems for me - touch wood.

Gmail does send other incoming emails to my spam folder from time to time without any apparent rhyme or reason. Hopefully, your problem with NGF notifications will disappear just as suddenly as it appeared.

GrahamB

I've just checked my spam folder and I'm not having any problems.

It does crop up occasionally but I just mark them as "not spam" and the problem goes away.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Tank

When the forum had trouble on Sunday night I received 'message sending failure' from about 1000 emails for the whole night and Monday.  For some reason we were blacklisted from a lot of servers after the forum went down.  The failure notices have more or less stopped now, but I suspect we'll still be blacklisted on some servers for a while. :thumbsdown:

Karhedron

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Glad to hear that this problem is not affecting others. I will keep marking emails at "Not Spam" until Google takes the hint.  :computerangry:
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Tank

I had that problem with hotmail in the past.  To get out of it what I did was to create a 'rule' where anything with ngaugeforum.co.uk was automatically sent to my inbox.  This should overrule Gmails settings.

Good luck!  :)

CarriageShed

Quote from: Tank on March 25, 2015, 10:11:30 AM
I had that problem with hotmail in the past.  To get out of it what I did was to create a 'rule' where anything with ngaugeforum.co.uk was automatically sent to my inbox.  This should overrule Gmails settings.

Good luck!  :)

I use hotmail right now, and already have a rule that moves NGF notifications to a separate folder. That doesn't seem to be helping though.

Webbo

About a week ago I too stopped receiving notifications in my Gmail inbox straight out of the blue. Sure enough they had been sent straight to my spam folder.

The solution recommended by Gmail is to put the notification email address into your contacts list. This address is : Contact@ngaugeforum.co.uk

Seems to have fixed the problem for me - touch wood.

Webbo

CarriageShed

I've noticed that only some threads that I've selected to be informed about have been sending notifications. Others that I've subscribed to haven't been sending notifications at all.

A fix for this is to click on '(un)notify' and then reselect to be emailed about new posts on that thread. It seems to fix the problem for that thread alone.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations