N Gauge Now

Started by Northern Git, November 24, 2013, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarriageShed

Quote from: Dr Al on July 02, 2015, 10:00:49 AM
Yes, there was recycled content from NSpirations as far as I could see. Less so now, presumably as he's exhausted what's available to recycle.

I saw that too, along with the absence of a credit for these items. I wonder if the level of contributions has dropped off recently. Are people less confident about sending in something that would meet the editor's stringent requirements for providing modelling education?

N Gauge Now has also put out a request for articles, but my own positive response to this hasn't met with a reply. For now (or should that be 'for NOW'?) I guess their small but capable team will also be writing most of the material for that mag.

Dr Al

Quote from: Pete33 on July 02, 2015, 11:08:27 AM
Are people less confident about sending in something that would meet the editor's stringent requirements for providing modelling education?

I wouldn't - mainly because I do more steam modelling than diesel electric, and knowing his bias what's the point?

It irritated me also that he had a pop at Bachmann in reply to a letter about one of the new Duchesses (the double lined BR maroon version) in a recent journal, concurring with the letter that the livery was wrong - it is not wrong (as has been discussed on this and other forums) and if he'd done proper research he'd know that. Peddling inaccurate info just plain irritates me.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

JimF

Sad that this discussion has gone from being about N Gauge Now, and my question as to whether a second N gauge only publication will be viable, to a 'let's bash Grahame Hedges, the NGS Journal, and the even the Society itself.

If so many are so anti Mr. hedges, and the Journal, perhaps a new thread should be started, for the purpose of airing your grievances? Everyone could drag out their soapboxes.

With all you detractors so sure of what is wrong with him, and the Journal, why not get at the Society and  take over the editorship yourself? I 'sure' you all could do a much better job, you are already implying it.

From the 1st issue under his editorship, there has been a box on one of the first few pages of each edition, naming and giving a Thank You to each contributor. So even if the name does not happen to appear with the article itself (most do), it is still there.

For those of us unfortunate to have not acquired copies of N'Spirations, having some of the articles in the Journal is a plus.

I will repeat, I am not a big fan of Grahame Hedges, mainly because of his biases.  However, I am much more less of a fan of those who belittle what others do, voluntarily and sometimes thanklessly, yet do not step forward to do it themselves.

Jim F

Dr Al

Quote from: JimF on July 02, 2015, 12:56:45 PM
I will repeat, I am not a big fan of Grahame Hedges, mainly because of his biases.  However, I am much more less of a fan of those who belittle what others do, voluntarily and sometimes thanklessly, yet do not step forward to do it themselves.

This is a fair point, however as a *paying customer* of the NGS (of which the Journal is a big part), I think voicing one's opinion in this way is perfectly reasonable.

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

scotsoft

Quote from: Dr Al on July 02, 2015, 01:01:44 PM

This is a fair point, however as a *paying customer* of the NGS (of which the Journal is a big part), I think voicing one's opinion in this way is perfectly reasonable.

Cheers,
Alan

Not when it means highjacking anothers thread  :NGF:

JimF

Quote from: Dr Al on July 02, 2015, 01:01:44 PM

Cheers,
Alan

As can any other "paying customer" (and I think of it as being a member, not a customer), you have the right to take your concerns, issues and opinions direct to the Society. To complain and bash someone on a public forum is just the old "I've got a soapbox, and I'm gonna use it" thing.

Jim F

NeMo

Sad that this discussion has gone from being about N Gauge Now, and my question as to whether a second N gauge only publication will be viable, to a 'let's bash Grahame Hedges, the NGS Journal, and the even the Society itself.

One problem for me is that until I buy a copy of N Gauge Now, I don't really know what it's like. It's a shame that there isn't a PDF available of at least part of an issue. They seem to have some low-res JPEGs there, but not enough for me to sample an article and decide if it appeals to me.

Perhaps what's happening here is a discussion of the two options for N gauge modellers in the UK. On the one hand there's the NGS Journal, which under a new editor has been strengthened in some ways, but not without ruffling a few feathers in the process. It's hard to talk about the NGS Journal without talking about Grahame precisely because he invests so much of himself in each issue.

But on the other hand there's N Gauge Now, which for me at least is an unknown quantity, and the website at least is far portrays a from convincing impression. So could someone who does read N Gauge Now perhaps describe its strengths, its style, how long/deep the articles are, who it's aimed at in terms of modelling skills, modelling era, etc.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Dr Al

Quote from: NeMo on July 02, 2015, 02:43:26 PM
But on the other hand there's N Gauge Now, which for me at least is an unknown quantity, and the website at least is far portrays a from convincing impression. So could someone who does read N Gauge Now perhaps describe its strengths, its style, how long/deep the articles are, who it's aimed at in terms of modelling skills, modelling era, etc.

I agree - the only point of reference I have of a pure N gauge publication is the NGS Journal with it's discussed failings.

Seeing what N gauge now is like is definitely of interest - do they have any free samples or suchlike of their publication?

Cheers,
Alan

Dr Al

Quote from: JimF on July 02, 2015, 02:12:35 PM
As can any other "paying customer" (and I think of it as being a member, not a customer), you have the right to take your concerns, issues and opinions direct to the Society. To complain and bash someone on a public forum is just the old "I've got a soapbox, and I'm gonna use it" thing.

If there is an NGS thread we should move this discussion over there as there's clearly some discussion to be had on it that's OT to this thread!

Cheers,
Alan

Tank

How about here?  http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20868.msg314415#msg314415

I have just posted the latest information on the thread about the next Journal.  The editor of the journal isn't able to do it on here.

red_death

Quote from: Dr Al on July 02, 2015, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: Pete33 on July 02, 2015, 11:08:27 AM
Are people less confident about sending in something that would meet the editor's stringent requirements for providing modelling education?

I wouldn't - mainly because I do more steam modelling than diesel electric, and knowing his bias what's the point?

Which is clearly self-fulfilling your bias! Given that Grahame regularly publishes steam modelling (and indeed has devoted whole issues [of Nspirations] to modelling steam), I think we can firmly put to bed any idea that his personal preferences would stop him publishing steam articles....

I can't help feeling that some folk want to be outraged for the sake of it.

Cheers, Mike

Dr Al

Quote from: red_death on July 02, 2015, 03:39:57 PM
I can't help feeling that some folk want to be outraged for the sake of it.

"Outraged" is somewhat hyperbole....I'm just expressing a valid opinion.

Anyways, this is OT and should be on the thread Tank has suggested, so on NGS I shall say no more here.

Cheers,
Alan

georgehgv

Is N Gauge Now still on target for the end of July? (2015) that is .
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Latest Youtube video is here.

https://youtu.be/x50gYil5tAs

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

tripper

Quote from: georgehgv on July 19, 2015, 07:12:53 PM
Is N Gauge Now still on target for the end of July? (2015) that is .
Hi All,  In the letter sent to subscribers the indication seems to be the second half of July,  I was wondering if any subscribers have received their copy yet.
Regards, Ken.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations